What's new

Weekly Roundup 8/6 - LORD OF THE RINGS Edition! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Something new LotR-wise to mention. I don't have a Virgin Megastore around here, but maybe some of you do. A buddy of mine in Chicago wrote to say that there is an ad in the paper:

The first 10 customers in line to buy LotR at Virgin Megastore will get it for just $9.99!!

The next 40 LotR customers after that will get T-Shirts.

He said he called the store to discuss, and found out that in other cities there are higher quanties, like 50 will get the discount and then 50 more will get the t-shirts.

Take that last bit with a grain of salt, but at least in Chicago you might get a deal if you hurry. I can't see this leading to anything except mayhem, though. For $6 more I'd go to Best Buy and avoid the hassle, myself.

Just letting y'all know, though!

Nathan A

Second Unit
good point, david. and if you're not one of the first few to qualify for $10? i know that i sure don't want to pay Virgin's ridiculous price for it (my guess is it'll be "on sale" for $22). the trip might equal a good bit of wasted time and unnecessary aggravation. I've never bought a DVD from there and probably never will.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Time to check out some online vendors for Nightmare on Elm Street's boxed set.

I'm surprised and dissapointed that V: The Final Battle isn't seeing much discount action. Another one I'll likely get online.

I'm tempted to get the Care Bears movie simply because it's being offerred in widescreen. That's a bad reason to buy something, but I would love it if it were to send a message to the studios.

While I'm shopping online, I bet I can snag a pretty good price for Simpsons Season 2.

Thanks for your hard work Dave, this is an expensive week!

MatS

Screenwriter
one of the best deals of the week not listed and my purchase today...
'Something Wild' $7.99 @ BB :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of great deals, I forgot to mention this yesterday. A thread over in Software reminded me:
I saw that Wal-Mart has marked down the Fight Club 2-disc set to just $14.44!!! :eek:
Since this set is soon-to-be discontinued in favor of an unspecial 1-disc version, I recommend all of you who have been holding off - like me - go grab this immediately.
In an HTF poll which was published in the premiere issue of DVD ETC. magazine, this forum named that title #5 on the top ten list of must-have DVDs...beaten only by Toy Story Ult. Box, Star Wars TPM, Matrix, & T2 Ult.
Two good reasons to add it to your collection: great movie (I guess; I'll let you know), great price! :)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm tempted to get the Care Bears movie simply because it's being offerred in widescreen.
Where'd you hear that? The specs I heard when it was announced listed a 1.33-only transfer, confirmed by DVDFile's recent review.
Did I really just ask a question about the Care Bears DVD? :b :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Assumption on my part. I'm under the impression that Dave wouldn't list it if it weren't OAR.

If it is 1.33, than I have no reason to pick it up.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Whoops...bad assumption on my part, too. Since MGM has been so good about OAR lately, I assumed Care Bears was OAR.
It is not. :frowning:
We'll just have to get along without that one, won't we?
Scott_J, thanks for helping me out here. I appreciate you saving me the $10!

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I got my Best Buy customer appreciation coupons in the mail today. Looks like I'll be waiting to pick up Wrath of Khan on Friday instead of Tuesday.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Dave,

A word of thanks for the link to the Borders coupon...just snagged a copy of M Hulot's Holiday (recently OOP Criterion). Last one they had, too...$22.50 with the coup.

Cheers

Randy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I got my Best Buy customer appreciation coupons in the mail today. Looks like I'll be waiting to pick up Wrath of Khan on Friday instead of Tuesday.
Is the discount better than 10%/$2 with those BB coupons? I'm running to Borders with the coupon instead, so I don't have to wait.
Besides, BB stopped sending me coupons. :frowning: I guess those 500 DVD's I've bought from them means I'm not "preferred" anymore! :confused:

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Well folks, I just heard a radio commercial which said that Tower (at least in the Bay Area) will be selling LOTR for only $12.99 on Tuesday only! :eek:
-Lyle J.P.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Only Trek II for me this week; will wait for LOTR 4-disc (what can I say--three hours for a movie just isn't long enough!:rolleyes:)
Have a Border's gift card from last Christmas I've been saving for a special moment. Wrath of Kahn DE is it!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks