What's new

WEGA Picture Slight Distorted (1 Viewer)

Walter_M

Grip
I recently purchased a 27" Sony WEGA KV-27FS17 TV and I've noticed some distortion in the picture.

The primary problem is that horizontal lines become "bent" around the left third of the picture area. Words and "ticker text bars" (ala CNN) are obviously distorted near the left side of the picture. I believe this is an effect called "flagging."

While the distortion is especially noticable when watching movies in letterbox format, it's also apparent when the camera pans across a scene, making it look as though you are looking at the world through warped glass.

Is this the kind of quality I should expect from this model? Can it be fixed? Or should I take it back.

Thanks.

This is a very common problem with all makes of the flat screen tvs. It is possible to get a good one (so I hear). I've had a Wega and a Panasonic Tau and they both have had these same problems with bowing.

Exchange it if you can and try to check the other set out at the store, if possible. Many folks have swapped tvs several times before finding one without or minimal geometry problems.

Walter_M

Grip
Thanks Chris. I was afraid of that. I've been through this before with computer monitors, but I don't think my better half is going to go for schelping a 27" TV back and forth to the store. The distortion isn't a show-stopper, but I would have expected better.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Walter, geometry problems seem to plague all lines of the new flat tube tvs. If returning it seems not to be a reasonable option then the problem may be fixed or at least minimized by tweaking the geometry parameters within the service menu of the tv. I had to do this for a Toshiba 20AF41 which exhibited some bowing and a noticeable vertical tilt on the right hand side of the screen. I wasn't able to get it perfect but it is improved significantly. I'm sure there are numerous past posts here and web sites that describe what to do to get into the Sony service mode and what parameters need to be changed. Just make sure to do such things using a reference calibration disc such as Avia. Also, make sure you've calibrated brightness and contrast on the set. Pushing the set's power supply by having the contrast too high can contribute to geometry problems.

hope this helps,

--tom

JaimelM

Agent
Just get a friend to help you take back the wega.

I don't think the tv is worth having in your home

if the images look like a funhouse mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks