Wega / Avia color decoder check

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettB, Jul 2, 2001.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

TV: 36FS16 (1 week old)
    DVD: Sony 360 (connected via s-vid)
    After setting the color and hue with Avia (which seems to me to be the easiest settings to make) I move on to the color decoder check pattern which is there apparently to for the sole purpose of taming red push.
    Anyway, the commentary for the this pattern states that if you have correctly adjusted color and hue, the vertical blue pattern when viewed through the blue filter should be matching the background around 0%.
    However, this is not the case [​IMG]
    The blue is around -20 or -25%
    The green is around -10%
    The red is around +5%
    The color looks good to me, but I don't recall this happening when calibrating my 5 or so yr. old 27" trinitron.
    Anyone have any ideas?

2. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Brett, I noticed the exact same thing with my 36F13. I posted a question a little further down page 1. Responses confirmed what I felt, which was stick with the calibrations from the color bars screen.

3. Jaroslav Jelen

Jaroslav Jelen Auditioning

I too have 36fs13 -- and just did the blue color calibration -- and on the vertical pattern - I also have just about the same results the blue 0% not matching the background. By the way - is there a difference in keeping the colors cool/neutral/warm for this?
    ------------------

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

That's interesting. Because you're calibrating using the blue filter and color bars by design your decoder should be right around zero. Similarly for red or green if you calibrated using their respective filter/bar combinations.
    To answer the second question re: color temperature - in my experience this does not make a difference in the color decoder results.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

5. BrettB

BrettB Producer

It was easier for me to go to my parents and check it out on their tv than it would have been to move my dvd to the bedroom. So I went to my parents (they have about a 10 yr old mits) and I got the same results on their set. [​IMG]
    I hope others will reply w/their experiences.
    Jay, do you have access to a tube tv & dvdp?
    ------------------

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

In my experience, trying to figure out the blue color decoder percentages is the hardest, mostly because blue is dark. To my eye when I calibrate with the blue filter and flashing boxes pattern, I look to be a little undersaturated in the color decoder pattern but I suspect that I'm fairly close and that my eyes are the ones at fault. But normally, the level of error is not negative 20-25 percent. More like it looks like blue is between negative 5-10 percent instead of being around 0. I think one thing for you to try is have someone else do the calibration on your tv and see if they get the same result as you did.
    good luck,
    --tom

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Good point Tom,
    I was beginning to wonder about my eyes [​IMG] so I had my wife look at the pattern while I adjusted the settings and we got the same results.
    ------------------

8. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Have you checked your DVD for any possible Picture settings. Some players have a few options of the output PQ.
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

No, I don't have a direct view in the house.
    The color decoder check is kind of hard to read. I would have preferred the bars to be smoothly gradiated as opposed to defined boxes. When I do this test I either squint to defocus my eyes, take off my glasses (when I'm wearing them), or try to look through the screen rather than at it. I find that it's easier to read in this manner. Recalibrate and try those and see how it works.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."