What's new

Weezer's red Album... (1 Viewer)

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
So, Weezer released their 6th album on Tuesday. It's their third eponymous album; now they've hit all the primary colors (Red, Green, Blue). I've only listened through once... but it seems to be an interesting new direction for the band.

I figured I'd post here to see if this band is even relevant to anybody anymore (besides people who were at an impressionable point in their lives during the mid-90s ;) ). And if so, whether anyone has thoughts on this release.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm one of the impressonable ones. ;) BLUE and PINKERTON are two of my favorite albums. I still have to pick this one up, but yeah, Iconsider them still relevant. They have a sense of inncocence and melody that a lot of the copy cats are missing.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator

Exactly. And their use of harmony (instrumental and vocal) is great as well. All 4 of the guys are obviously very talented musicians.

On a side note, I must admit, from time to time, I have found some of Cuomo's lyrics almost cringe-worthy, especially during the first few listens... but most eventually grow on me. I think part of what makes them eventually endearing is exactly what you mentioned -- innocence. For someone to use a lyric like "I don't give a hoot about what you think" in today's rock muisc world is jarring at first, but ultimately refreshing... and that particular example, in the context of the song and even of the line itself, is really more germane than a harsher lyric would be. If that makes any sense at all.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yeah, with those first couple albums, Coumo reminded me a lot of Brian Wilson, with that honesty that shines through the songs. He seems to have moved away from that a bit now though.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I like the new album pretty good. My favorites are Blue, Green and Make Believe. I love their pop songs the best, and as such, I'm probably one of the few non-Pinkerton fans. Those other 3 are my favs. This one has some fun highlights.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I've heard nothing but good things about this CD. For some reason, I never got into these guys. I need to check yourmusic.com to see if they have any of their stuff!

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
I think you'd enjoy it, there are some great songs on this album. Standouts for me include "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" (it's just a blast... hard to characterize; maybe "Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' meets Green Day's 'Jesus of Suburbia'?"), and of course the first single, "Pork'N'Beans" (when the chorus kicks in, it'll blow your hair back!).

Also -- I recommend the deluxe edition, because (IMO) 3 of the 4 additional tracks are golden.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Absolutely. It's only $1 more for 4 more songs & they are very good songs too.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator

"Spider" just doesn't resonate with me. I wouldn't call it a bad song, just one that's in REALLY good company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks