What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-21-2007 (1 Viewer)

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
Similar to the Ugly Betty exclusive, the Dexter Target exclusive bonus disc contains "Q&A with the Dexter Cast and Creative Team courtesy of The Museum of Television & Radio."

Both sets are stickered on the front indiciating the exclusive bonus discs with Ugly Betty's being shrinkwrapped on the back of the package and Dexter's being inside the slipcase between the Thinpaks for discs 1&2 and 3&4.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks again, Mary (for the list)!

Andrea: I don't know what it is about Serenity. After reading SOOOOOOO much on this forum about this flick, I picked up a copy for my son and I to watch and it is the only movie I can recall where we both got so restless and bored we turned it off and never got back to it. I feel...somehow...inadequate! ;) We actually found it hard to follow what was going on. I actually did walk out of the theater in 1976 during the intermission of King Kong never to return! :D

Mary_P

Second Unit
Well, you don't *need* to -- "Serenity" works pretty well, I think, as a standalone film. I may not be the best judge of that, since I did see the series first, but I was kinda on the lookout when I saw the movie the first time for anything that might throw a newbie, references to things that happened in the series that they wouldn't know anything about, and I think Whedon was really careful to avoid doing that.

It does clip along at a pretty brisk pace, and throws a lot of backstory, character introduction, etc. at you in the first 10 minutes. I'm sure that having some previous familiarity with the characters would help. And the unusual language throws a lot of people, particularly the occasional Chinese phrase or faux curse word. Watching some episodes (in the order that they're on the DVDs, not broadcast order) with the subtitles turned on can help there. I'd suggest watching at least the pilot before you give the movie another try.

At the end of the day, it's not everybody's cup of tea. It clicks with some people, and with some it doesn't. But as you've no doubt sussed by now, many of us who like it REALLY like it....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Weekly Round-Up. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well...count me as a newbie who wasn't "getting it"! :D And, oh yeah, youse guys are definitely nuts about this movie...which was what prompted me to make the blind buy. Maybe I'll give it another try some time...

In the meantime...I'll go back to..."Denny Crane"!

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Firefly grew on me, but I was primed for some sort of episodic Sci-Fi after the fall of Farscape and Enterprise. I watched a couple episodes on HDN and caught Serenity on sale at Target. It helped having seen a few shows but the movie does do a good job helping you figure things out.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

I actually walked back in the theater to watch the rest of it! On the first viewing, the projector light blew in the middle of Kong feeling up Jessica Lange! We were outraged and demanded our money back! After we got it refunded we returned the next night!

Only movie I walked out on was Caddyshack 2! Though The Black Hole was close!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And that was at the old Hellman's theater in Albany for me, Ric...before they split it into half...before they then later demolished it. :frowning: One of the highlights of my life was taking my mother to a screening of That's Entertainment at that theater! I was just 15 in '74 (for That's Entertainment). We had a great time. What a huge theater! Curtain in front of the screen! :emoji_thumbsup:

Big shopping news from me. Tonight I went to my local Best Buy after Mary's tip about the TV shows at $24.99. Picked up a Boston Legal: Season 2...but there was absolutely NO indication it was on any sale. It was, in fact, marked at $48.99! :eek: I took it to the register and had them scan it and it rang up at $24.99! :emoji_thumbsup: I never would have known. Thanks again, Mary!

I then went to BJs Wholesale Club where I found RoboCop for $14.99! :emoji_thumbsup: That was the extent of my purchases tonight. But I was also surprised to see Boston Legal: Season 1 at BJs for just $17.99. That's a darn good deal. They also had...and I'm going to have to run over and resurrect the Survivor thread over in the TV section...each season of Survivor (although only one copy of each) for just $14.99! :eek: Crazy!

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I definatelty NEEEEED South Park season 10 and will be picking up Lives of Others. Thanks for the list, this is gonna be a good and cheap week! ;0

ryan

Mary_P

Second Unit
You're welcome! Glad to be able to contribute something useful to this forum once in a while! If I hadn't seen the display that hadn't been set up yet (just the sign was up, but none of the items on the shelves were the items on the sign), I wouldn't have known anything about it. There were no shelf-talkers by the items that were on sale.

And my purchase ("Picket Fences") was tagged as $54.99 -- :eek:, indeed! Whenever I see something marked with a price like that and it rings through at $30 less, I feel like I've really gotten away with something.... :D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Having moved to Albany in 1987, I was too late for the glory days of Hellman's Theater. I do seem to remember the building though (not sure it was still in operation). Was it on Washington Ave?

Anyway, we had a few jewels or our own in Syracuse, before everything got chopped up into multiplexes with mini screens!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Sure was! Right across Washington Avenue from the main SUNY/Albany campus. I think there's a hotel there now.

Did you know I went to SU (Class of '81)?! I went to some shows in Loew's (no movies, though. I saw all them on campus! :emoji_thumbsup: ) the War Memorial, etc. I actually saw Liza Minnelli at the War Memorial! :laugh:

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
Hey, Mike, if you PM me your address, I'll order you a Firefly set from Amazon. I received it as a gift and after watching it, kicked myself for not catching it on TV. It's worth watching!!! And I appreciate you doing the roundups!!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Well, this certainly is a small world. I was also living in Syracuse at the time, Mike. I wasn't attending school though. Rather, I moved there in 1978 to be part of the startup of local radio station - 95X (WAQX.) I also saw many shows at the War Memorial and Leow's (aka the Landmark Theatre.) Leow's was a magnificent old movie house in its day. I vividly recall seeing Yellow Submarine on the big screen there.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Before we drift too far off topic, I was the production director and did nights from 10 pm - 2 am, sandwiched in between Ed Levine and Dia. :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
doesnt bother me.

a little of ot stuff in a thread that is a mostly, " i found xxx for 12.99 at xxx"

is welcome occasionally.
i wish we had the eating popcorn guy that moves.

who has the power to add that to the smiley list

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks