What's new

Weekly Roundup 9/24 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]Link Removed I Got Chills...They're Multiplyin'...Link Removed[/rant]
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

Hey, this is my 4,900th post! :eek:
[c]
__________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo__SamsClb
Amadeus - 2Disc__________$19.99__$19.99__$27.00__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Boomerang - SE___________$18.74__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Ed Sullivan R&R #1-9 Set_$127.49__$129.99__$169.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Ed Sullivan R&R #1:65-67_$14.99__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Ed Sullivan R&R #2:68-70_$14.99__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Enigma___________________$20.97__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Flashback________________$18.74__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Grease - WS______________$17.54__$17.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Hanky Panky______________$18.71__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
A Hard Day's Night_______$22.49__$17.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Homework (Joan Collins)__$14.99__$19.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
LambChop's Chanukah Sup._$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Lexx S3 #4_______________$18.71__$19.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Lupin The 3rd: PoHT - SE_$22.46__$24.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Major League_____________$18.74__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Mary Tyler Moore Show S1_$37.49__$39.99__$39.99__$32.99__$35.98
Murder By Numbers - WS___$19.99__$15.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$17.48
Nick Jr. Holiday_________$14.99__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Nosferatu (1922 Kino)____$18.71__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
One Flew/C's Nest -2Disc_$19.99__$19.99__$27.00__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Project Greenlight_______$52.49__$49.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Rugrats: Decade/Diapers__$14.99__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Singin' In/Rain - 2Disc__$19.99__$19.99__$27.00__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Sopranos: Unauthorized___$14.96__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Space: 1999 MegaSet______$149.96__$129.99__$199.95__$99.99__$99.98
Surviving Gilligan's Is._$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Swingers - Collector Ed._$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Thomas tTE:Salty's Secr._$14.99__$12.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Thomas tTE:Spills/Chills_$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Thomas tTE:Christmas Wn._$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Trading Places___________$18.99__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
True Romance - 2Disc_____$19.99__$19.99__$27.00__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Unforgiven - 2Disc_______$19.99__$19.99__$27.00__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Whre The Wild Things Are_$11.21__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]
* BE CAREFUL! Both Grease and Murdery By Numbers are available in Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one. "See What You've Been Missing: SEE IT IN WIDESCREEN!" :)
* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. Example: Big Fat Liar.
* The History of Beavis & Butthead was yanked from release at the last minute by Paramount, due to an item on the disc not being cleared for rights licensing issues. No idea if it will be reoffered later. Stores which had already received their copies were instructed to return them immediately. If you are EXTREMELY lucky, you might find a store that disregarded or never received those instructions. Good luck; you'll need it!
* Best Buy will take $5 off the total when you purchase any two of the new Warner 2-Disc Special Editions at the same time: Amadeus, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Singin' In The Rain, True Romance, Unforgiven. Also eligible: Citizen Kane, Doctor Zhivago.
* Best Buy will also take $5 off the total if you purchase A Hard Day's Night and any Beatle's CD at the same time.
* Best Buy's copies of the Space: 1999 MegaSet have an exclusive 17th Bonus Disc in them which includes: Remastered copies of the episodes "Death's other Dominion", "Dragon's Domain", and "The Testament of Arkadia"; the Fan-Based Series Ending called "Message From Moonbase Alpha", Interview with designer Keith Wilson, Alternate Scenes from Key Episodes, and an extensive Photo Gallery with lots of interesting stuff. The disc comes in one of those white sleeve with the round plastic window. To get this Bonus Disc, you have to pay $30 more for the Best Buy set compared to Costco or Sam's Club. For folks who aren't members of the clubs, this is a no-brainer. For members like me...well, my wife answered the dilemma and bought it for me! "Early Christmas Gift", Stephanie said. I love her! :)
* K-Mart has Grease and Murder By Numbers for $19.95 each.
* Target is apparently taking a break this week from their great sale prices last week. CompUSA has no sale prices either. Wal-Mart isn't advertising any deals. Circuit City has some things on sale, but no package deals or other special values. Seems like it's "stick it to the customer" week this week! :frowning:
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• Heavenly Creatures (Special Edition) $29.99 $19.99
I believe that there are many more markdowns than that this week, but VideoTropics isn't listing them and I can't find an easy list anywhere. So if anyone can contribute, please do so! Thank you,

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
many titles i'd like to get this week, but $20 for most of those big ones sheesh.

AND $27 AT CIRCUIT CITY.

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your efforts every week, as always!

Thank goodness, another light week which allows me to save up for the blizzard of Box Sets coming out between now and the end of the year!:b

Carlos

Duncan Reno

Agent
Thanks Dave as usual great job. Too bad there aren't any better deals or the Warner 2 disc S.E.'s.
I wasn't really interested in the Beavis & Butthead disc but I love a good chase I'll see if I can track one down.
Also there is another Border's coupon for 10% off total purchase good through 10/26. It says nothing about not including dvd's. View it Link Removed

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Dave, thanks as always for the WR. It's a shame you had to work extra hard this week with so many releases, and the stores responded with a really weak set of deals. I'm buying 12 titles this week, and only 1 of them (AHDN) is being purchased at a B&M. The other 11 are on their way to me from DVD Empire & Deep Discount DVD. I'm saving BIG bucks this week by going mail order.
One other note on Grease - if anyone is also planning on picking up Saturday Night Fever & Urban Cowboy on 10/8, you may want to wait a couple of weeks as Paramount is releasing a "John Travolta Collection" box on that date that contains all three films (yes, the box includes the widescreen Grease). Some of the e-tailers are showing good prices on this box and it's possible there may be some good B&M deals as well.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
It looks like going online may be the solution this week. If you're not in a hurry, DeepDiscountDVD has the new ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST SE for $16.75 with free shipping.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
More ways to get Grease:
Dance Pack Gift Set
With Saturday Night Fever / Grease / Flashdance / Footloose / Urban Cowboy.
$81
or
The Travolta Collection
With Saturday Night Fever / Grease / Urban Cowboy as mentioned above.
$49
The interesting thing is that if you enlarge the picture it looks like these packaged version are not on that new, slim-fold case. Maybe they're in the tradditional cases (of which I forget the name)?
PS Borders can shove it. The list is much easier to read without them.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Thanks for another great round up Dave.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
I pre-ordered Major League & Trading Places weeks ago as you can never find back catalog new releases at Best Buy & Circuit City on release day. But will pick up Rugrats for my little one.
Joe

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This is one week when the Roundup has rreeaallyy come in handy. LOTS of titles I want this week!

Thanks, Dave!

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
This week's gonna hurt - anyone know what's up with Costco lately? I've always been able to find prices for their new releases online, but they've been excluding titles more and more (just look at all the "N/A's" in the recent WR's).

Anyways, thanks Dave!

FYI - Don't pick this month's "Total Movie" mag if you want it for the DVD of "Species." It's a horrific P&S only transfer that looks worse than VHS!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
PS Borders can shove it. The list is much easier to read without them.
:D Warren, I tend to agree. But with the Link Removed that Duncan brought to our attention (thank you!), which does NOT exclude DVDs (as I was told it would by Borders management), let's see what we can see anyway?
First thing I notice is the # of titles that Borders is NOT carrying. Leastwise, they aren't listed on the inventory lookup at Link Removed. A significant # of titles NOT listed are from Paramount, which is strange since Grease is listed (though at the hefty price of $23.99!).
Roundup titles which you should NOT bother to look for at Borders: Boomerang - SE, Ed Sullivan R&R #1-9 Set, Ed Sullivan R&R #1:65-67, Ed Sullivan R&R #2:68-70, Flashback, LambChop's Chanukah Sup., Major League, Thomas tTE:Spills/Chills (though other Thomas titles are listed!), Trading Places, and Whre The Wild Things Are.
Everything else on the Roundup is listed at the site. Nothing is a better price than anywhere else without the 10% off coupon.
With the 10% off coupon, the follow 7 titles become better than any prices on the Roundup: Homework (Joan Collins) $13.49, Lupin The 3rd: PoHT - SE $23.39, Nosferatu (1922 Kino) $17.99, Project Greenlight $48.59, Rugrats: Decade/Diapers $17.09, Surviving Gilligan's Is. $15.29, and Swingers - Collector Ed. $13.49.
It's also worth noting for non-Costco/Sam's members who don't care about the Space: 1999 bonus disc, that with the 10% coupon Borders comes to $121.49 on that item.
For the 2-3 titles on that list that I might be interested in, it would only constitute a $5 savings. Not worth the hassle *I* have experienced there lately, despite 1 VERY nice lady who works there. She's gone out of her way and busted her rear to make a customer happy, but noone else has. And with the hassle of the DVD discounts, for me it's too little to save to be worth the trouble.
For those of you with better Borders experiences, though, have fun.
As for JamesY's post: 1) Costco's always been like that. For a while they were getting better, but right now they are no worse than they usually are historically. They just don't carry the same list of inventory online vs. in-store. I dunno why; they just do. I always recommend checking Costco (and Sam's) in-store, and don't hold too closely to the Roundup on those those clubs. 2) Agreed on Species in the current issue of Total Movie magazine. It's a MAR release with 2.0 sound and a piece of $#!+ that you should avoid like the plague. NOT a bargain at $7.99, unless you like your toilet paper in a high-gloss style and with a free coaster. I got suckered in; don't you all get suckered, too!

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
I was in Costco today. Not that the movies were already out, but all the SEs (True Romance, Singing in the Rain, etc...) were listed at $17.49, which means the Best Buy deal is NOT that good.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
If I remember correctly, Criterion is supposed to release Spellbound and Man Bites Dog this week. Anyone know the pricing on them, or if they are even coming out this week?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Note for those Heavenly Creatures fans - BestBuy seems to have it for $14.99 on Tuesday. Not sure if any other locations will beat that or not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes i would like to see a price for spellbound also.

Terry H

Second Unit
I may very well be the only one who cares... but the A&E series Horatio Hornblower(MSRP $60) and Horatio Hornblower:The Adventure Continues (MSRP $40) have been combined into one set Horatio Hornblower: The Complete Adventures(MSRP $80) which shows a release Date of 09/24/02. This can be found at deepdiscountdvd for $42.53. Not bad.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hmmmmm. Wonder why Circuit City is so much more expensive on so many titles this week?

Think I'll be making my way to BB for the $5 off Amadeus & SITR. Maybe even the $5 off Hard Day's Night and a Beatles CD (if I can find one I don't already have!)

Thanks, as always, Dave!

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Blockbuster Video prices

$19.99 (Singin in the Rain SE, One Flew Over SE, Major League, Murder by Numbers, Grease WS or FS)

Also the 10 week Spider-man DVD deal starts Tues ($29.99)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
For the guys looking for Spellbound info: your best bet is probably going to be DVD Empire or DVD Planet, both of which usually price Criterion titles at 35% off for pre-orders. Other than The Royal Tenenbaums (which was a special case because it was a join Criterion/BV release) I've never seen a B&M come close to the online discounts you can get for Criterion. Most Criterion releases are too obscure for the B&Ms to take notice of.
Spellbound is definitely coming out this week - DVD Empire shipped my copy on Friday. I paid $25.97 (35% off list) for it.
...the A&E series Horatio Hornblower(MSRP $60) and Horatio Hornblower:The Adventure Continues (MSRP $40) have been combined into one set Horatio Hornblower: The Complete Adventures(MSRP $80) which shows a release Date of 09/24/02. This can be found at deepdiscountdvd for $42.53.
Thanks for the heads-up, Terry. I may have to snag that deal!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks