WEGA Owners: 16 X 9 enhancement observation.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Jul 5, 2001.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I've just got a new WEGA and I am so impressed with the look of anamorphic DVDs using the 16 X 9 enhancement feature. I now find it difficult to watch non-enhanced DVDs. They just don't look very good. Is this just me, or do others feel the same?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, you're not alone. But don't let this distract you from screening great fullframe films. I do admit, however, that letterboxed-only, non-anamorphic DVDs are hard to go back to after seeing anamorphic discs at full resolution.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I have a 36XBR400 and it's hard to watch DVDs on any other TV after experiencing the XBR/Wega irrespective of anamorphic, fullscreen or non anamorphic. Sony Rules!

4. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

There are 2 things you should know about the WEGA 16x9 mode.
    First, the image is squeezed too much in 16x9 mode. You'll have to go into the service mode to fix it. Second, the image is cropped off on the top and bottom so the aspect ratio is 1.85:1 rather than 1.77:1 (16:9). This does not effect 2.35:1 films, but it does adversely affect 1.66:1 anamorphic films the most. It would probably be best to watch 1.66 films in 4x3 mode so the picture is intact.

5. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if the 2 problems Richard referenced are fixed in the XBR450?
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Scott Barnhart
    [email protected]

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Since this set is being discussed, I was watching one while visiting friends and it didn't look as though it was only scanning in the 16x9 space like lowering the scan height would do.
    Instead it looks to be doing the "squeeze" within a DSP. I say this because it didn't look like dead tube space in the area not used in 16x9 mode. Rather, it looked like standard black line scanning. Hearing about a "chop" also implies a DSP it would seem.
    Does anyone have any insight to this? I haven't closely followed the WEGA enough to know their methods, but I do know that some sets simply resize the picture themselves rather than actually changing the deflection to scan the same lines in a smaller area. I have no idea how Sony is approaching it.
    It might be that I was just fooled and I didn't examine it closely at the time.

7. Johnny C

Johnny C Auditioning

I must say, I find non-anamorphic DVDs to be pretty ugly now on my 32FS16. It doesn't prevent me from watching, renting, or buying them, but they are rather disappointing.
    To follow up on the questionable 1.85:1 squeeze process, should this not eliminate the black bars above and below the picture. They remain on mine, and it doesn't seem quite right. What is the service menu fix for this mentioned by Richard?
    As well, has anyone seen a problem with these sets where as soon as the TV is powered on, it automatically enters the 16:9 enhanced mode? Mine should not do this automatically, and it certainly shouldn't be doing it on plain cable, but it does so right off the bat. If I want to watch cable tv (or any other non-anamorphic source for that matter), I actually have to enter the user menu, turn on the 16:9, then turn it off again to get it back to full frame.
    Looks like the problems on my recently exchanged Wega may be worse than on the previous one.....
    cheers
    John

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The ASP setting can correct the oversqueeze problem. Unfortunately, it also affects the size of 4x3 material, so you have to change it back when watching 4x3 or non-anamorphic widescreen material.
    There is also a way to correct the oversqueeze so that it only effects the 16x9 mode, but I believe these settings are only availible on XBR service mode.

9. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

John, I had a 32FS16 that would start up in the 16:9 mode too. On my set, it was actually from making changes in the service mode while in 16:9 mode. Try going into the service mode when in normal mode, and save the settings.

10. Bill Spahn

Bill Spahn Auditioning

I used the ASP1 setting to control the oversqueeze problem on my 36FV26. It only effects the size of the 16x9 image as opposed to the ASP setting which, as mentioned before, effects the 4x3 image also. According to my service manual the ASP1 setting should be available for the FS12, FS16, FV16 and FV26 series.
    Bill

11. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Bill, thanks for the info. How did you go about changing the value? Did you just adjust it until you didn't see any change to what was being projected?

12. Rich Burns

Rich Burns Auditioning

I have some questions about the 16 X 9 enhancement mode.
    I know you have to go to the setup menu and change it.
    Is it for anamorphic DVDs only?
    Do you set your DVD player to 16 X 9 mode too?
    Then do you switch both the TV and the DVD player back to 4:3 for all other media?
    ------------------

13. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Rich,
    1) Yes, it is for anamorphic DVDs only.
    2) Yes, you set your DVD to 16 X 9 mode.
    3) You only have to switch the TV back to normal mode. If you are watching a non-anamorphic DVD it doesn't matter if your DVD player is set to 4 X 3 or 16 X9.
    Kevin

14. Reginald Trent

The 36XBR400 has a auto setting which automatically converts anamorphic DVDs when the player is left in the 16:9 mode. This auto feature is also great when watching DVD bonus material that contains both 4:3 and anamorphic content. So yes, you should leave the player in the 16:9 mode.

15. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

The auto enahnced mode does not work with progressive scan signals. You must turn on 16 x 9 enhanced mode manually which is a real pain in the arse when whatching the previously mentioned DVD's which contain both 4:3 and 16:9 material. I wish Sony would have added a button to the remote to allow the change rather than forcing your to burrow through the menus. Even with a macro, it's a drag.
    Kip

16. Bill Spahn

Bill Spahn Auditioning

KevinO,
    The way I adjusted my 16x9 image is by using the Widescreen Enhanced Circle Hatch test screen on the AVIA disc.
    My dvd player is set for 16:9 widescreen. I put the TV into service mode, then I display the circle hatch. Next I manually set my tv for 16:9 mode (the AVIA disc does not trigger it automatically) and I adjust the ASP1 setting until the main displayed circle is perfectly round.
    When I was done I did notice that the size of the squeeezed picture was still slightly smaller than when the DVD player put in the letterbox lines. Since the circle was round I left the settings where they were. I also noticed that the image was not in the same place when comparing the TV and DVD images, with the DVD image being better centered. I couldn't find a setting to adjust this.
    Bill

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

18. Bill Spahn

Bill Spahn Auditioning

Actually Robert, I didn't "eyeball" it, I used a ruler [​IMG]
    The problem with just reducing the vertical 25% is that you are assuming that there is no overscan in the horizontal. While this may be the case with your front projector, it wasn't with my Sony.
    Bill

19. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Glad you used a ruler, Bill. [​IMG] And yes, I should have mentioned that a 25% reduction assumes zero overscan, and that you should adjust it accordingly otherwise.
    ------------------

20. Reginald Trent

My DVD player is a interlaced not progressive scan. So I guess that makes a difference. I also read the diffrence in picture quality is not dramatic enough to justify buying a progressive scan for the XBR if you already have a interlaced player. However, your mileage may vary.
    ------------------