What's new

Weekly Roundup 6/25 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
[c]
__________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub_Borders
20 Million Miles/Earth___$18.71__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$23.99
A Beautiful Mind - SE WS_$22.49__$17.99__$17.99__$19.79__$21.48__$28.99
Brideshead Revisited_____$59.96__$69.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$68.99
Brilliant Madness (PBS)__$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$16.99
Farscape Season 2 #1_____$29.99__$22.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$39.98
First Nudie Musical - SE_$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
Gosford Park - SE________$19.99__$19.99__$17.99__$17.49__$18.98__$23.99
Medabots #2: Robattle!___$14.99__$12.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.98
The Sheik (1921) w/TSOTS_$18.74__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
Space: 1999 Set #7_______$29.96__$24.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$34.99
Space: 1999 Set #8_______$29.96__$24.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$34.99
Tumbleweeds (1925)_______$18.74__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
WTC: The First 24 Hours__$14.96__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$16.99
Without Limits-NASA T.P._$22.49__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$21.99
[/c]
* It's not a Perfect world: Yes, that is just one of several titles streeting this week from Columbia and New Concorde which are *not* in the Roundup because they aren't released in the Original Aspect Ratio of their theatrical presentation. Bummer...less for me to buy! :frowning:
* [rant]Speaking of Modified Aspect Ratio's...beware that A Beautiful Mind is released this week both in Widescreen OAR :emoji_thumbsup: and Fullscreen MAR :thumbsdown: versions. Watch those markings! Be sure to get the unaltered cinema version![/rant]
* "Where's Costco?" In a nutshell, the source of my Costco prices is unavailable right now, and has been all morning. I cannot tell if this is for an hour, all day, for a week, or forever. I will check back there when time allows, and if I can get the prices I will post them here in the Roundup. [rant]EDIT: Costco's there now![/rant]
* "Why's Borders on there...didn't you say 'no more'?" Well, since Costco isn't on there today, and since many of the titles released this week aren't the type of thing you tend to find just any old place, I relented for this week, and put Borders back in the Roundup. It's a one-week exception, at least for now.
* Best Buy has an extra deal of some sort on A Beautiful Mind, but due to a glitch at their website, I cannot bring up the fullsize online representation of their weekly sale flyer; I can only see the thumbnail version. Perhaps someone with a newspaper version can help me out. But - take this with a grain of salt - I *think* it says that you can save $4 if you buy this on the same transaction as PBS's American Experience: A Brilliant Madness. This makes sense as a matchup, since they are two different takes on the life of "mad" mathematician John Nash. The film, of course, won several Oscars...but the PBS version is the only authorized biography of the man, and it includes interviews with Nash himself. So I am interested in both discs in any event...so I certainly hope I'm right about the combo savings.
* Two silent films are in this week's Roundup! Three if you count the bonus film The Son of The Sheik thrown onto the same disc as The Sheik. Woohoo! Where's Patrick McCart? :D
* Target and K-Mart are concentrating on "Fourth of July"/Summer themes this week, and so DVDs are rather absent from their sales this week. But Target shows A Beautiful Mind at "Low Price" this week...and that is it for both chains!
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
None!
Other Price Reductions not listed at VideoTropics:
--------------------------------------------------
None!

Scott_Alan

Auditioning
David,

I have the BB ad, and the deal on "A Beautiful Mind" is you save $4 if you buy it with either "Gladiator" or "Gosford Park".

Scott

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Scott, thank you. It's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the clarification.

John, I'm not familiar with that title, is why I didn't list it. What IS it?

Jodee

Screenwriter
The Laramie Project was an original HBO movie a few months ago. I still have it on my ReplayTV. I believe the Best Buy price is $17.99.

Some Costco prices taken from their web-site earlier (I do my own Weekly Roundups, weeks in advance so I can plan my online pre-orders):
Gosford Park - $17.49

By the way, Circuit City is also having the take $4 off if you buy both Beautiful Mind & Gosford Park. I am so there for $15.99 apiece!

CompUSA also advertised Gosford Park for $16.99.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes! Another no-buy week for me! I say that in jest because I just bought a guitar and I know that July/August is going to be killer months for me in the world of DVD.

Time to get a second job!

Again, thanks for doing this David. If it weren't for the grocery coupons I wouldn't need to get the Sunday paper thanks to your excellent round-up.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The Laramie Project premeired at Cannes, then was on HBO. It's the Matthew Shephard story told from the perspective of Laramie residents. It's quite powerful. It's better than the stage version for some reasons, but also aspects don't pack as much punch on screen.

It has tons of A-list people in the film including Laura Linney and Christina Ricci.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Don't forget

Tokyo Olympid Criterion
Hearts & Minds Criterion
Importance of Being Earnest Criterion
Devil's Backbone
Affair of the Necklace

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget
Tokyo Olympid Criterion
Hearts & Minds Criterion
Importance of Being Earnest Criterion
Devil's Backbone
Affair of the Necklace
Sigh. I'm saving my energy for August, okay? :D
Maybe I'll try to knock out a couple of these before Tuesday morning, but no promises.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Well off to Best Buy to get Beautiful Mind, and maybe manage to get a cheap DVD from Amazon's gold chest deal. ^^
What's up with that Gold Box deal anyway? About all I ever see is kitchen appliances and nose-hair clippers and other such junk. I thought somebody said they base the offers on your past purchase patterns, but that can't be true since just about all I ever got there are DVDs. I've seen a DVD only twice (Ocean's 11 both times, and the final price was only 40% off - I already got it for cheaper at BestBuy.com when it came out). Anyway, I'm underwhelmed with the Gold Box thusfar.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Nothing this week, which lets me save for next week and ST:TNG season 3. Hoping for a good sale price somewhere. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, something else to letcha know about. If you buy a DVD Player at Best Buy - ANYthing, even the $64.79 Mintek DVD-1600 cheapo - you get can purchase up to 3 Disney titles...any you want...for 50% off. Must be on the same transaction as the player. Must be on the same day. Limited to stock on hand. Blah blah blah.
Plus, if the player you buy is a changer of any sort, get a $25 BB gift card by mail. That can come in handy for the multi-disc sets of Pearl Harbor and Fellowship of the Ring which are coming up! :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
John, the best place to get those Criterions you mentioned is going to be DVD Planet - they've been pricing the entire collection at 35% off for months now. I've never seen a B&M sell Criterions anywhere near that kind of discount.
My copy of Heart And Minds should be here tomorrow. Funny, they didn't ship Tokyo Olympiad at the same time, which makes me wonder if it was delayed??

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Costco's website also shows 'A beautiful Mind' at $19.79

They also show ST:TNG#3 at $89.99, for the person who commented on it earlier in this thread. (Not till next week though!)

Sarah S

Second Unit
David, in case you (or anyone else) was interested, Target is giving away a Free Calculator away with any purchase of A Beautiful Mind. If you need one. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks