What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9-9-2014 (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
How about something for Benedict Cumberbatch fans???

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Don't forget walmart has the 3D CAWS for $20. They're offering a choice of 5 different slip covers.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Steve Tannehill said:
How about something for Benedict Cumberbatch fans???
But of course...

shower02.gif

benedict1.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just watched August Osage County the other day. Cumberbatch was good in that.

I didn't think much of the story though. I HAVE NO IDEA how that play won a Pulitzer Prize. WTF?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mike Frezon said:

I didn't think much of the story though. I HAVE NO IDEA how that play won a Pulitzer Prize. WTF?
It made me feel REALLY uncomfortable, like I was intruding on a private, family moment. I wanted a shower after we talked out of the theater.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Probably just the good Captain (2D BD version) for me (for new release anyway)... though I might go for the Best Buy TV deal to reduce the price on that (much like I did for Spidey 2 a couple weeks back).

Actually, maybe Lemony Snicket's if the reviews make it compelling -- might need to thow the old DVD on to see how it looks projected large first...

Will probably pick up a couple other older releases that may finally come down in price enough for me (as usual)...

And thanks for the WRU, Mike! Been a while since I last dropped by... :P

_Man_

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
Mike Frezon said:

The movie chopped out hunks of the play. See it live with a non-Hollywood cast (like with most plays) and you'll be shocked at how different an experience it can be.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
Matt Hough said:

I'm supposed to get Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to review, but the Marvel side of Disney is being cagey about whether I'll actually get it or not.

They sent me the DVD discs in paper sleeves, which arrived Saturday. I'm just plowing through the commentaries as I work, getting closer to the featurettes and so on that I assume are all lumped at the end.

They are getting really cagey about any review material for Marvel-specific stuff.

I'm fine only getting the case-shucked discs, since I know loads of reviewers go and sell them at secondhand stores day-of-release (I see this all over Austin, no joke), but it'd be great if they'd actually make them available for coverage.

Next thing you know, they'll pull a Fox and send nothing, pointing us to a web portal...somewhat pointless for assessing PQ/AQ...but HEY, what do I know, right? I'm the guy who used to complain there was no way for us to review and promote/recommend/assess the retailer-exclusive extras on things. Silly me, I thought the studios still put effort into catering to the audience that still buys this stuff.

Soapbox over! Back to FitzSimmons bantering out of character!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, I got the same thing today and am now on episode 10. Very disappointing that a show with lots of special effects and sound effects was withheld from reviewers in the best quality possible. The DVDs look and sound fine, but Marvel is their own worst enemy doing business this way.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
Matt Hough said:
The DVDs look and sound fine, but Marvel is their own worst enemy doing business this way.
It seems more and more like TV product is getting pushed back into junk food commoditization. There are prestige things like CBS has done on Blu-ray, but the last wave of Fox seasons (LOUIE, BOB'S BURGERS, etc) were all MoD DVDs with zero extras and no companion Blu-ray releases.

I don't know who the target market is for a season of a TV show in HD on disc for $45 is either. Seems like they'd gross a ton more if they made $25 the standard cost of "a season" of these 22-episode shows, but hey, what do I know????

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Those figures. . .is anyone else a little creeped out by the fact that they look sooooo lifelike but don't really look much like Scarlett?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Anne Hathaway Selina Kyle is probably the best sculpt as far as resemblance I've seen from Sideshow. Having the mask probably helps though.

301190_10151026232442344_1142122323_n.jpg

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Best Buy Deal of the Day is Amazing Spider-Man 2 for $14.99 DVD, $17.99 BD, and $19.99 3D BD Combo Pack. Not a spectacular deal, but it's something, I guess.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Aaron Silverman said:
Best Buy Deal of the Day is Amazing Spider-Man 2 for $14.99 DVD, $17.99 BD, and $19.99 3D BD Combo Pack. Not an AMAZING deal, but it's something, I guess.
FIXED

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
JakeLip said:
so I will get Captain America and The Goldbergs together. Anybody who has not seen The Goldbergs but enjoys family sitcoms should definitely check it out; it never really made sense to air it after Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and I'm glad ABC will be putting it on Wednesdays in between The Middle and Modern Family this year.
Hello all---

I absolutely agree about THE GOLDBERGS. Very entertaining show with a great cast.

So...why is it apparently NOT available on blu-ray? I'd buy the blu-ray immediately...but it looks like there isn't one.

Regards,
matt

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The same question could be asked of a number of other series (Elementary, How I Met Your Mother, the list goes on). It usually comes down to money and what the studio thinks they'll actually make off a Blu-ray option. Whether that's a fair assessment is another question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks