What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon

Weekly RoundUp 9-19-2017
WRU-Banner-16-9-1024x661.jpg

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features

full

– Wonder Woman – 2017

full

– Close Encounters of the Third Kind – 1977

full

– The Lost World – 1925

full

– The Vietnam War – 2017
full

– Gun Fury – 1953
full

– Certain Women – 2016

full

– Bad Patch – 2016

full

– The Adventures of Captain Marvel – 1941

Weekly RoundUp 9-19-2017

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey RoundUppers!

This is the week the much-acclaimed Wonder Woman flick hits store shelves...but there's a lot of other interesting titles making their debut!

Check out the titles and prices...and, safe shopping! :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you, Mike!

The Big Sick is my favorite movie of the year so far, and one of the best and most authentic romantic comedies ever. I would highly recommend it to pretty much everybody and am really excited to add it to my collection. Since it isn't Disney, it is for once coming to me via Amazon.

I liked Wonder Woman in the theater, but I'm not going to put up with Warner's ridiculous $24.99 starting price on that one when holiday discounting is jut around the corner, so that one will go on my "wait for Black Friday" list.

Anybody who liked the movie A Monster Calls, which came to disc in March, should note that Patrick Ness (who wrote the movie, as well as its source novel) has a new book out on Tuesday as well, called Release. It will be coming to me via Amazon with Big Sick.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Mike. I am waiting for price drops on the UHD versions of Wonder Woman, Close Encounters and Starship Troopers. I may pick up the BD release of Firefly at some point, too, but am in no hurry on that one, either.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks as always, Mike! I've been eagerly anticipating this RoundUp, to see what all of the retailer exclusives are for Wonder Woman. I was thinking about making it my first 4K purchase, but the reviews indicate it's upscaled from a 2K source. So I'll probably just go with the Target exclusive digibook Blu-Ray.

On the other hand, the Best Buy exclusive Steelbook for the Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K release sure looks enticing...

Arrow: S5 will be a must-purchase eventually, but I'm going to wait for a decent sale price. The Lethal Weapon TV series was surprisingly well done and a lot of fun, so I'm glad it's coming out on Blu-Ray. But I don't know if it would get enough rewatches to merit a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks as always, Mike! I've been eagerly anticipating this RoundUp, to see what all of the retailer exclusives are for Wonder Woman. I was thinking about making it my first 4K purchase, but the reviews indicate it's upscaled from a 2K source. So I'll probably just go with the Target exclusive digibook Blu-Ray.

On the other hand, the Best Buy exclusive Steelbook for the Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K release sure looks enticing...

Arrow: S5 will be a must-purchase eventually, but I'm going to wait for a decent sale price. The Lethal Weapon TV series was surprisingly well done and a lot of fun, so I'm glad it's coming out on Blu-Ray. But I don't know if it would get enough rewatches to merit a purchase.
As a person with over 100 4K/UHD titles, using that criteria will cause you miss out on some terrific 4K releases that are derived from 2K.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike.

I'm waiting for the Twilight Time releases to review, and I'm guessing Fox will be sending Modern Family since I've reviewed the previous seven seasons, but just like last week's This Is Us from them, it won't arrive until after street date.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I've been looking forward to Wonder Woman, but was hoping it would be at least five bucks cheaper. I might wait for a better price toward the holidays (operative word *might*).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also think I'm going to wait for a better price on WW. I've been looking forward to its release, but I don't want to pay that much.

Waiting for a price drop on Arrow too and I'd probably buy Lethal Weapon when it drops as it's a show I really liked.

I really want to see The Big Sick so I'll rent that.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
I would consider waiting for a price drop on WW 3D but I'm afraid that it might sell out first as have many recent 3D releases. Fortunately, I pre-ordered it from Amazon when it was just under $25, so it's higher than I want to pay but my goal posts have shifted recently with the quick sellouts.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wasn't aware of this, thanks. I just cancelled my Amazon pre-order and will pick this up.
This sudden action from me now has me worried that I am becoming a "Steelbook guy". I think it started last month when I got the three Carpenter Limited Edition Steelbooks from Shout Factory. They looked so cool I felt the need to purchase them. I think I am now sliding down a slippery slope. Next step will be me buying plastic sleeves for them. Maybe I need an intervention?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As a person with over 100 4K/UHD titles, using that criteria will cause you miss out on some terrific 4K releases that are derived from 2K.
I will probably regret this policy down the road when I upgrade to a 4K display and a 4K/UHD player. But right now I'm living in a small cottage with a 39" display, and I'm probably 4+ years out from making the 4K leap. So it's an easy way to keep my media spending in check (at least a little bit).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I liked Wonder Woman in the theater, but I'm not going to put up with Warner's ridiculous $24.99 starting price on that one when holiday discounting is jut around the corner, so that one will go on my "wait for Black Friday" list.

This. Not biting for $24.99 when we all know it will be at least $10 cheaper in 2 months. And the chances of me actually watching the movie within 2 months are slim. So I'll wait.

I have a whole list of Black Friday titles right now...if they drop in price. If not, I can continue to wait...because they always do drop.

Thank you Mike!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This. Not biting for $24.99 when we all know it will be at least $10 cheaper in 2 months. And the chances of me actually watching the movie within 2 months are slim. So I'll wait.

I have a whole list of Black Friday titles right now...if they drop in price. If not, I can continue to wait...because they always do drop.

Thank you Mike!

That's pretty much my plan of attack on most titles now as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will probably regret this policy down the road when I upgrade to a 4K display and a 4K/UHD player. But right now I'm living in a small cottage with a 39" display, and I'm probably 4+ years out from making the 4K leap. So it's an easy way to keep my media spending in check (at least a little bit).
Before I actually adopted this format I had the same mind set as you about not buying 4K/UHD releases derived from 2K elements. However, once I adopted and actually started watching such 4K/UHD releases, I quickly recognize that it was a short-sighted strategy that would prevent me from really enjoying my 4K/UHD display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks