wega: 16:9 clarification w/ DVD vs Cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Ma, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I will be hooking up my new 32" wega in the next couple of days and am looking for clarification on the 16:9 option on this TV.

Isn't this mode designed for watching movies/DVDs where the widescreen format is chosen from the movie's menu? What does this do to a regular cable TV signal and will I have to go into the menu and unselect the 16:9 option when going from DVD to TV?

If I understood the documentation right, it seems this mode is designed to improve resolution exclusively on widescreen formatted material/playback. But it also seems like this might be the only time this option would be utilized and it would seem like somewhat of a pain to go into the menue and switch modes all the time. Am I on target or heading in the wrong direction here?

Any input appreciated.

--Steve

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Depends on your model Wega. On the models where the 16:9 feature is automatic, it will detect the incoming signal and process the picture accordingly. So an anamorphic DVD will turn this feature "on" and squeeze the viewing area. You must also set your DVD player to 16:9 and leave it that way. Then when you pop in a DVD and you're given a choice (ex. Toy Story) between Widescreen and Standard, choose Widescreen.

On the Wega models where this feature is not automatic, you have to go to the setup menu and turn the feature on. Many of us (myself included) have this sequence of steps recorded into our programmable remotes so it becomes a one button operation. If you switch inputs from DVD to cable (or satellite or vcr) the picture will "unsqueeze" automatically.

If I'm not mistaken, only DVD's and HDTV are capable of utilizing the 16:9 enhanced resolution option. I don't know about digital cable since I don't have it. Hope this helped.

3. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

THANK YOU!
    That was a big help and is exactly what I was looking for. So my assumpions were correct. Now, I only need to figure out if this feature is automatic. I guess I'll know soon enough, but if you or anyone knows, this is the one I bought. It is the KV-32FS13
    Thanks again,
    --Steve
    [​IMG]

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Actually any video source can be 16:9 enhanced, I possess a 16:9 laserdisk. It is too bad that TV sets did not have easily adjusted height controls since day one, in which case there would be a lot more anamorphic material around.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. John_Bonner

Steve,

The FS models do not have auto 16:9 enhanced. You'll have to change it in the setup menu when you want to watch an anamorphic source or get a remote control with a macro feature that allows you to memorize several key strokes and play them back with one push of a button. I have the Cinema 7 All-For-One and I love it. It controls all of my components and only costs about $30.

6. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Thanks all for the help. Great responses.

--Steve

7. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Got the TV up and running w/o a prob. Calibration was a snap. Thanks all for the input. Here is a question, however:

How many people are using the Widescreen option (from the DVD) and the 16:9 squeeze (on the TV) together? Sure, it's crisp and clear and yes, you see more horizontal real estate, but it seems like with both options activated, your losing at least 40% of the sreen with the size of those black bars??

-Steve

8. BarryNS

BarryNS Stunt Coordinator

Steve make sure your DVD player is set to 16:9 widescreen mode in its own main setup menu. I noticed the same thing when I first fired up my sister's new 27inch WEGA - the picture appeared "flattened" when I switched the TV to 16:9 enhanced mode. Back into the DVD player's setup menu and a switch from the 4:3 letterbox to 16:9 letterbox setting and the problem was solved - correct letterbox viewing format and glorious anamorphic enhanced image!

9. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

You loose no more screen than if you let your DVD player letterbox the image for you, you just have more scan lines making up the image, therefore it is sharper. You need to leave your DVD player in 16:9 mode all the time. If the source is anamorphic, is will display the image so it looks stretched vertically before you switch your TV to the enhanced mode.

10. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Thanks Guys,

I need to double-check my DVD's players menus. It's a Marantz DV3100. I quickly glanced at them and didn't see the option for 16:9 mode, but then again, I could easilly have missed it, being so excited about the TV itself.

Will report results in the next day or so but thanks for the input.

--Steve

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Be aware as well that the 16:9 option on the WEGA only applies to the component and S-Video inputs.

DP

12. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

OK, the DVD player has always been set to 16:9. But that still leaves my question. Actually, I suspect it might be me just needing to get used to a new viewing experience.

What I was referring to was the "widescreen" mode on some movies in the movie menu in addition to the 16:9 settings on the TV and DVD player. This is what I end up with.

* DVD set to output 16:9

* TV Set to view at 16:9

* Movie set to widescreen (on movies where it's an option)

Is this setup preferred for a more accurate video reproduction? Maybe I'm just not used to watching the movies with a decent TV.

Thanks again and sorry for the newbie questions.

--Steve

13. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

make sure it's an anamorphic disc and not just a non anamorphic widescreen disc.

14. John_Bonner

15. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

OK all, I think I should be set for now. Thanks again for all the help.

--Steve

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

17. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I lied....I'm not all set. How often and when are you all using the VM option? Is there a rule of thumb?

--S

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    VM stays off -- always. Fortunately, the new WEGAs allow you to turn it off with regular menus. You used to have to get into the service menus to turn it off.

Before we send you off again, short of getting a professional ISF calibration, the closest I have found to proper grayscale out of the box is in the "Movie" mode with "Cool" color temperature selected.

Regards,