Weekly Roundup 7/30

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Jul 28, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[rant]Shoot the hostage[/rant]
    [c][​IMG][/c]
    Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
    I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
    Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
    __________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub
    Andromeda Season 1 Vol 1_$29.99__$22.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Butt-Ugly Martians-BotBG_$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Butt-Ugly Martians-B2M___$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Butt-Ugly Martians-HH____$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Casper & Wendy's Adv.'s__$11.68__$ 9.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Change of Habit (Elvis)__$18.74__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Collateral Damage - SE___$20.24__$14.99__$15.99__$17.99__$17.98
    Dinotopia________________$14.99__$12.99__$11.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    K-9: P.I.________________$20.24__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Resident Evil - SE_______$20.97__$14.99__$16.99__$18.99__$_N/A_
    Speed - 5-Star Edition___$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Speed/Speed 2 Collection_$29.99__$34.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$28.98
    Thunderbirds Mega-Set____$134.96_$159.99_$179.95_$89.99_$108.98
    UFO Set 1________________$59.96__$89.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    [/c]
    * First, a little shameless self-promotion: look for my reviews of the three Butt-Ugly Martians discs to be posted, probably on Monday, at TVShowsOnDVD. Also, Gord is writing up his review of Andromeda 1.1; it should be posted soon as well. I doubt too many sites review these smaller titles, so check out what we have to say. Thank you very much.
    * All copies of Dinotopia contain a coupon good for $5 off the Gameboy Advance title that ties into the show. Good for all of you with itchy thumbs! [​IMG]
    * Best Buy's ad states that you can save $5 instantly if you buy the Speed 5-Star collection at the same time you buy either the Die Hard 5-Star collection or The French Connection 5-Star collection discs.
    * Possible error on the BB ad insert that you might try to take advantage of: Original Sin, released 4 months ago this week and not due for a markdown quite yet, is advertised in the BB ad along with the $8.99 titles! This is surely an error, right? Well, if you go to BB.com right now and put it in your basket, it will show up there as $8.99 as week!!! [​IMG] If it IS a mistake, it comes right from the top. If you want this film, go get it before they discover their foolish ways and post a retraction in the stores. :wink:
    * Speaking of possible errors, here's something interesting: Best Buy weekly ad insert actually says, both on Pg. 2 and on the back page, that Resident Evil on DVD is $14.99, instead of saying "Hot Price" or something similar. That's interesting because the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) on this one is $19.95! So either someone screwed up, costing them lots of co-op dollar, or someone decided that BB is big enough to ignore MAPs, or Columbia agreed that MAPs don't apply here. [​IMG]
    * On the other hand, perhaps this makes up for BB carrying the UFO Set 1 for $10 *more* than the Suggested List Price (SRP)!! [​IMG] Yep, that price they are charging is more than the maker says it ought to sell for. Gotta make up for those loss-leaders somehow, right? Check Costco: I bet that this is in their stores for around $40-$50, despite not being listed at their website. Just guessing, but worth a look anyway (see Costco's price on the T-Birds megaset?).
    * K-Mart has Collateral Damage and Resident Evil on sale for $19.95 each, and Dinotopia is $14.95.
    * Target is having a glitch again with their on-line weekly ads...same thing as two weeks ago. Can anyone with a print copy of the ad help us out here?
    * CompUSA has Collateral Damage for $16.99, but I'm sure quantities are low as always. Better bets are at Best Buy or Circuit City.
    The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
    -------------------------
    • Die Hard (5-Star Collection) $29.98 $26.98
    • Die Hard 2: Die Harder $29.98 $26.98
    • Die Hard 3: With a Vengeance $29.98 $26.98
    • Die Hard Trilogy (Box Set) $79.98 $69.98
    See you next week. It will be a tough week, kicking off a tough month. Next week's Roundup sees The Simpsons, The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, Clash of the Titans, Time After Time, V: The Final Battle, Them!, The Swarm, Wolfen, Exorcist 2, two Doctor Who's, two Hot Shots!, Underdog: Nemesis, JayJay the Jet Plane, The Care Bears Movie, and a little something from some guys named Tolkien and Jackson. It's gonna be insane...so save your pennies! [​IMG]

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Save your pennies is right! This begins the wallet busting season! I like your punctuation by the way! [​IMG]
    Now I just have to decide if Speed 2 is worth $10 [​IMG]

3. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Nice, the old Die Hard trilogy box is going down in price by ten dollars. Well I wonder if it affects the already good price at Wal-Mart of $50 dollars? I will get Speed and maybe Resident Evil next week when I have more money.

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Best Buy has White Men Can't Jump for $8.99

5. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

What? No Dragonfly in David's roundup?

For those interested, CompUSA has it for $16.99 and Best Buy for $19.99.

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

7. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Don't forget that Wrath of Khan is next week as well. Next week is gonna hurt, but nothing for me this week.

9. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

10. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

11. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

No brick & mortar purchases for me this week. I pre-ordered Speed for $17.54 at DVD Empire, but I added it to my 8/6 releases so I'd get the free shipping deal (free shipping on 4 or more discs.)

It's kind of nice going a week without a new DVD; allows me more time to catch up on the backlog!

I also just joined Netflix so I can hopefully save money on buying some of the marginal titles on a weekly basis. Something about a nice $15 sale price at Best Buy makes me give in an buy movies that might be good for one viewing at best.

I'm hoping to just purchase the must-haves and rent everything else. If I can purchase just one less DVD per month, the Netflix membership will pay for itself.

12. David Lambert

13. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

David Lambert, you're my hero. [​IMG]

14. EricCr

EricCr Stunt Coordinator

David, why oh why did you have to include Andromeda on the roundup? I had never seen the show but after seeing it listed I decided to catch an episode on TV tonight and really enjoyed it. I am now going to have to have someone hide my wallet to prevent me from spending money I shouldn't spend! Thanks for another great list.

15. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

As always, great job Mr. L! Other than Speed, I'm gettin' nothing this week!
    Me. Want. Simpsons. #2. [​IMG]

16. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

Next week is gonna kill me:
    Clash Of The Titans
    Hot Shots!
    Hot Shots! Part Deux
    The Jeffersons: Season 1
    LOTR
    Sanford & Son: Season 1
    The Simpsons: Season 2
    Super Troopers
    The Swarm
    V: The Final Battle
    Wolfen
    Ouch! [​IMG]

17. David Lambert

18. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Kind of cruel for Warners to release V: The Final Battle and Lord of the Rings on the same day. I may have to take next week off.

Could anyone tell me if Dinotopia is worthwhile? How's the story & the specs? $11.99 for a 2 disc set may be too much for me to take.

19. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

Will Criterion's Tokyo Olympiad come out
    and where is the best deal?

20. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody know if Costco will carry the Speed 5 Star Edition? I checked their website and it doesn't list the movie. I sure hope they do.