What's new

Weekly Roundup 9/24 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
P.S., I see the post counts are now MIA. Sure makes me look silly with this: "Hey, this is my 4,900th post! ". Ah, well. :p)

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
They definitely lost my purchase on this one, I will not be double dipping at their benefit, Grease will be a definite "rental" for me.
bodym:cool:v'n

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
P.S., I see the post counts are now MIA. Sure makes me look silly with this: "Hey, this is my 4,900th post! ". Ah, well.
David, you don't really think this is a coincidence, do you? This change is clearly a conspiracy on the part of the administration to sabotage the hoopla and celebration that would naturally accompany the occasion of your 5000th post (which will occur in just a few days if you post at your normal rate). No doubt they are jealous. :)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I placed an order for the 'Dance Pack':

- Grease
- Saturday Night Fever
- Footloose
- Urban Cowboy
- Flashdance

with deepdiscountdvd.com for $77.74 ($15.55 per title). As far as I know this is the cheapest available for Grease from a US distributor. The Canadians are a couple of pennies cheaper but in my view reliability is still suspect.

If one of the B&M's has a 'blowout' on this set I'll cancel my order but I need to consider tax and S&H as part of the equation. Supposedly neither is part of the cost at deepdiscountdvd. Let's see if they come through.

Joel

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Could we keep this thread on DVD deals? If you want to talk about post counts (which are still listed in each member's profile), please go here

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Anyone find a good price for Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" released today? How about a review?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI, my girlfriend pricematched the Fry's $15.99 ad for Grease no prob, no hassle at West L.A. Best Buy. And she got the right version (OAR) to boot, without me having to remind her! What a keeper! :D

Jodee

Screenwriter
Monsoon Wedding is on sale for $19.99 this week at Circuit City. This is by far the best deal on this title (which is a $32.95 list).

Costco also had all the Warner Brothers 2-disc SE's for $17.49. The 5 new titles (True Romance, Amadeus, Unforgiven, Singin in the Rain, Cuckoos Nest) plus Doctor Zhivago & Citizen Kane.

JackJD

Stunt Coordinator
Aside from the DVD deals CC is offering, it may be worth mentioning that Beck's CD, "Sea Changes" is $11.99 and Peter Gabriel's latest CD, "UP" rings up at $10.99!!

I still hate CC...

Cheers, -JD

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you interested in picking up the Space: 1999 MegaSet box at Best Buy, in order to get the bonus disc, I'd recommended holding off and being patient for a few days...

I had a chance to take a quick look at Best Buy's upcoming Sunday ad, and the MegaSet will be dropped down to $119.95. Sure, it's just an extra $10.00 discount, but $10 bucks is $10 bucks! (Just as an FYI, the full retail price for the set is $199.95). There shouldn't be any shortage of box sets in the stores — my slightly out-of-the-way "local" Best Buy had 12 sets in stock this morning.

And for you Gerry Anderson fans out there, A&E's next release in the series is the absolutely cool Stingray: The Complete DVD Set. According to a notice I got from A&E recently, this it's coming out December 3rd, however no retail price or details have been announced yet. My understanding is that this will be a 5-disc set (8 half-hour episodes per disc), and will be housed in a clear quintuplet keep case similar to the Captain Scarlet and UFO releases. Retail price should be around $79.95-$89.95 (estimated). Let's cross our fingers that it includes the recently discovered, "long lost" unfinished ep. #40, an abandoned flashback episode, in one format or another — either just the 4m+ of raw footage found, or in a finished edited format (most of the "footage" was to be taken from three specific earlier episodes).

Also, Supercar and Fireball XL-5 ARE being worked on by A&E for a U.S. release. YESSSSSS!!!! (Oh, and Joe 90 too...)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Swingers CE DVD was $12.99 at Costco. I picked it up, as well as Amadeus CE, True Romance CE, and Grease WS today all at Costco. It was a muy expensive week of DVD buying for me.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Jeff why not buy it and go back next week (you know you'll be back anyway) and have them match the price. You get an extra 10% so it would be $11. =)

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff D -
Whoa whoa whoa, there, Tex... er, Jeff... you've made a few incorrect assumptions about me and this Space: 1999 matter... :D
I was only just trying to save the folks here a little time, money, and possibly an extra trip. As for myself, I already have the new MegaSet in my hands, and the fabled Bonus Disc (which is awesome beyond belief), so buying it now and going for the refund later just won't do much for me.
But I think we'd all be in agreement that it sure isn't worth the extra buck trying to wait in line at BB for... anything. *Shudder!!!!*
Uh, oh... you got me started now... back to reality for a sec... You know, sometimes it's almost worth it to NOT get the refund, especially it if means having to wait in their refund lines. I'm in Los Angeles, and the return/price-match lines here are really a pain. It's especially frustrating when they have one person working the returns, while there are another five (or ten!) are just sitting there behind the counters staring at us all. :angry: Annoying. I've had to wait up to 45m before in one of these lines, and almost died waiting. Really, no kidding — I'm disabled, and if I try to stand up in one place for too long, my legs just collapse. And they have. Scares the crap out of them, but at least they help me immediately after that happens...
Here's another one, and something alter-Jeff brought up in the earlier post: Has anyone ever actually been able to get Best Buy to honor their extra 10% price difference guarantee? I've never, ever, ever, gotten them to honor it — they always have an excuse. The 10% doesn't apply to in-stores price matching, the 10% doesn't apply when matching to other store's ads, it doesn't apply to DVDs, it only applies when it's 110 degrees outside and snowing at the same time, you only get the 10% on Thursdays at midnight, blah blah blah. They sure love to take our money, but they don't ever want to legitimately return it to us following their own rules and policies...
Ok, I'm outta here...
Best,
Jeff

BrentJ

Second Unit
Seems that Wal-Mart isn't carrying the new True Romance SE. I went to 2 in my town and neither had it.

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
best buy was out of singin in the rain so I tried walmart next door and they didnt have any of the new warner titles. thankfully they did have it at target. all in all a pricey day for me singin and swingers at target, unforgiven and true romance at best buy.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I decided to run out and get Singin' in the Rain last night. I didn't think to check online first--I mean, it was in the flier, so I figured there'd be plenty--so of course, when I got there, they were sold out of it (they were also out of True Romance). They checked the other local stores, and both had copies in stock as of the morning inventory (4 at one, 3 at the other). As we headed to the nearest store, I called ahead just to check. The guy said they still had a few copies, and I asked him to reserve it. He didn't think he had to, but I insisted. I showed up about 10 minutes later, and my reserved copy was the only one left in the store. I was told by another media person that each store only got in "a few" copies.

For the record, I thought the disc was amazing! The picture is truly breathtaking. One of my favorite parts so far, though, is the Reel Inspirations section on Disc 1 (I think that's what it's called), that tells about early landmark films that helped make the transition to talkies. I hadn't read this elsewhere, but if you highlight the movie poster then hit enter, you're taken to a clip from the film. For The Jazz Singer, you get the Toot-toot, Tootsie clip (begins with "You ain't heard nothin' yet). Hopefully this bodes well for a future Jazz Singer DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks