What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9-25-2012 (2 Viewers)

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I went to Target at about 2:00 p.m. On release day and found about 200 copies of the 2D Blu ray and no 3D copies. I asked for help and a Target employee started looking with me and we both spotted a single 3D copy simultaneously. At the time I was annoyed that the store had such unbalanced stock (there were 2D copies absolutely everywhere) but after reading these posts I realize there were other forces at play and I consider myself lucky. I bought with my red card and got another 5% off. :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think it's too late to get Avengers on 3D for the $19.99 deal at Target. It's off to Amazon then.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I think the big "problem" with the Target sale was not selling the 2D only version for $18.99. I bet a lot more people without 3D TVs would have picked up the 2D only copy to save the dollar but for the same price, why get 2D only?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Target Red Card is either an in-store credit card, or a Visa card, depending on what you apply for.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Either a debit card that only works at Target or the target CC. Both give an additional. Five percent discount.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey /t/323953/weekly-roundup-9-25-2012/120#post_3981657
I think the big "problem" with the Target sale was not selling the 2D only version for $18.99. I bet a lot more people without 3D TVs would have picked up the 2D only copy to save the dollar but for the same price, why get 2D only?

They surely could have done that, but wasn't the underlying issue that prompted the price change the fact that Target was advertising the inclusion of an "Exclusive Blu-ray Bonus Disc" in their 2D Combo pack when it didn't exist? Since only the 3D sets contained the disc, they began selling it at the advertised 2D price. Aside from the additional 3D disc, I believe the contents are identical. Since most other retailers went ahead and matched Target's advertising SNAFU price, despite this thing selling like hotcakes, I doubt it will generate the profits it normally would have from a boffo first-week of sales.

croooow

Grip
Real Name
Nicholas
Chuck Anstey said:
For me, it was the digital copy. The 2D version did not come with it, even if they did bring the 2D version down to $18.99 or even $16.99 (the price of the DVD) then I would still go with the 3D version at $19.99, I was planning on getting it at the $24.99 price just to be able to have copies in Blu-Ray, DVD and Digital.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, the Bond 50 blu ray set jumped up to $170 at Amazon. The Avengers blu ray 3D also jumped up to $37.99! I guess those prices last week were only good opening week. I never knew Amazon did that before. Target's site will not show the 3D blu ray of The Avengers. looks like the Costco prices are the lowest now assuming they retain the $149.00 price for the Bond set and $33 for The Avenger 3D blu ray set. Though I stopped by Costco Saturday and they didn't have copies of The Avenger 3D blu ray anymore.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Nelson Au said:
I think it's too late to get Avengers on 3D for the $19.99 deal at Target. It's off to Amazon then.
Its not on Target's web site and $37.99 on amazon.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
pitchman said:
They surely could have done that, but wasn't the underlying issue that prompted the price change the fact that Target was advertising the inclusion of an "Exclusive Blu-ray Bonus Disc" in their 2D Combo pack when it didn't exist? Since only the 3D sets contained the disc, they began selling it at the advertised 2D price. Aside from the additional 3D disc, I believe the contents are identical. Since most other retailers went ahead and matched Target's advertising SNAFU price, despite this thing selling like hotcakes, I doubt it will generate the profits it normally would have from a boffo first-week of sales.
No, the Target exclusive disc was included in the 2-disc copies. There was something else incorrectly advertised about the 3D set, but I forget what it was.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The error was that the ad indicated that the 2D copies came with a digital copy for $19.99
Since only the 3D had the Digital Copy, Target made good by reducing the 3D cost to $19.99

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Since I had always planned on getting the 3D version at Target, when I picked mine up, I saw the price correction notice, but didn't pay too much attention to it...except for the part about getting an extra $5 off!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
Wow, the Bond 50 blu ray set jumped up to $170 at Amazon. The Avengers blu ray 3D also jumped up to $37.99! I guess those prices last week were only good opening week. I never knew Amazon did that before.
Amazon's prices are usually price matches of brick & mortar retailers. The stores like Best Buy and Target raise their prices after the opening week, and then Amazon no longer has to match such a low price.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Thats the only reason I made a trip to get Avengers when I did. I knew if I didn't grab it for $20 it would be a while before I could snag that price again...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Adam.
At least I got the Bond set at Costco for the $149 price. I missed the Avengers $19.99 deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks