What's new

Weekly Roundup 7/2 (Best TNG season ever...and a crazy redhead!) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Guys, I found out this evening that 1776 is $19.99 at Borders.
Dave! Excellent news! And, excellent job, as always!
I'll be calling my local borders in the morning. Tonight, the only place I found a copy was at FYE for $29.99! :eek:
I knew it was a wise--but difficult--move to put it back in the rack.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Well if you buy it at Borders you may as well use
Link Removed
(20% off, except max 15% on DVDs)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I was going to price match the Meijer ad to get the "I Love Lucy" discs at Best Buy. Unfortunately, Best Buy didn't have the "Lucy" discs (big surprise :rolleyes:), so I actually had to go to Meijer.
The Meijer trip was a ridiculous ordeal: First, it took me forever to find the DVDs, because they moved them to the opposite end of the (enormous) store. When I did find them, they were locked in a glass case. I searched in vain for an employee who could get them out for me, until I noticed a phone near the DVDs. I read the sign, "Call for assistance" or something like that. I pick it up and it rings.
A guy answers: "Hello?"
Me: "Yeah, I'm trying to buy a couple of DVDs, but they're locked in a glass case."
Guy: "Uhhhh, sure, no problem." Long pause. "Which ones do you want?"
Me: "The 'I Love Lucy' DVDs that came out today."
Guy: "2 of 'em?"
Me: "Yeah, there's 2 of 'em."
Guy: "Volume 1 and Volume 2?"
Me: "Yeah."
Guy: "Okay." Another long pause. "When you're ready to checkout, just tell the cashier that you have some DVDs at the service desk."
Me: "Uhhh, okay..."
I head for the checkout lines. None of the express lines are open. I don't see any employees near the self-checkout stands. So, I have to spend half an hour in line with people buying months' worth of groceries. I finally get to the front, and the cashier starts scanning the stuff belonging to the guy behind me. (Understandable, since I didn't have anything on the conveyor belt.) I stop him and explain that I'm just buying DVDs. He goes to the service desk and returns with my "I Love Lucy"s and 2 copies of Jimmy Neutron. I send him back with the extra discs and finally get out of the store almost an hour after I entered.
This was especially frustrating since I knew I had to go back to Best Buy when I left Meijer...
You see, I bought Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius at Best Buy, because I knew they were including a bonus Nickelodeon cartoon sampler DVD. (My almost-4-year-old boy was looking forward to that more than the movie.) When I found the Jimmy Neutron DVDs, I expected to see another disc attached to the package, but there wasn't one. So I checked all of the 20-25 copies. Nope, nothing. I knew they should be there, because there was a sign right there, advertising the extra disc. So, I shook one. I hear a rattling sound, so I figure the extra disc must be inside. I bought it. On my way to Meijer, I opened Jimmy Neutron. (I had time, since I knew I was stuck at the world's longest red light.) Surprise, surprise, there is no extra disc. The rattling sound was just a coupon book.
So, an hour later I head back to Best Buy. They're pretty nice about letting me exchange it for one with a bonus disc. Now I just have to find one. Again, I go through every copy, trying to find one that's maybe a little heavier. No luck. Eventually I get an employee to help me. (About as easy as catching a leprechaun, by the way.) He tells me the disc must be inside. I explain why I don't think so, and he seems confused. I ask "are there any more in the back?" He's pretty sure they put them all out. "Hey," he suggests, "did you check the big display up front?" Sure enough, there is a giant display of about a million copies, complete with bonus discs. (FYI, the bonus disc makes a noticeable lump on the back.)
Anyway, I've shared this story to offer two pieces of advice:
1. Don't buy DVDs at Meijer.
2. Make sure you have your Jimmy Neutron bonus disc before you buy it.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I completely agree with how you feel. It took me way too long in Meijers just to get a price on the new Pearl Harbor. They had to hunt around for the keys to the dvd shelves. I almost bought White Sands for 4.83 but I didn't want to wait in line for it so I left.

Then I went to Best Buy later in the day to get Pearl Harbor. I tried to price match against the Costco price, no dice since there isn't one near by. Then I tried to price match to Wallmart since it was next door. He went through everything then told me I couldn't get the $5 off card if I price matched it. Huh?? So I ended up paying the full $30 for it and taking the $5 card. I was going to end up spending more in gas tracking down a cheep copy. I may go back and see if someone else will price match it for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well if you buy it at Borders you may as well use this 15% off coupon.
Thanks a ton, Glenn! :D
Unfortunately, my local Borders had zero copies on hand. hadn't gotten any in yet. But, I have one on order. But, I don't know when it will be in. Hopefully before 7/15!
My local Barnes & Noble had gotten one copy in. They said it was gone that morning. (At $29.99!)
Best Buy hadn't gotten any copies yet. They have THREE copies coming in...sometime. (At $22.99!)
How unusual for Borders to be out in front on a sale like this?!?!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just happened to check tonight on that copy of 1776 that I put back on the rack at FYE last night.
It's gone!
Everything will work out fine. Everything will work out fine. Everything will work out fine. :frowning:
BTW, my local BJ's Wholesale club has both volumes of I Love Lucy for $9.99 each.

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
9.99?!
I was gonna try and use the 15% coupon at Borders, but I think this just won.
Tomorrow, Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz and her antics will be MINE! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Re: 1776
After checking again with my local Borders, I come to find out they actually ordered ZERO copies originally! The only copy they have on order is MY requested copy. Sooooooooo, I get to wait a couple of weeks until it comes in. :frowning: Now it looks like I might not be able to use that 15% off coupon on the DVD after all! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks