Wega problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Moya, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Richard Moya

Richard Moya Stunt Coordinator

Hello to all,

I have a Sony Wega KV36FV17 and am having it serviced on Saturday. I have a few questions to ask and see If I can identify a problem BEFORE the tech starts tearing it apart.

The power/standby light normally used to blink 6-7 times on startup--now it blinks 11-12 times upon FIRST startup. After its warm it reverts back to the 6-7 times. There are no other problems after startup. I know there is an error code for # of blinks but Im not sure how many blinks indicate an error code.

Also, about a month ago I noticed on bright screens, the top of the picture is starting to flicker. It does so on all sources esp when viewing menus on DVDs and cable guides. Upon my first call to Service tech (circuit city)--when I explained the problem, he said he is pretty sure its a "power module" and is ordering a replacement. I know CC techs are not the best, but as of right now, its my only option. Is there a bigger problem that I should be aware of? Has anyone experienced similar problems?

2. Richard Moya

bump

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Your best bet is getting ahold of a sevice manual, but I don't know where you'd do so.

Anyone else know where to get a service manual?

4. Richard Moya

I have ordered the manual and it wont be here for a week or so.........

anybody with some background, I would greatly appreciate some help.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm at a loss here. Have you called Sony's service-department number? I'm hesitant to trust the people at CC.

6. Richard Moya

I have called the Sony number--their people say that the standby flash is normal....they also said they cannot identify the other problem without sending out a tech-not for free of course.

7. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Oh, I misread your post, I thought that the picture tube never "caught" and the flash code was the only thing going on. I've had several Sony TVs that exhibited this excessive flashing. I was under the opinion that Sony warms up their picture tubes in a different fashion so they have the flashing to "ease" worry that something is wrong when it takes so long. Of course, thats just my opinion and is only based on 2 or 3 TVs that are all over 7 years old.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

On my WEGA, the LED flashes about four, five, six times after the loud "thump" of the turn-on cycle. After the flashing, you hear a clicking sound and the picture comes to life.