What's new

Weekly RoundUp 8-15-2006 (1 Viewer)

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
The AN:TCD is an absolute steal for the price this week. I've been working on the review, which I hope to have up by Thursday and its a great package.

Just Simpsons otherwise for me this week.

Thanks Mike and Pat!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Original release. I was in college...and had just read Heart of Darkness by Conrad. Haven't seen it since. Not sure whether to watch the original or the redux. An important choice since my time is so limited I probably won't get to the other one for a long time.

I'll be at CC tomorrow night. Hope the stores aren't going to treat this like some obscure catalog release.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Definate:

3rd Rock from the Sun: Season 5, Simpsons: Season 8, Surface: Complete Series, Weird Al Show: Complete Series

Eventually:

Full House: Season 4, Masters of Horror: Jenifer (Argento), RV, Scary Movie 4 (NR & Uncensored),

ry

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator

I agree that it's a great price, and quite tempting. But I am still sort of holding out hope that they will eventually release a package that will include "Hearts of Darkness," the brilliant documentary about the making of the film.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
RV and Scary Movie 4 go to Netflix

I picked up the 1st 3 Seasons of Hogan's Heroes but I have'nt gotten to them yet, so I'll think I'll wait on S4 and see if I can get a deal when S5 comes out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There's always a chance that Hearts of Darkness will be released on its own at some point. It is a feature-length film that had its own theatrical run, after all.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Stopped at Target after work and caught a few prices:
James Stewart Collection: $39.99
Surface: $39.99
The weekly CinemaRed email listed MOH: Jenifer and AN:TCD, but I don't recall seeing them there.
Didn't check the pricing on the new Simpsons sets, but might see them later.
The Rome set was in the upper-$60 range ($68.99 or $69.99 IIRC) and all the copies on the shelf had the HBO bonus disc.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
My Target had Simpsons and Hogan's Heroes at $29.99 each. I bought Simpsons and Hogan's at Best Buy with my $5 reward. Then I went back to Circuit City for the Apocalypse Now deal.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
DanielCo: thanks for beating me on the price of the Simpsons sets!

MoH: Jenifer is $9.99 (guess I didn't notice it because they changed the style of the graphics since the initial releases)
AN:TCD: $14.99

Also saw Knute Rockne for $14.99 there...

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Anybody have trouble finding Simpsons 8? Here in Union, NJ, I hit the local Target, BB, & CC. Only CC had it and ONLY in the Maggie head packaging. I was told to try tomorrow, which I will.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

My experience couldn't have been any closer to Dustin's as I dropped by CC tonight...except my CC had an entire free-standing display of Rome.

My CC had two separate displays of Apocalypse Now...one in the new release section and the other in "Action" under "A". Five copies in each section with the stickered copies (designating the bonus disc) located behind the unstickered copies. My copy rang up at $14.99...but the cashier already knew to over-ride the price to $12.99. They only had a couple of their flyers located at the front of the store (I noticed as I walked in--thinking of Dustin's advice to bring my own copy).

Don't forget, too, gang--I almost did--that CC has that bonus FREE disc of the behinds-the-scenes stuff on Snakes on a Plane. :emoji_thumbsup:

I already watched the disc. It's got the trailer, an 11-minute making-of feature where the cast crew kept commenting that people have common fears of flying and of snakes. D'uh. There was also a section of abbreviated previews of various recent New Line DVD releases.

EDIT** As an aside, I've never seen MORE DVDs in my local CC. Their racks were overflowing...top to bottom.

TimJS

Second Unit
Costco update:

Costco had James Stewart Signature for $31.86. Saw a BUNCH of warner boxes, including Bette Davis Vol2 (also for 31.86), Reagan, Bogart, Hitch, and many, many others. Simpsons had stickers for 10 bucks off if buying other seasons...I think most of them were in the $24.99 range. Also had ROME in stock. All I can remember,

Tim

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely. In fact, I saw it theatrically, myself. But a box set with both versions of AN and HOD just seems like a no-brainer. And the film turns 30 in three years, by which time there will almost certainly be a deluxe "anniversary edition" in whichever HD format wins the format war.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
I had no luck securing any copies of "Apocalypse Now" with the bonus disc, as all were sold out before noon (if only I didn't have to attend training this week....:frowning: )

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Among the others at my Costco were the Warner Film Noir Vol. 3 box set for $31.89, and the Warner/MK2 Chaplin Collection Volume 2 for $64.99 (same as the Hitchcock set). Alas, there was no "Tough Guys Collection".

They had both the Bogart and the Bogart/Bacall sets, the Henry Fonda set, the John Wayne Signature Collection (the older set with Rio Bravo, The Searchers, The Cowboys, and Stagecoach), and some more as well.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread