WEGA 36FS13 Service Menu Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Jul 1, 2001.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I read that changing the Y-DC value on the WEGA service menu may help with the uneven brightness problem. I went into the service menu of my 36F13 and couldn't find this parameter. I looked 3 times. Does anyone know if the name has changed?

2. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any idea. Is there anyway of finding this out from Sony without getting the service manual?

3. Johnny C

Johnny C Auditioning

Hey Kevin,
    I'm barely half a step ahead of you on this one on my 32FS16...I can find the Y-DC in the - service - video section, but I can't save any changes. It just automatically resets after I save and power down.
    cheers
    John

4. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Johnny, the S16 is a 2000 model right? I think Sony has changed the name in the 2001 models. By the way, does your Sony exhibit the uneven brightnesss problem?

5. Johnny C

Johnny C Auditioning

Yeah, I think it's a 2000 model. I don't seem to have the uneven brightness problem, but that's okay because I have a pair of other problems to give me something to complain about.
    Good luck with the y-dc.
    cheers
    John

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Kevin O,
    Reduce SBRT (sub brightness) a few numbers in the service menu to help reduce the uneven brightness problem.

7. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Jason, my SBRT was already at 6. I think someone told me to go to around 5 or 6. If I go lower should I go back and adjust my menu setting with AVIA, or leave it alone.
    Thanks!

8. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Kevin,
    Sounds like it is already at the right value, but if you try lowering it you definately will have to re-calibrate since it will decrease the brightness. I adjusted mine and it helped but it is still visible at times.
    There actully is a fix for this. There is a replacement part - a choke, I think - that supposedly fixes the problem. I think the part is the L504 choke but I'm not positive. The fix has been advertised on this board before so try searching for "uneven brightness" or something. There was also a service bulletin on the sony website in the troubleshooting section that addressed this problem. I'll see if I can find some reference for you and send you the link. The search may turn it up though.

9. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Jason, I found the information you referred to on Sony's website. Thanks for the information! In the troubleshooting problem it said to call Sony's 800 number. When I did that they told me to call Sears. Sears couldn't find any information on the problem. I even gave them the part number of the coil on the "Keohi" website that discusses this issue. I was hoping to get some additional information from Sony, and then pass it on to Sears. No luck there. Anyway, Sears said they'll come out and look at it, but I'm unsure if the technician will have a clue. I can't believe Sony doesn't have a service bulletin on a recognized problem that is discussed on their website! Any advice?
    Kevin

10. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

I'm also doubtful that the Sears tech will have a clue about the problem. I've had Sears techs here twice and they couldn't even handle service menu adjustments. Sears told me that if their tech couldn't fix the problem that they would then pay for an authorized sony tech in the area to work on the set. I suggest you let sears send their tech and when he fails go back to them and tell them you need an authorized Sony tech to fix it. You should be covered by both Sears and Sony's warranties so somewhere you'll get it fixed. I don't think replacing the choke is a very difficult process so someone should be able to do it easily and quickly enough. My advice is keep a case open with both companies and someone will eventually accommodate you.
    Let me know how it works out.

11. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Sony actually informed me that my set wasn't covered by a "Sony" warranty, only a Sears warranty. It seems probable that Sears will pay a Sony tech to fix it. I plan to be prepared to show the Sears guy the Sony website, which acknowledges the problem. The good part is I can live with the problem even if it doesn't get fixed. The WEGA picture still seems the best of all the direct views to me.

12. Mike JM

Mike JM Stunt Coordinator

How do you GET to the Service menu on wegas?
    I have a 36FS12.
    Thanks.[​IMG]

13. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

It is a remote key combination that searching around the websites should turn up.Since it is in the manual I (personally) am technically not allowed to tell you how to do it.

Regarding Sears; all of the brands I have ever serviced carry no factory warranties when purchased from them. Sears was not an authorized servicer for any of them and may have no access to factory training,service bulletins,field notes ,tech reps, or even factory parts.A particular Sears store may have great service but they are operating at a handicap in general.

14. Mike JM

Mike JM Stunt Coordinator

If no one knows or for whatever reason, doesn't want to tell me straight out, could I be pointed in the right direction to find out how to get to the service menu on my Sony Wega 36fs12 model?
    Thank you. [​IMG]

15. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

There was post titled "tips on calibrating a WEGA" on Dec 15 in this forum area with several links to detailed info and suggestions on touching up adjustments.You just need to have more than the last day (default) displayed.(option at top of page)