Wega - Satellite pic-in-pic question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stevie-Cho, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Stevie-Cho

Stevie-Cho Auditioning

I'm new to this forum, so apologies in advance if I'm not doing something right...

I have a Sony Wega KV-36FS16, with the dual tuner, connected to a dishnetwork tuner. When I bring up the second picture, all I get is snow. Can the Wega display a second picture when using a satellite tuner?

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

You would need two tuners going to two different inputs on the TV. I have a digital cable going to one and standard cable going to another. To watch two diffferent channels, you will need two satellite boxes.

3. Stevie-Cho

Stevie-Cho Auditioning

Thanks for the response, but if i need two tuners going into the TV, what's the purpose/advantage of having a TV with two built-in tuners?

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Unless your TV's built in tuners are able to tune channels from the dish, there is absolutely no advantage. The only real advantage was that the salesman could charge you more money, although that's his advantage, not yours [​IMG]
    The two tuner system built into TVs are usually standard analog/cable band tuners, which means they are completely incompatible with Digital Band cable, DSS systems and scrambled cable channels. If all you planned to do was use your TV to receive standard Cable signal (or broadcast analog)- then the 2 tuner system would work fine and dandy. However, they would be useless to provide a second picture for PIP (or a primary picture for that matter) if you are using a DSS or Digital Cable system.
    So, if you want 2 pictures from your dish for your PIP- you'll need two tuners compatible with the DSS programming. Since your TV tuner is not able to tune from the dish- the only option is 2 DSS tuners...
    -Vince

5. Stevie-Cho

Stevie-Cho Auditioning

Thanks again. Could I set it up so that one picture is from the satellite and the other picture is from the antenna?

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Most likely. I'm not sure exactly how as all sets are different, but I assume you can set the one input for the line from the sat box and the other for the antenna tuner. I would consult the manual for the specifics.

-V

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I see no reason why couldn't use an antenna for one input.

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I've been theorising about this, since I have the same problem, and based on discussions with a friend who did it, it is apparently possible. (I haven't actually tried it yet though, since the antenna and sat box come out of the same point and splitting the feed is another problem...)

what you have to do is connect the RF directly to the antenna input of the TV, using its internal tuner to tune to free-to-air channels. you then connect the sat box using RCA cables via composite video and audio out to one of the video input channels.

you can then use PIP where one channel is broadcast, whilst the other is anything off the sat box.

let us know how it works.

9. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

i believe that on some of the higher end dish network boxes with the pvr built in, you can use pip as the receiver lets you watch one channel and record another at the same time.
    i remember seeing something about this a while back, if i come across it again, ill be sure to post a link here.

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    As of right now, the only sat receiver that can do PIP is DirecTV's UltimateTV. Dish just released their first dual tuner receiver a month ago with basic software. They have said that updates would add new features but I'm not sure PIP is one of them.

-Robert

11. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor