What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-7-2007 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I was almost going to get Jailhouse Rock this week, but then I notice it's listed for HD/DVD and Blu Ray in Sept, think I'll hold off, I might still pick up Charro thou.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No love this week for 8 Simple Rules...?

My family and I watched the series while John Ritter was in the cast. It was standard sitcom fare...but pretty well written.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was in Best Buy yesterday, and while I didn't look closely, I am 95% certain that the Northern Exposure sets in the $10 bin were the puffy "parka" editions.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Yes, both seasons were the puffy parka editions.

I went to CC and picked up From the Earth to the Moon, Signature Edition, but it was not easy to find. There was no display for it or any of the others priced at $21.99. I finally found one copy From the Earth to the Moon in a box, and there was no one around to help me. It makes me realize how much I hate Circuit City.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Right there with ya. I went with a friend tonight to CC and we unsuccessfully scoured the store for "From the Earth to the Moon." They have to have the worst method of displaying titles and the most brain-damaged way of arranging them. My friend was not seeing any rhyme or reason to how titles were organized, not helped by the fact that some titles were out of their proper sections -- last I heard, "Babel" is not a comedy. I explained that it was in alphabetical order, more or less, starting at the upper left bin and working *down* one column then started again at the top of the next. And you have to look through everything in each bin because what's in front is not usually the only title in that bin. Best Buy doesn't make you handle everything to figure out what they've got.

Also, while I found a couple of the titles I was looking for in the box marked $3.99, most of the titles I found were on the floor, mixed into the regular inventory, with no sale prices tagged anywhere. It definitely pays to go in with a list in hand -- and thank you, Patrick, for providing that list!

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the "Manchurian Candidate" that's part of this sale was the Sinatra/Harvey original, not the recent remake.

All in all, some nice additions to the collection, both this week and last, but I wish it weren't such a trial to go into their stores!

Mary

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just a word to everyone searching for From the Earth to the Moon:

This is a title which has seen an overall price reduction. You can also find it at that $21 pricepoint in wholesale clubs like Sam's, BJs and Costco (providing, of course, that you have a membership and a store nearby). ;)

Archangel

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Wal-Mart had the Divinci Code and Gridiron Gang both at $9.99 yesterday but sadly both were FS editions so I didn't get them :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I always find it interesting...but inexplicable...that if a title has separate OAR and MAR releases and finds itself in a Wal-Mart discount bin or a $3.99 sale at CC (for examples) that it is almost always exclusively the MAR'd version that ends up in the sale.

Why is that?

Mary_P

Second Unit
Thanks for the tip, Mike. I have another CC location to check out tonight for the SNL commercial parodies, but if they haven't got FTETTM, I'll keep my eyes peeled at Costco and Sam's. Thanks again.

Archangel

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Just got back from Wal-Mart.

Their Exclusive TMNT 2-pack includes the TMNT PC game for $19.99
Shooter is on Sale for $9.99
And you can get The Matrix 2 & 3 for $3.99 each.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Because the bargain bins are about getting rid of excess inventory, and that's what that excess inventory happens to be (whether because they ordered high on crop-o-vision or more people are buying the proper version).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Boy. I wish I knew the answer to that...

Either way, I would think that would serve as an indicator to studios/retailers that they are over-exaggerating the interest in MAR'd films.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I found quite a few titles at Target not in the circular:
Beneath: $19.99
The Salon: $19.99
Flash Gordon: $19.99
Disturbia: $29.99 (both Blu-ray and HD)

Also, they have the Planet Earth set in both BR and HD on a featured endcap for $84.99 each. Saw some of the Elvis stuff, 8 Simple Rules, Full House and a few more, but didn't get the prices...

Flash Gordon I'll pick up once it hits the bargain bins...

Archangel

Agent
Real Name
Jason

Same...heck...probably once it hits $10. I used to have it on VHS before I sold my collection.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
Spotted at Costco:

Rome Season 2 $47.99
(Season 1 also $47.99)

Simpsons Season 10 (only Bart Head packaging was stocked) $29.99
(previous seasons, regular packaging, $22.99)

Muppet Show Season 2 (only fuzzy packaging was stocked) $26.89
(Season 1, non-fuzzy packaging, $27.99)

Elvis (Warners Bros box set) $65.99
Elvis (Paramount box set) $44.99
Elvis (MGM box set) $24.99

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

If my Calculations are correct Most Retailers will be paying YOU to pick up a copy of Snakes on a Plane this Black Friday!:laugh:

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien

I went to 2 Costco stores and neither had From the Earth. Fortunately I was able to pick it up at Circuit City.

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
Stopped by Best Buy on Tuesday for the 3-disc King Kong and 4 buck Fargo. I also grabbed Roger Rabbit. Great sale.

I stopped by Circuit City and they had 3 copies of From the Earth to The Moon. I passed, but I may go back tomorrow and pick it up, if they still have any. I was kind of disappointed that the Field of Dreams they had on sale wasn't the 2-disc version. That's Circuit City for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks