What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9-11-2012 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes. It could be lower now though since it was out early and they usually have those on sale the first week.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Nelson Au said:
I noticed that there has not been a column for Costco prices in many years. Just curious if anyone has seen the Titanic 3D blu-ray there this week? They often have the big mainstream titles. Thanks.
And I'm hoping they will have the Hitchcock and James Bond sets coming up. They had the earlier DVD sets.
Costco's prices on new releases are not as good as they used to be. No longer will they have the best price on those. The value in Costco for me these days is when studios have packages of catalog releases, like the WB Digipaks for $11 recently. Also box sets are usually reasonable, but we'll see how things are this holiday season I guess...

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Costco has Titanic on Blu for $30.99. Oh wait, scratch that, there is a $1.00 off instant rebate, making it $29.99! WooooooHooooooo!!!!

Costco has been steadily moving away from electronics for some reason. My local stores have stopped carrying Wii/Xbox360/PS3 games altogether, and the DVD/Blu-Ray section has been reduced to a 10 foot single-side aisle section. And about 80% of that is DVDs. Coupled with their truly awful prices on new releases, means that there is very little reason to even look there for movies.

The only thing they still have decent prices on are boxed sets.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/323600/weekly-roundup-9-11-2012/30#post_3973548
Matt's review of Lola Versus now has a link in the OP.

Thanks, Mike (AKA Johnny-on-the-Spot)!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Costco certainly has been cutting back on the blu ray and DVD offerings. They've greatly reduced the section at my local Costco too Jeff. I did get a great deal on the box sets for Casablanca and Singin in the Rain.they had this huge Harry Potter blu ray set there. Must have been a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot box!
As has been reported, I stopped by there tonight and got the Titanic 3D and 2D package for the $ 29.99 price as well, the $1 rebate given at the cash register.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/323600/weekly-roundup-9-11-2012/30#post_3973709
Costco certainly has been cutting back on the blu ray and DVD offerings. They've greatly reduced the section at my local Costco too Jeff. I did get a great deal on the box sets for Casablanca and Singin in the Rain.they had this huge Harry Potter blu ray set there. Must have been a 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot box!
As has been reported, I stopped by there tonight and got the Titanic 3D and 2D package for the $ 29.99 price as well, the $1 rebate given at the cash register.
They have reduced the size at my local Costco by at least half too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Costco generally brings in a huge extra selection for the holidays, though, so maybe there will be some good deals forthcoming. My store still had a decent selection this last weekend. Probably a 20-30 foot aisle, two-sided. I notice BJ's Wholesale is also cutting way back on the movie selection the last time I was there (with their recent renovations at my club, they're mostly just a supermarket now; food greatly expanded at the loss of much general merchandise).
Costco's prices are usually competitive if you miss release week sales. I think the Jaws blu-ray is $18.99 everyday. The only lower price I've seen was Best Buy's release week price of $17.99. I thought their price on a recent TV release was also very good (I think it was Grimm, for maybe $29.99 on Blu?). They also often have instant rebates on new releases to make them more competitive with the other retail chains during release week. Be sure and check the shelves for sale signs.
Mike cannot list them in the round-up because Costco no longer lists any movies on their website.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Malcom for explaining why Mike no longer lists the Costco prices. Perhaps we can provide availability and pricing if others ask as you guys did for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/323600/weekly-roundup-9-11-2012/30#post_3973731
Thanks Malcom for explaining why Mike no longer lists the Costco prices. Perhaps we can provide availability and pricing if others ask as you guys did for me.

I always find that to be one of the strengths of the WRU--when people write-in with specific deals they see in-store.

I know there are many times I am left wondering about Target's price on a rather high-profile release that I know they will be carrying on any given week...but which they choose NOT to list in their Sunday flyer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else seeing a price of $24.99 on amazon for the blu of Big Bang Theory: S5?

I keep checking but seeing $29.99.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/323600/weekly-roundup-9-11-2012/30#post_3973744
Is anyone else seeing a price of $24.99 on amazon for the blu of Big Bang Theory: S5?

I keep checking but seeing $29.99.
$29.99, matching Best Buy. Its my wifes fav show and I had $25 GC so it was a no brainer. Brownie points for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks