The Machinist
Hellraiser Deader
Dead Ringers (double dip)
Star Trek: Insurrection

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I see a lot of interest in the new Stripes -- I requested a screener 3 times from 2 sources (among the others of this week's Sony releases) and have yet to receive one. :angry: I will, however, have a review up for the new Tears of the Sun extended cut within the next day or two.

If Stripes shows up, I'll get a review up ASAP.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron: I just gotta believe that more Stripes is gonna be better Stripes. But, unfortunately, that's not always the case, is it?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
True dat. Others have commented on the new cut in the Software thread. Sounds mixed, but apparently the disc has the option of watching either cut, which is great!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

By definition, the Round-Up consists of all titles of interest to you. So, how much must you be spending? :eek:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good news -- my contact at Sony just informed me that she's going to overnight me a Stripes screener. Look for my comments later this week.

I heard that there were also some minor trims. (I saw the original a while back and don't remember the exact changes.) But what's wrong with that?

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe this is a stupid question.. but I was wondering if you can pricematch at BB and also get the Reward Zone discount? I was thinking of trying it with "Lois and Clark" by pricematching with the Circuit City ad($39.99).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Actually, just $12 or so for Stripes. I may be "interested" in a lot of titles, but my wallet will only listen to my interest so far.

I've always wanted to see Sling Blade...so maybe I'll add that to my personal wishlist someday.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
for anyone thats a Phillies fan there is a dvd colection this week on the one measly world series win.:frowning:

Phillies 1980 World Champions 25th anniversary edition.

amazon 17.49
bestbuy 21.99
circuit city ??
target 17.49 ??

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I don't get that DVD Talk review. I haven't picked it up yet, but unless they are just totally lying on the back of the package, there is no way all they did was insert all the deleted scenes on the previous DVD back into the movie. It sounds like the reviewer was just guessing that that's what happened. Or maybe the package is wrong.

The package art posted at DVD Empire lists a run-time of 11 minutes longer than the theatrical cut, yet the back of the package boasts "24 minutes of Never-Before-Seen-Footage".

DVD Empire Back Cover Art

If the back of the package is correct, there would have to be 13 minutes of the old theatrical version cut out to add the 24 minutes of "Never-Before-Seen-Footage" in. Also, how do they call it "Never-Before-Seen-Footage" if the footage was previously in the deleted scenes section on the old DVD? Don't get me wrong - with 24 minutes of different material, I'd be surprised if they didn't use some of that deleted scene stuff. But, it would pretty much be false advertising...

I just checked the run-time of the deleted scenes on the original release - they add up to about 18.6 minutes. It does sound believable that they could add that in and trim around 7 minutes out. Where they got 24 minutes, though... maybe that DVD Empire cover is old?

I'd like to believe the DVD Talk review because I've got enough to buy tomorrow as it is. But, something is wrong here... Since I'm confused, I'm just gonna pass. :)

Ernesto.Morin

Stunt Coordinator
BrandonJF,

You are correct. I just received my preorder copy and on the back it says exctally what dvd empire has. This version is different than the old one and they did more than just add the deleted scences back. This release is confusing.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

The back of the package is incorrect -- the new Tears of the Sun runs 142 minutes, not 132.

The editorial on Amazon states that the deleted scenes are added back in and some trims were made. So if the deleted scenes only ran 18 minutes, then there must be some new footage (from what I've heard, I doubt that it's 24 minutes worth not counting the deleted scenes, but I could be wrong).

Of course, this may be the first time the deleted scenes have been seen in anamorphic OAR with 5.1 sound! ;)

Ernesto.Morin

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding Tears of the Sun. Here is what Amazon says:

Aaron so the back of the package that it being sold is wrong? When was the last time this happened?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks