Weekly RoundUp 6-19-2012

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Did you check all the end caps? I had a tough time locating the new Rush CD at Target last week. I eventually found a single copy on a new-releases endcap (and a few minutes later noticed that they'd put out a dozen more after I'd taken it!).

Mike Frezon

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /t/321613/weekly-roundup-6-19-2012#post_3939989
Did you check all the end caps? I had a tough time locating the new Rush CD at Target last week. I eventually found a single copy on a new-releases endcap (and a few minutes later noticed that they'd put out a dozen more after I'd taken it!).
Oh man. I started at the new release end cap. Went to the "Kid" new release endcap. From there went to the Disney sub-section and then to the greaer blu kids/family section. From there I did a quick scan of the entire Blu aisles (which are, unfortunately broken up into so many segments it gets hard to know where to find anything--on top of different genres there are the various $14.99 and under, $9.99 and under, $5 section, etc.).

I then was sure to check the new release section at the front registers (often stuff gets put there that doesn't make it back to the Media section).

I also saw the cart that the employees were using to stock this week's new releases. It wasn't on there either. Oh. And I even checked all the shelf tags to make see if it SHOULD be there. Nothing. And all the advertised new releases were out in both the DVD and CD sections. I made sure to pick up the new Justin Beiber CD today..........

..............NOT!

I considered asking an employee to check and decided it wasn't worth the extra time and effort and that I could wait for amazon to deliver it on Friday.

I am getting less and less enamored with store shopping for media.

It would be nice to have a couple of on-line challengers to amazon's overwhelming superiority in the on-line media market. Think of what price wars might erupt! Amazon does such a great job price matching its competitors.

Jeff Cooper

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
I can confirm that Blade and Blade Trinity were indeed released today, I just picked up both from the San Marcos Fry's for $7.99 each. Blade Trinity was easy to find, but Blade was eventually found on a separate display rack away from the general blu section. I picked up what looked to be the last copy, although I was there only 1 hour after the store opened. Both did have codes for $5.00 movie cash for The Dark Knight Rises, in the form of a sticker on the outside shrink-wrap. So be sure not to quickly throw away the shrink-wrap!

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/321613/weekly-roundup-6-19-2012#post_3939968
And...I made a special trip to my local Target this morning...just to see if they might have today's Blu release of Newsies on the shelf.

They did not.

I should have just ordered it from Amazon to begin with.

Since I don't see myself getting to my local Best Buy any time this week (and even if I did there's no way of knowing if they'll be carrying it--unless Adam lets me know! ), I just ordered from Amazon now and will have it on Friday.

I understand that Newsies is no Toy Story or Pinocchio...but Target has a fairly lavish kids section (EVEN a kids/family Blu section--with its own dedicated Disney sub-section). Why its not there is a surprise to me.
The review copies of Disney's three vault titles for the week haven't gotten here yet either. I've been assured they're coming, but not yet.

Mike Frezon

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/321613/weekly-roundup-6-19-2012#post_3939968

I just ordered (this week's Blu-ray release of Newsies) from Amazon now and will have it on Friday.
Actually...it was ordered Tuesday afternoon...and in my mailbox on Wednesday afternoon. Not more than 26 hours from pushing the "Order' button to having the package delivered. That will never get old...and will never cease to surprise me.

Mike Frezon

Originally Posted by MattH. /t/321613/weekly-roundup-6-19-2012#post_3940073
The review copies of Disney's three vault titles for the week haven't gotten here yet either. I've been assured they're coming, but not yet.
They show up yet, Matt? I'm curious to hear your view on this disc.

I'm spinning it right now.

It seems to be one of those discs where the menu audio is incredibly unmatched with the film's audio. When the typical Disney fireworks started popping off when the disc loaded, I practically blew out my speakers. And once, when I stopped the disc to select a different scene and the menu music came up--same thing. (BTW, the scene select menu sucks).)

I like the audio on the disc...it's a very aggressive mix. If a bit uneven. There are times during some of the wonderful Alan Menken musical numbers that it seems like the volume of the songs jumps up and down all on its own. King of New York is one such number. It's subtle...but it seems real to me.

Oh. And the menu doesn't pop up over the film like most Blu-rays. It requires you to stop the film and leave it to get to the menu.

EDIT** And...both "Theatrical Trailers" are 4:3?!? Why would that be?

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/321613/weekly-roundup-6-19-2012#post_3941016

They show up yet, Matt? I'm curious to hear your view on this disc.

I'm spinning it right now.

It seems to be one of those discs where the menu audio is incredibly unmatched with the film's audio. When the typical Disney fireworks started popping off when the disc loaded, I practically blew out my speakers. And once, when I stopped the disc to select a different scene and the menu music came up--same thing. (BTW, the scene select menu sucks).)

I like the audio on the disc...it's a very aggressive mix. If a bit uneven. There are times during some of the wonderful Alan Menken musical numbers that it seems like the volume of the songs jumps up and down all on its own. King of New York is one such number. It's subtle...but it seems real to me.

Oh. And the menu doesn't pop up over the film like most Blu-rays. It requires you to stop the film and leave it to get to the menu.

EDIT** And...both "Theatrical Trailers" are 4:3?!? Why would that be?
Sad to say, they haven't shown up, and I'm beginning to give up hope. The PR firm/individual handling them assured me he mailed them last Friday, but as of Thursday, no discs.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddie O. L.