Weekly RoundUp 6-28-2011 (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I was also surprised to see these again spread across two discs given the HUGE STORAGE CAPACITY claim I've always heard about Blu-Ray. I would think the films would easily fit on a single BR.

Like I said above, yes, dual-layer BD offers ~5.5x the storage of dual-layer DVD, *BUT* you're also pushing ~6x the pixels w/ 1080p HD video vs 480p SD video, so the only thing that would actually reduce disc usage is the improved codecs, which may or may not be enough to squeeze everything into one disc w/out quality compromise depending on the exact details of the video.

_Man_

billnye97

Auditioning
Real Name
Dion Adanich
Longtime Lurker, old Dvdfile member here. I finally signed up. Thanks Mike for all the work you do here. I have really appreciated it over the years (here and over at DVDfile).

I do have a question. Does anyone know if Target price matches Best Buy? I have a Target close by my work and it would be nice to have them price match.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Borders had a deal a few weeks ago where the LOTR set was around $62, IIRC. I'm waiting for Black Friday on that one. Dunno if I'll even watch those again until my son is old enough to handle them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
billnye97 said:
I do have a question. Does anyone know if Target price matches Best Buy? I have a Target close by my work and it would be nice to have them price match.
I assume that they still do price matching. I got Target to price match Best Buy's ad for me early this year.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by billnye97

Price matching at Target is usually not a problem (especially if you are armed ahead of time with their policy):

How does price matching work? If you find an item in a competitor's printed ad that is priced lower than it is at your Target store, we will match the price. The competitor's ad must be local and current, and the product must be the identical item, brand name, quantity and model number. Target.com is excluded from our price matching policy. Competitor catalogs can also be ad matched as long as the catalog displays a valid date and meets all other qualifications.

What if I've already made the purchase at Target? No problem. Within seven days of purchase, bring your Target receipt and the competitor 's current printed ad. We will reimburse the savings to you.

What qualifies as proof of a competitor's advertisement? Please show us the entire printed advertisement. Photos, photocopies, or mobile phone versions of the ad cannot be accepted as verification of competitive pricing.

What does 'identical store item' mean? The program covers items with the identical brand name, size, weight, quantity and model number of the item at Target stores. We reserve the right to verify a competitor's advertised price and the availability of the product.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I had a brain fart and put this in last week's RU yesterday: all three of the Scream movies are $5.99 at Target on a Sizzlin' Summer display.

AND the Star Trek store has each season of Enterprise for $29.99. Not sure for how long, but it's a good deal if you're inclined.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Aaron Silverman said:
Borders had a deal a few weeks ago where the LOTR set was around $62, IIRC. I'm waiting for Black Friday on that one. Dunno if I'll even watch those again until my son is old enough to handle them.
borders rewards plus members got an extra 5% off. My total is a about $57 shipped to store.
Jason_V said:
I had a brain fart and put this in last week's RU yesterday: all three of the Scream movies are $5.99 at Target on a Sizzlin' Summer display.

AND the Star Trek store has each season of Enterprise for $29.99. Not sure for how long, but it's a good deal if you're inclined.
Star Trek store?
Ric Easton said:
Oh, and I guess those pewter things are just pieces from a missing LotR Chess set. I'll pass!
That's what it looks like to me too.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by TonyD

Star Trek store?
[/QUOTE]

Star Trek Store, Tony. They had Voyager sets on sale for the same price back in May and they got to me rather quickly, considering the backorder. No special codes or anything. I'm just waiting for the BD TOS sets to get marked down along with the TNG movie set and I'll be done.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I think I gotta stop by Target and check out the $1.99 DVDs!

Thnaaks, Mike...and THIS kind of activity reminds me of the "old days" I posted about a few weeks back!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattH. /forum/thread/312572/weekly-roundup-6-28-2011#post_3826573

I think I gotta stop by Target and check out the $1.99 DVDs!

Thnaaks, Mike...and THIS kind of activity reminds me of the "old days" I posted about a few weeks back!

I dunno, Eric. HERE'S a random WRU from five years ago (6-20-2006). 60 replies. No great shakes of releases. But it just seemed like the marketplace was more interesting in terms of what was being reported.

Interestingly (well, to me anyway)...there were still five vendors in the price grid (Circuit City and Costco were still in the mix). And...HD titles were so new I was still including them in the DVD grid.

6-22-04 WRU. 76 replies. Johnny Depp's Secret Window was the week's big release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Official HTF Review of Sucker Punch is now linked-to in the OP.

=============

Has anyone been by a Target yet today and happen to notice what they are selling the LotR blu Trilogy for?!?

billnye97

Auditioning
Real Name
Dion Adanich
That's insane. I wonder if Warner Brothers had some deal with Best Buy?? Target is usually pretty good with there prices.
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I guess that explains why it wasn't featured in Target's flyer this week...

/forum/thread/312572/weekly-roundup-6-28-2011/30#post_3826936

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by billnye97

That's insane. I wonder if Warner Brothers had some deal with Best Buy?? Target is usually pretty good with there prices.

They did have an official launch party at Best Buy...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
In the unlikely event that someone doesn't have either of the Transformers movies on DVD or Blu-ray, buying them at Best Buy will give you a $5 coupon good for "upgrading" a paid 2D admission to see the new Transformers film to 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks