What's new

WEGA problem... Will a quality S-Video cable help? (1 Viewer)

Mitch_B

Grip
Hi all,

I have been experiencing the "funhouse effect" on my new WEGA (KV-32FS13). It is slight, but I hate it. I have purchased two top of the line Monster S-Video cables (PVR to Receiver & Receiver to WEGA) and a top of the line Monster Component cable for the DVD player. I am still awaiting their arrival.

I know the component will help with DVDs. My question is - should I expect to see any changes in the quality of the picture since my current S-Video cables are of the $10 RCA junk? Could these high end S-Video cables help with the "funhouse effect"?

Kind of late to ask these questions, but I'm an impulsive buyer. Thanks in advance for your opinions/answers.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mitch - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but cables have no effect whatsoever on the WEGA "funhouse" effect. This is a problem that's inherent in the design of the device. As a Sony WEGA owner it's just something you're gonna have to learn to live with.

Mitch_B

Grip
Thanks Doug.

I'm sure that the color, etc. will look a bit better at least. Too bad SONY can't get the flat tube perfected (yet). So a SONY technician/calibrator would not be able to fix this either?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Funhouse effect: Things get wider/narrower/taller/shorter as they move across the screen. So named because at carnivals, circuses, or amusement parks there may be a location sometimes referred to as the funhouse where mirrors that so distort objects seen in them are placed for your enjoyment.
Regrettably, CRT technology still has a long way to go to eliminate the funhouse effect at reasonable cost. On "flat screens" the distance the electron beam has to shoot varies from screen center to screen edge and it is hard enough getting the beam to move perfectly evenly in response to the incoming video signal when said shooting distance does not vary as on some curved screen sets. Even the earth's magnetic field can make a difference. The most promising solution is microprocessor control of the electron beam where calibration divides up the screen into 64 (8x8 grid) or more cells that are individually calibrated.
Video terms:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidglos.htm

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 32fs13 with a minor funhouse effect, too. I only really notice it on rare occasions, but it's there.

Am I wrong to assume that even the $2000 36XBR450 or the 40" XBR will have these problems, too?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mitch_B - A Sony service tech can't do a thing to correct the funhouse effect. They can adjust geometry and convergence if need be, but these typically require them to take the set to the shop and put it on the bench. FYI, my experience with my local "authorized" Sony service center has been less than good.

Anthony_J - From what I understand, *all* Sony WEGAS exhibit the funhouse mirror problem to some degree. There also seems to be a wide variation in most of the problems reported with this set within the same model number. My KV-32FS12 exhibits the funhouse (not too bad), uneven brightness and color purity problems. It's less than two years old.

DP

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks