What's new

WEGA 16x9 mode chopping off the top and bottom of picture (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I realize that this is a known problem that alot of people have experienced, but I dont check this message forum that often, and last time I checked, no one knew how to correct this, but I wanted to know if anyone figured out (in the service menu) to correct the problem of the set chopping off about .5" - 1" of the top and bottom of a 1.85:1 picture when turning on the anamorphic squeeze. This obviously doesnt affect 2.35:1 movies, but it makes 1.85:1 movies look like like 2.00:1 or something like that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Are you saying that your set is actually CROPPING picture area on 1.85:1 films when in 16:9 mode, or that it's just squeezing the raster area down too much? If the later, you can adjust this in the service menu. The setting is either AXP or AXP1, depending on the model.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
When doing 16:9 mode on a 4:3 TV, it is desirable to have some electronic matting (varying the duty cycle of the vertical blanking) to hide scan lines 481-525 which may show up as ragged edges of the picture coming into view. In your case this matting may be too much. Also the picture might occupy scan lines 3 to 482 or (NTSC broadcasts) 1 - 483 instead of 1 to 480 and either you would have to do manual tweaking a lot or leave some extra matting in effect.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Its not an overcompress. I was aware of that problem and already compensated for it.

I guess my problem is what Allan was saying, however, it is just matting too much of the picture. I setup my set with the Video Essentials disc to have around 5% overscan on all 4 sides of the set. When I watch an anamorphic enhanced DVD, if I leave the TV in 4:3 mode, I can see the whole stretched image. If I pause the picture and look at the top and bottom 10 or so lines, and then turn on the 16x9 enhancement, those lines are gone in the squeezed mode. It doesnt seem like a whole lot, but in some movies, it cuts off the very tops of people's heads. Its not that big of a deal. I know other people who have this problem. It appears to jsut be eliminating those lines. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks