What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9/20/2005 (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Actual Costco in-store price on Battlestar Galactica was a few bucks less than in the round-up. I left my receipt in the car so I won't have the actual until later unless someone else posts it in the meantime.

Regards,

Jay*W

Second Unit
For those considering getting DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES at Target for the bonus disc with the "Sorting Out The Dirty Laundry" episode, please be advised that this "episode" is only 23 minutes, is full screen, and is narrated by John O'Hurley (i.e., J. Peterman from Seinfeld).

It is not the actual summary episode that appeared in April of last season. Apparently, it's a new clip show that E! aired last Saturday that covers the entire season (credit goes to ravma in the HT Software - TV Shows forum for the information on the origin of the "episode" included on the Target bonus disc).

Kind of a bummer.

Jay

Bob_Brown

Auditioning

I just returned from Costco -

Battelstar Galactica - $36.49
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan - $17.49
X Files Mythology V.01-ABDUCTION - $26.99

Bob
Lansdale, PA

James D

Second Unit
Bob-Costco currently has a coupon that takes $10 off of $26.99 on quite a few of the Fox TV sets. You can get the X-Files Mythology sets for $16.99. The sale ends on September 25. I think that there is already a thread discussing this deal, but here are some other sets that are part of the sale-

Remington Steele 1
Pretender 1
Wonderfalls
Dynasty 1
Lone Gunmen
the aforementioned X-Files Mythology 1 and 2
Arrested Development 1
M*A*S*H(2 different seasons-unsure of which seasons)
a compilation of Ally McBeal
In Living Color

and probably a few others that I cannot remember.:)

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Also at Costco, Barbie/Pegasus was $11.89 and if you bought another Barbie disc at $12.99, you got five bucks off at the register. Stockings are getting stuffed (yes, I'm Christmas shopping)

Mike, I recognize and appreciate the amount of work that goes into this, I'd just add to my prior comment that new release stuff is what would interest me the most (since I've found the initial release to usually be the best price for the next six months.)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Probably closer to 6,000 Mike! :p)

I certainly am glad you included Justice League and Teen Titans this week, Mike. Those are must-haves for my 7-year-old boy.

Mike's dead-on: when I started this thing, it was all about sharing what I did for myself. Since I have a kid, I always included things for him on the list. As well as stuff for myself and my wife. As this became a regular gig, I made sure to include "popular" stuff for other HTFers...and by popular I mean the titles that folks had been talking about in the forums, even if I wasn't interested in them for me or my family.

Mike, I think you just have to keep that in mind, and remember that this is all about helping folks find the best deals. And bunches of us either have kids or are just big kids ourselves. :)

By that token, I wouldn't have included Barbie on my own personal shopping list, but it for-sure would have been in the Roundup...whether or not the flyers were showing it off. While I won't name examples (don't wanna piss off people who like the titles!), there are plenty of times I including stuff on the list where I was like, "yuck, who would buy THAT!?" :laugh:

So that's my public scolding of you, Mike...suck it up and keep the kiddies in mind! You won't please all of the people all of the time (you can't, as the cliche goes), but it will endear you to more parents in any event.

On the props side, though, you always do a great job here and I'm glad to have passed the torch to someone so capable of getting this done so well. Except for chiding you about remembering the kiddie titles, you do an awesome job here and have certainly improved upon the model that I originated. Good job.

Also, thanks for the help - even if you didn't realize it! - on me getting a TSoD news item together this morning on all the confusing DH deals:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4147

I finally DID get a set at Target, after getting the district office involved (they said it was a computer glitch that kept them from getting copies at that store, but an industry friend of mine says that there were manufacturing hold-ups, and so copies that were dropped-shipped to stores today could have come off the production line as late as yesterday! :eek: That may account for all the missing DH/Lost coupons, missing books, etc.!).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave:

Thanks for the kind words (and after all that time you were tied up in my basement!) and for the nice credit at the end of your news item on the DH deals.

A couple of notes on DH. The price point at BB with the $10 Lost coupon is actually $27.99 sted $29.99. They are giving the coupon off their "regular" price of $37.99 this week. Also, noone seems to be finding Gords rebate of $10 anywhere. I understand your point about the last-minute packaging....but I wonder how we are going to be able to find them?

But...Baby, "gulp", Einstein?!?! I think I need to draw the line somewhere! :laugh:

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the weekly updates, guys! If there really are a massive buttload of kids titles every week like you say, you might consider posting them in a separate grid beneath the regular one. Of course, certain titles like Disney classics would be of interest to both sections...

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

I'm going to check my walmart, that would be a very acceptable price.

EDIT: I just checked my local Walmart and it was $74.84 but it did have the IMAX movie, so it must be with all of them.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I posted this in the Desperate Housewives bargain thread, but it might be worth repeating here so folk who did not get a rebate form with their set don't miss it...

I called the Buena Vista number a few minutes ago.

After sitting through a recorded message and about 8 minutes on hold, I did get through.

When I mentioned "Desperate Housewives" the first thing the Rep said was "ah, you need a booklet!" I explained that I was looking for a rebate form. He said there was no such thing, but there was a coupon at Best Buy.

I pointed out that I believed there was one, and that some people had actually received them. He said he didn't know about it, but would check it for me.

After about a minute or two, he came back on, and said that I was right after all, but that no one had told him about it. He took my details and said that I should receive the rebate pack in 7-10 days.

I guess a few people here will be making a phone call!

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up! I called Buena Vista (1-800-477-2811 customer relations) and they are sending me the rebate form as well. I had called them before to get my missing Lost insert (which arrived yesterday!).

I picked up DH at BB for $24.99 (I had to go over to CS to get the last $3 from the RZ discount).

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Here's what I learned from my area.

I just called two Walmart's within 35 miles of each other. One store has "From Earth To The Moon" priced at $74.84, but the second store has it on sale this week for $64.84! On Sunday it goes up to regular lowprice of $74.84?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, it's confirmed that the Sorting Out the Dirty Laundry bonus dvd from Target is not the actual episode?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
David, you might want to amend your news item about the DH bonus disc to let people know it isn't the actual special aired on ABC.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Mike, I also appreciate the inclusion of kids' titles. :) If you're so inclined, keep your eyes peeled for Go Diego Go. Apparently Diego has usurped Dora in my household...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks