What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-21-2012 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A word of caution for those interested in buying the imports Barton Fink, Boogeyman, Mallrats and Zoolander. You can get them much cheaper from Amazon's UK site. I was able to secure all four titles for 16.73 each from the UK site as a group order. It's still cheaper to use that site if you just want one or two of those titles. They are the same imported and region free releases that BB and Amazon's US site are selling this week.

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll pick up Halloween 4 and 5 at some point but I'll probably wait for a sale (which seems likely in October). If I wait, I can lie to myself and say that that will help save some money for the upcoming weeks. :)
Thanks for the prices, Mike!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I love the theory that...
The Aristrocrats was a hoax, not really a classic joke at all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I hope to have the review up for Pocahontas/Pocahontas II later this evening. The Tigger Movie is on the schedule to go up tomorrow. It would have made my life a lot easier if Disney had scattered all these cartoon features throughout the month of August instead of dumping them all on the same date. Would have given more attentionto the individual movies, too, AND been easier on the bank accounts of customers who could have spread out their purchases over the course of a month.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Crawford said:
A word of caution for those interested in buying the imports Barton Fink, Boogeyman, Mallrats and Zoolander.  You can get them much cheaper from Amazon's UK site.  I was able to secure all four titles for 16.73 each from the UK site as a group order.  It's still cheaper to use that site if you just want one or two of those titles.  They are the same imported and region free releases that BB and Amazon's US site are selling this week.
I ordered Mallrats and finally pulled the trigger on Cleopatra on Blu, from Amazon UK.
I have been waiting a few months on Cleo, i wanted something else on that order. Anyway, my total on the 2 together was about $31. Not bad at all.
Thanks for the Round-up Mike! The big work starts in the middle of Sept. when we start seeing all those sweet box sets!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The credits on the poster art for Santa Fe Trail lists Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. But who is that other smiling geek at the left? Was he famous or something? :confused:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls /t/323108/weekly-roundup-8-21-2012#post_3964269
The credits on the poster art for Santa Fe Trail lists Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. But who is that other smiling geek at the left? Was he famous or something?
Well that's George Custer.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for another WRU, Mike.

David Norman said:
I don't know if this will continue this week, but the TV gift cards have been liberally given out this week to just about anyone purchasing Blurays (maybe DVD as well). Any $50 purchase was
given a $10 card and $100 purchase a $25 card. The store pickup $10 GC for $50 Media purchase was still going on, but I found the instore GC easier to navigate since the card activated
immediately. I never could get them to use it on the same purchase, but I rolled the Free GC over to the next purchase and another GC popped up.
Nice to know although I hate to bring stuff to the register only to be denied. I might end up having just enough for the $25 GC anyway if BB's price on Boardwalk Empire S2 comes down to be comparable to Amazon's price during release week, assuming S1's price remains the same and the GC offer's still available at that point. Would probably get those w/ Dexter S1 (finally), if the old Dexter seasons also stay the same price. Otherwise, will try picking up something else to get to $100 instead -- actually, I may well pick up something else anyway... will have to see...

I also should have a $10 GC coming for an in-store pickup of online order from a couple days ago though not sure if they'll let me use it for the purchase to net another $25 GC -- my nearest store has been a bit of a pain w/ coupons lately, so they might give me a harder time about using a coupon for a purchase that gets me a GC.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
BTW, for those interested in BB's B2G1 sale on those Sony BDs, you might want to check out gohastings.com's used/previously-viewed selection for great prices on some of those titles (among others), if you don't mind going that route instead. Many of them including Ides of March and Moneyball are going for

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
ManW_TheUncool said:
Nice to know although I hate to bring stuff to the register only to be denied.  I might end up having just enough for the $25 GC anyway if BB's price on Boardwalk Empire S2 comes down to be comparable to Amazon's price during release week, assuming S1's price remains the same and the GC offer's still available at that point.
Just FYI, they seem to be giving the gift card for any $100 Blu/DVD purchase, not just tv titles. I can confirm with personal experience.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein /t/323108/weekly-roundup-8-21-2012/30#post_3964314
Just FYI, they seem to be giving the gift card for any $100 Blu/DVD purchase, not just tv titles. I can confirm with personal experience.

That would certainly make a big purchase of Disney titles this week even better than originally thought!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since its just an extension of the deal they had last week, I'm guessing it will still be in play.

At least I hope so...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've put a link to Matt's Pocahontas (1 & 2) review in the OP.

There is now also a link to Richard's review of Bernie in the OP.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/323108/weekly-roundup-8-21-2012/30#post_3964405
I've put a link to Matt's Pocahontas (1 & 2) review in the OP.

There is now also a link to Richard's review of Bernie in the OP.
Thanks, Mike. I do hope to have the review for The Tigger Movie up later today.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Moe Dickstein said:
Thanks for the additional confirmation.

Hmmm... Apparently, Amazon UK is selling a bundled(?) BD set of both seasons of Boardwalk Empire for ~£47.50, which comes out to roughly ~$69US shipped (or a bit less, if the shipping cost gets split across a bigger order), so that's probably a good alternative if the BB GC deal (w/ anticipated release week pricing) doesn't pan out. The BD discs should presumably be identical (and region-free as usually the case w/ Warner releases) although looks like the UK version will be missing the DVDs+DCs and the packaging will likely be different...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks