Weekly RoundUp 7/27/04

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It doesn't suck.
    –Elizabeth Berkeley as Nomi Malone (Showgirls - 1995)

[​IMG]

[c]The Weekly RoundUp[/c]
    [C]
    _______________TITLE__________________ _ _Amazon _ BestBuy _ CrcCity _ Target_ _ Costco_
    Andromeda: Season 2_________________ _ $48.99 __ $44.99 __ $69.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    The Celebration_____________________ _ $16.98 __ $14.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    The Devil’s Backbone SE_____________ _ $13.96 __ $16.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Dragon Tales: Believe In Yourself___ _ $10.46 __ $12.99 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Garfield & Friends: Volume 1________ _ $32.78 __ $29.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex___________________________________________ ______
    Vol. 1______________________________ _ $21.23 __ $17.99 __ $19.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex___________________________________________ ______
    Deluxe Edition______________________ _ $40.98 __ $36.99 __ $39.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Hellboy SE__________________________ _ $20.27 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __
    High Art____________________________ _ $16.98 __ $14.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Jeff Foxworthy Show: Season 1_______ _ $20.97 __ $24.99 __ $24.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __
    The Kids Who Saved Summer___________ _ $17.36 __ $19.99 __ $17.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Ned Kelly___________________________ _ $20.99 __ $19.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Nero Wolfe: Season 1________________ _ $52.16 __ $46.99 __ $49.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    New Avengers ’77: Season 2__________ _ $65.56 __ $89.99 __ $99.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Pennies from Heaven (1981)__________ _ $13.98 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Pennies from Heaven (1978 BBC TV)___ _ $41.99 __ $43.99 __ $49.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    The Persuaders!: Set 2______________ _ $52.16 __ $59.99 __ $49.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Rocket Power: Island of Menehune____ _ $14.44 __ $14.99 __ $12.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Showgirls: VIP Edition______________ _ $27.99 __ $29.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Sledge Hammer!: Season 1____________ _ $32.78 __ $25.99 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    They Came to Cordura________________ _ $13.96 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Touch of Frost: Season 3____________ _ $42.48 __ $44.99 __ $39.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    V: Complete Series__________________ _ $27.99 __ $32.99 __ $34.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    **The Whole Ten Yards_______________ _ $19.56 __ $17.99 __ $15.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __
    Zombi 2_____________________________ _ $13.97 __ $14.99 __ $15.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    Zombi 2 (25th Anniversary SE)_______ _ $20.97 __ $24.99 __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __ $_N/A_ __
    [/C]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including (or the ones Dave tells me he's looking for ;o)). In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. So, please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like Dave & I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the standard Roundup: they set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. When it comes to Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Mileage May Vary".

**BE CAREFUL! The Whole Ten Yards is available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one!!!

--Amazon is still featuring free shipping on orders over $25. Restrictions apply.

--Best Buy is offering a deal if you purchase BOTH The Whole Ten Yards ($17.99) and The Whole Nine Yards ($9.99). Get both DVDs 2/$20! That’s an $8 savings! (or, you could say you’re getting The Whole Nine Yards for $2!)

--And, for those who have been demanding it…Best Buy is including a Hellboy collectible card on its packaging of the Hellyboy DVD!!!

--I did not get a Circuit City flyer before my deadline for getting this week’s RoundUp ready. Hopefully, someone will post any special deals Circuit City might be running this week. Thanks!

-------------------------

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: July 27, 2004 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report this week.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$19.99:
    Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
    Starsky & Hutch
    Agent Cody Banks 2
    Dirty Dancing Havana Nights
    The Bourne Identity Explosive Extended Edition
    LotR Return of the King

$17.99:
    Greendale

$9.99:
    X2
    Spider-Man
    Daredevil
    Batman
    Original Sin
    Y Tu Mama Tambien
    T2
    American Me
    Wild Orchid
    Once Upon a Time in Mexico
    King of New York
    Time Machine
    Army of Darkness
    Twister
    SWAT

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

2 for $20:
    Dirty Dancing
    Shrek
    Hollywood Homicide
    Dogma
    Bend It Like Beckham
    SWAT
    Steel Magnolias
    T2

-----------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

$19.99:
    Chapelle's Show S1
    Hard Knocks: The Chris Benoit Story
    Agent Cody Banks 2
    Starsky & Hutch
    Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
    Big Fish
    Mystic River

$17.99:
    Monster

$15.99
    Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum: 01

$14.99:
    The Wiggles WhooHoo! Wiggly Gremlins!

2 for $20:
    Spider-Man
    X2
    Superman
    Superman 2
    Superman 3
    Batman
    Batman Returns
    Batman & Robin
    Hulk
    Daredevil
    Blade II
    The Crow
    DragonHeart
    Blade Runner
    Independance Day
    Reign of Fire
    Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
    Final Destination
    The Final Countdown
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    A Clockwork Orange
    Jason and the Argonauts
    Armageddon
    Equilibrium
    Conan: The Complete Quest

3. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Thanks Mike. Only Hellboy for me.

4. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Thanks Mike!!!

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Thanks Mike.

I thank you and my wallet thanks you (nada this week).

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've fixed the Zombi pricing.

It looks like I'll finally be buying Equilibrium and Blade II at Best Buy. Equilibrium never appeared to go on sale for this past year, it always hovered around $17 in pricing.

7. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Just a reminder... The Director's Cut of HellBoy (3-disc edition) will be out in November.

8. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Big week! I'd like:
    Andromeda S2
    Hellboy
    V the series
    Devil's Backbone SE
    Ghost in the Shell SAC
    Showbirls
    Zombi 2 SE

Thanks! I think....[​IMG]

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Didn't know the Devil's Backbone was getting a special edition. I'll have to get that one. Will probably wait for the Director's version of Hellboy or pick one up pre-viewed in a few weeks.

10. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

Patrick, the ad for Best Buy showed the one disc version of Blade 2. Anyway, I might go after the 2 for 20 deal at Best Buy, even so I would like to get the first V mini series, but only place that has it is Fye and Boarders. Thanks for the update, Mike.

11. WillG

WillG Producer

Some pretty good 2 for $20 choices at Best Buy. Gave me a chance to pick up "2001" and "Clockwork Orange" on the cheap.

12. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

$15.99
    Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum: 01
    ----

I assume ths is the stand alone disc without the series box?

13. Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann Supporting Actor

Thanks Mike. Nuttin' for me this week (waiting for the November Hellboy 3 disc).

14. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

ahhh, another slow week. I can save up for August!

15. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Just Ghost in the Shell SAC for me. I'm surprised no one decided to do a bundled deal with that and the original film.

Chris S.

16. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

Showgirls is all for me this week.

Thanks again for the roundup.

17. Dillon*G

Dillon*G Second Unit

Garfield and Friends Vol.1,Hellboy,and The Jeff Foxworthy Show S1.Thanks a bunch Mike.

18. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

For anime fans, Big O II Vol.4 streets this week too.

19. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

Thanks, Mike. Sledge Hammer! for me -- trust me, I know what I'm doing[​IMG]

Jay

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Thanks, Mike.