Wega: Is Red Push Off AXPL 1 or 0???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony_Pat, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

That's the question. The Keohi site says set AXPL to 1 to turn red push off, but Chuckster's Wega enthusiast site says set it to 0. Which is it? And what about AXNT?

2. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

AXPL to 1. This worked on my KV-36FS13.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Tony- I'm glad you asked this question, and hopefully there will be some additional replies. As you indicate, contradictory advice is available on how to handle red push on Sony televisions. I currently have both AXNT (default 1) and AXPL (default 0) set to 0. When I tried it with AXNT set to 0 and AXPL set to 1 (both variables modified from default), there seemed to be TOO MUCH red removed, and skin tones ended up a ghostly white. But I'm not yet completely satisfied with my settings and may experiment with having AXNT and AXPL on 1. In other words, setting AXNT back to its default setting and modifying the AXPL rather than the other way around.

For the most part, color seems reasonably accurate, except on darker scenes where the reds still seem overly emphasized, which is why I'm not yet completely satisfied with my settings. So I guess the best way is to experiment and see what combination of settings works best.

I've also seen recommendations to change the RCRV and RCUT settings, but most of the recommendations focus on the AXNT and AXPL variables. So hopefully some of our TV gurus will be able to give us some expert advice here.

Steve K.

4. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

I think it depends on the specific VVega model ...

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Removing this...the investigation continues

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I don't know the Sony's at all, but I'd be awefully surprised if flipping one option from 1 to 0 (or whatever) turned red-push on or off! That just doesn't sound right as red-push is a byproduct of the way the color decoder is balanced.

This sounds more like some kind of flesh tone on/off option to me.

Then again, I'm really talking out of my a$$ here!

7. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

8. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Tony- What model Sony do you have? Mine is the KV32FS13; it's certainly possible that the FV or XBR series may have different defaults and different recommended values.

I'm almost thinking that it may be best to do the Avia video calibration with the Red filter rather than the recommended blue filter (obviously using the correct color bars). The only thing I'm concerned about is that setting the color and tint to get the proper level of red may result in muted colors other than red. So perhaps it would be best to recalibrate using the recommended blue filter and then fiddle with the RCRV and RCUT settings to see what happens. But I hate to rely on what is essentially a trial and error process.

The strange thing is that colors seem more accurate (but not perfect) using the SVideo input from DishNetwork than using the component input with DVD. So I don't know if it's the component input on the TV that's off, the component output on the DVD or perhaps even the component cables themselves. Perhaps the component signal is just so "pure" compared to other inputs that it doesn't handle them properly. But of course I calibrated it using the component connection, so that really doesn't make sense either. If anything, colors would be correct with component but slightly off with everything else rather than the other way around.

If I sound confused, I am. Hopefully somebody will be able to provide expert recommendations, not only which settings will work best but perhaps explain WHY they work best.

Steve K.

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

10. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

11. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

SteveK, I have the exact model as you, KV32FS13. I definately saw less red when axnt is at 0. I used the burning scene in Memento(happened to be in the player while tinkering) to gauge redness. I left axpl at its preset value(0) as i believe(i could be very wrong) it only affects PAL formatted programming, hence the "pl" as opposed to NTSC, or "nt". Regardless, setting axnt to 0 indeed fixed the red push, improving an already impressive picture.

12. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

Steve_jc, what happens if you set AXNT to 0 and AXPL to 1? Do you get a washed out effect like SteveK does?

On my FV27, I can definitely see an effect on both Avia and VE color bars when both AXPL and AXNT are fooled with. Your logic makes sense; I could see where AXNT would be for NTSC and AXPL would be for PAL, but then AXPL should cause no visible change to the color bars on our American sets.

13. Steve jc

Steve jc Agent

It's been a couple months, but if I recall correctly, I saw no difference when changing AXPL values. I was not using a calibration disc at the time, just went by sight. I'm very happy with the color and probably won't change anything, but from the observations posted here it sounds like there must be more to it than I originally surmised.

14. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Here's my experiences:

I just tried going into the service menu for the first time after watching Baz's Romeo and Juliet. I know the movie is quite colourful but the reds were just too exaggerated.

My defaults for AXPL and AXNT were both "0".

I changed AXPL to "1" and that seemed to do the trick but I think it reduce the reds by too much. Reds were still quite good but everything had that washed out colour like someone said earlier. Changing AXPL really seemed to take the intensity out of all colours.

I then tried AXNT to "1". This barely reduce the red but I noticed it increased the intensity of the yellows.

In the end, I didn't end up changing anything.