What's new

Weekly RoundUp 6/8/04 (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

I understand, Mike. Costco has been a mystery here lately since all we can assume is that they carry their costco.com prices and availability to their stores. I gave up on the Marx Bros. set with DDD, when they went on instant backorder (indefinitely) and saw that Costco had it listed in the weekly lineup at a competitive price. They apparently only got 2 or 3 sets in and I missed out, though they reappeared a couple of weeks ago and I got my paws on it then. It was a bit of a disappointment when they had several boxes of MR this morning in the 1-D configuration but non of the 3-D (competitively priced on their web site). What this usually means is that it will show up at the stores from 1 week to several weeks later. I'm going to see if BB has it at the $20.99 mentioned above.

Joel

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Count me as another happy hunter who took a 3-disc Mystic River off a Best Buy shelf marked $29.99 & had it ring up for $20.99. That's the Woodbridge, NJ, store for those in the area.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
A little FYE/Strawberries rebate info:

Along Came Polly $7 rebates Widescreen, Fullframe, even VHS.
A-Team Season 1 $10 rebates which makes it $33
Mystic River $7 rebates on Fullframe, widescreen and 3-disc set (Although the locations around here didn't get the 3-disc set in yet)

Oh well.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I also scored the 3-disc Mystic River at Best Buy for $15.95 with a price match for the Ultimate Electronics ad (even though there is no Ultimate Electronics in San Antonio; the closest being in Austin). I also was surprised when it rang up at $20.99 before the price match. Not bad at all.

Before heading over to Best Buy, I tried my luck at Circuit City with the Ultimate Electronics ad. No dice. They wouldn't price match because it wasn't a "local" store. However, Best Buy gave me no grief at all about the price match. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I succeeded in finding Mystic River 3D at BB for the aforementioned $20.99 unadvertised surprise. I wonder if this is a national special. BTW, I found mine at the Montgomeryville, PA location. This makes the Special Edition extra cost anywhere from $3 to $5 difference for the two extra disks, even if the CD by itself doesn't justify the extra cost.

Joel

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
Got the $20.99 for Mystic River at Best Buy here too. Thanks a bunch for the great word of mouth guys!

David Glenn

Second Unit
Ditto on $20.99 at BB, plus as usual, I used my BB rewards card.

Has it been detemined whether this is a price error or an unadvertised sale?

Retail on the single disc happens to be $20.99.

If in fact it is an error, let's hope they don't fire that data entry clerk. :D

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
Our local Costco had the Tarzan collection for only $36.99. Cheaper than DDD. Needless to say, I snatched it up quick.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Bought Mystic River 3-disc for $15.95 at Best Buy. Price matched it to Ultimate Electronics without any problem.

I had to ask for the deluxe edition since none were shelved - the clerk at the front of the store brought it out from under the desk.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Funny, that slogan is up all over the store at my local Super-Center. It's even on signs attached to the "return carts here" rails in the parking lot. I should know...my 6-year-old loves to read from them anytime we park near them, whether it's for DVDs or for grocery shopping. And they have a big word "ALWAYS" above both entrances.

About my DVD hunting today: hit Wal-Mart and Costco. WM hadn't gotten the Columbia TV-DVD titles (WTB, JSM, ToD); Costco had JSM and neither of the others. Didn't see SCTV at either place either, nor Dead Zone or Taboo (I knew that one was a long shot). Anyone think I'll find that stuff at Best Buy tomorrow?

Ed Faver

Second Unit
At my Best Buy, the Mystic 3-disc was on the racks, but not featured with the rest of the new releases. They only had the single disc displayed. I just checked the website--they still list it at $29.99.

Speaking of the single--wasn't that supposed to be a double disc set? I thought the initial press release said that the only difference between the 2 would be the inclusion of the soundtrack in the3 disc. Anybody remember that?

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Dave-

My NJ Best Buy had loads of SCTV & Dead Zone on the new release rack. I drooled over the SCTV, but had already ordered it from Amazon/Borders, using a $100 gift card I got as a Masters degree graduation gift. Used some additional gift money to get Band of Brothers at Target for a great $70. Finally, an oasis of sense from HBO's insane pricing structure!!

Now, to wait out the week for SCTV to arrive...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Slight difference, though. I believe their current slogan is "Always the *low* price." Not "lowest."

Lowest is an absolute. Low is a bit more vague while still sounding good for marketing purposes.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Heads-up for Field Of Dreams fans (this has been reported in other FoD threads but I don't think I've seen it here): Wal-Mart has bundled one of those exclusive bonus disks with the new FoD CE. You know that excellent 90-minute FoD Scrapbook docu that was on the old FoD disk but was omitted from the new CE?? Well, apparently because of the direct intervention of director Phil Alden Robinson, that docu is on the Wal-Mart bonus disk (among other new featurettes)!! So if you want the ultimate FoD package you might want to snag it at Wally World.

My Best Buy also had FoD priced at 17.99, despite the $15.99 price in their ads. Since I had decided to buy it at Wal-Mart I didn't have a chance to see if I could get it for the advertised price. Don't they HAVE to sell it for the lower price if that's what was advertised??

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Re: the Dances With Wolves SE for $7.50 at Target. I haven't checked out my local Target yet. However, I can report that the DWW SE is on sale currently at my local Borders for $9.99. Amazing. I believe Borders has the regular price at $23.99 or $25.99 with the sales price sticker of $9.99 in the corner.

Now, onto some current BJ's Wholesale Club prices:

Mystic River 3-disc $27.99
Mystic River 1-disc $15.99
Field of Dreams AE $17.99
Along Came Polly $18.99
Spider-Man Deluxe $16.99
Saving Pvt. Ryan AE $17.99
Sav. Pvt. Ryan War Collection $34.99
Marx Bros. Collection $39.79
Wyatt Earp SE $18.99
Love Bug Collection $44.99
ROTK $18.99
Around the World in 80 Days $18.99
The Cooler $17.99

Hope these are of use to some people.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

This was changed for all stores by headquarters. When I read about it here on Monday morning I had my store manager look into it on Monday afternoon, but by then it was already fixed.

Some new titles at Target that are not listed in this week's circular:

Greystoke $14.99
Merlin SE $14.99
Love Letters $19.99
Perfect Husband $19.99
Who's The Boss Season One $34.99

Also, Tron is $13.49 through 6/21 (I think that's the ending date...)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone seen any B&M stores that have ABBA In Concert available? It came out today, but apparently is pretty tough to find.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Are your local WalMarts stocking both the widescreen and fullscreen Field of Dreams with the bonus disk? When I went to my local WalMart, they only had the fullscreen version.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks