What's new

WEGA 16 x 9 squeeze question (1 Viewer)

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
I recently built a home theater and have some questions about the 16 x 9 squeeze.

When I go to watch Star Wars episode 1 on DVD, I set my WEGA to 16 x 9 mode. I have my DVD permanently on 16 x 9 mode. When I start the movie, I have a set of black bars at the top and bottom, and another after that before I get to the picture. When I go to watch some other movies, there is only 1 set of black bars. Is the Star Wars movie extra compressed or something?

Also, I read that the WEGA shipps it's monitor to where it oversqueezes the picture in 16x9 mode. I went to a web site (can't remember the name, I'll find out when I get home) and it told me to adjust the WEGA's squeeze rate to make it larger in 16 x 9 mode. I did this, but noticed when I turned 16 x 9 off and went to watch cable the cable picture was off the bottom of the screen. The stock ticker on CNN was completely off the bottom of the screen. Is there any way to make my WEGA squeeze the correct amount in 16 x 9 mode without pushing my cable picture off the bottom of the screen? MY cable goes through s video to video 1 on my TV, and my DVD is component to video 4.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I did this, but noticed when I turned 16 x 9 off and went to watch cable the cable picture was off the bottom of the screen
What I probably should have mentioned is that you should adjust other settings.

lpin: adjusts left pincushion

rpin: adjusts right pincushion

hpos: moves the picture left or right

vpos: moves the picture up or down

hsiz: lengthens or shortens the picture

vsiz: heightens or shrinks the picture

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
But chuck, if I adjust these settings for my DVD input, when I go to watch cable my screen will be off. I don't understand how I can have the picture look perfect on 1 input while having it look good on another.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Star Wars is even wider (1.85:1), thus there is a little bit of "black bar" left. In other words, before you turn 16:9 enhanced on a 1.85:1 picture will not fill the entire screen and have small black bars on the top and bottom.
Star Wars is 2.35:1, otherwise Chuck's explanation is correct -- and his suggestion of calibrating with AVIA or VE disc is right on the money. If your "inner set" of black bars is brighter than the "outer set", you're overdriving the tube.

Tulli

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie:

I think the Sony Wegas can store different picture settings for each input, so you could callibrate your component video input independently from your cable/TV input.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Oh ya, star wars is 2.35:1, thanks dmitry.... that would explain why both sets of black bars are so pronounced.

As to your question Eddie...could you rephrase it? I'm not sure I follow.

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, when I watch a DVD, according to your web site, my picture is oversqueezed. If I unsqueeze the picture, my DVD picture looks bigger, which is a good thing.

However, after doing this, I turn off my DVD, and turn on the cable, which is hooked up to video 1. When I watch cable, the CNN ticker is pushed off the bottom of the screen. This is a result of the adjustment I made when watching my DVD.

How can I adjust my DVD image to the correct size without messing up my cable viewing size?

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
move the picture up vertically by adjusting the vpos parameter...lemme know if the works well.

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
But, if I move the picture up vertically to make my DVD look better, it will move my cable picture up too. Does anyone understand what I'm saying?

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck, I just realized, your thinking my picture is only too far down. What I'm saying is that my picture is too big to fit on the screen when I adjust it for oversqueeze. The top AND the bottom are cut off when I watch cable.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Eddie, your best bet is to get an ISF guy to perform the calibration of your TV. Not only will he be able to adjust the color settings better than what you'll achieve with AVIA or VE, he'll be also be able to set the geometry to the correct settings (not that you can't but he'll have more experience in the matter). I've heard that setting the geometry on the WEGA is a tricky thing and that there isn't a "perfect" setting to completely satisfy all needs but you shouldn't be so far off on different inputs. Another thing you can try is adjusting these parameters that Chuck has named while watching the cable and see if it affects the settings for the DVD. Maybe they are per input after all, then you'll be all set.

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck, if I adjust my Hsiz and Vsiz, I can make my cable look right, but my DVD will be too small. You see, no matter what I do, when I adjust the settings for 1 input it seems to also adjust the other. I'd like to know how I can adjust 1 input and not adjust the other.

Dmitry, where can I get ahold of one of those guys? and how much do they cost? I live in the Orlando area.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Eddie, try either searching the forum or posting in the TVs area -- somebody would be able to help you better than I am. You can check the ISF website to see if there are trained dealers in your area, but the prices vary a lot depending on a number of factors.

Dan Curwin

Auditioning
Eddie,

I followed Chuck's instructions to adjust the oversqueeze on my KV-32FV27. I'm pretty sure the "ASP" setting only affects the geometry when the 16:9 compression is active, so I don't understand why it's affecting your cable picture.

What model Wega do you have? Does it have the automatic compression feature? If not, did you save your settings with the compression turned "ON"? If so, perhaps it is active when you're watching cable and you need to resave settings with compression turned "OFF"?

Dan

Dan Curwin

Auditioning
I checked back through my notes when I got home from work.

In service mode on my set, I have an "ASP" setting and an "ASP1" setting. I found that "ASP" affects "regular" mode and "ASP1" affects "compressed" mode.

I adjusted the ASP1 value to correct the oversqueeze.

Dan

Jeff

Supporting Actor
You know, if my Wega (32FS12) had the ASP1 setting, I wouldn't feel the need to sell it but I'm so sick of having to go into the service menu everytime I watch a DVD and adjusting ASP. I have no idea why the FS12 doesn't have it.
Does anyone know if adjusting the model ID settings (these ones scare me) would add any new settings in the service menu?
Also, does the 32FS13 have ASP1?
Thanks,
Jeff

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Jeff - I'm in the same boat with my 32FS12. If anyone has information on mucking with the ID settings in the service menu, I'd also love to hear about it.

DP

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, glad I read your site! My Wega has a nasty red push and I wanted to fix it all along. Just one question:
So which takes care of the red push, the first 2 or the last two?
Also keohi says "Set Y-DC to 0 for improved black levels." Also read this here. Just something you might wanna add if you find this useful.
thx again!
edit- Keohi says set the AXPL setting to 1 to fix the red push. My wega was set on 0 by default. Is it possible you put down 0 as an error?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks