What's new

Weekly Roundup 6/11 (1 Viewer)

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
At Best Buy starting June 13th they are selling Jerry Maguire for $15.99 and a few others like Black Knight and Spy Games. Jerry seemed like the best deal though. I am not sure how long this sale lasts. Maybe through the weekend for Father's day?

-Eric

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Great roundup, Dave. I agree that you should drop Boarder's from your list. They're as bad as Suncoast. (Why not add DeepDiscountDVD?)
Just wanted to drop a note for all you Best Buy guys. They've got Cliffhanger, Silverado, A River Runs Through It and Midnight Express for $8.99! (I snagged Sly and the western.)

Ed Faver

Second Unit
I second Scott's suggestion to add DeepDiscountDVD as a replacement for Borders. Even with theirsometimes spotty deliveries, they have great prices & just about everything.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
just went to Wal-Mart (and at 7am no less) and there were no copies of Buffy: Season 2 out (and I wouldn't be suprised if they were in one of the boxes on the floor). I asked the lady and she didn't even know anything about it. I hate Wal-Mart even more now.
I too had a problem in getting Season 2 earlier tonight at Wal-Mart. I had gone in on tuesday and noted they had 4-5 copies on the shelf. I didn't have the cash on me so I decided to pick it up later this week. Big mistake. I went in tonight and saw that there were none on the shelf. I asked the clerk if they had any more in stock. She went over to the shelf, noted the label underneath the shelf for it and told me "they just havne't put it out yet". I told her that I had seen it tuesday, the release date. She told me that she didn't think it had been put out for sale yet and should be out in a few days. A few days! What? The release date is 6/11 and they're not getting it on the shelf until 6/15? I'd think someone from Wal-Mart would like to hear this. Anyhow, I thought I'd try once again and asked if there was any way that someone could try to get a copy from "the back" and she said that there wasn't anyone availabe to do it.
Wal-Mart :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I appreciate the suggestions, and the agreement about Borders, but I don't think that I want to add DDD.

While I know it's a fine organization and all of that, and that many members use it, the IDEA of the Weekly Roundup is to stick to B&M stores, and not go up against e-tailers.

There are at least 2-3 web sites I can think of easily that compare e-tailer prices against each other, including DDD. The only reason ANY e-tailer gets included in my Roundup - Amazon - is to have a sort of "baseline". I wanted to take a *medium* priced e-tailer...and a popular one at that...to put there so that you would have an idea as to whether the loss leader prices you might find at a store like - say - Best Buy compared as better or worse than an AVERAGE-type e-tailer price.

"Gee, Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo is out this week, and the average B&M store price according to Dave's Roundup is $19.99; but Amazon sells it for $18.74. So it sounds better to get it online...but wait! Circuit City has it for $16.99!! Holy...can *ANY* e-tailer beat that?!? I'll just pop over to DVDPriceSearch.com and find out..."

THAT is how I intend the Roundup to be used! Of course, you are all free to use it any way you deem appropriate, but that is how *I* use it.

I should also point out that the reason for taking off Borders is that - as much work as the Roundup can be some weeks - the presence of ANY additional listing can make it quite, uh, challenging to look all that stuff up! One of the reasons Amazon was chosen was the EASE in which I can get all the prices off their site for a given week.

If I ever add a different e-tailer to the Roundup, it will likely be to *replace* Amazon, not to supplement it. I will have to be convinced that it's better to go with a "low-ball" e-tailer like DDD than an mid-range price one like Amazon (that's a discussion for a different day). Finally, the e-tailer would probably have to be as easy for me to USE as Amazon currently is.

As always, I thank y'all for the input, though!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, one last Roundup thing for the week!
I checked into these reports of a "Best Buy Father's Day Sale", and it seems to be true. I can't get hold of an in-store flyer, which is probably different than what's online.
What's online is here (10% off selected Action, Comedy, Westerns, & War titles, and the same 10% off Collectors Sets that's been on all week anyway). Don't forget that you can buy it and mark it for in-store pickup.
Both promotions seem to end at close on Saturday. If anyone has any more definate info on in-store prices, please post the bargains here!
Also, is Circuit City or anyone else doing something similar?...

SusanO

Agent
My local Target has a few classic movies in stock for some reasonable prices - if you like old movies you may want to check yours out.

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid Special Edition $14.99 (anamorphic widescreen English & French mono + THX mastering)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance $14.99
(anamorphic widescreen & 5.1 English surround sound / restored English mono)

Easy Rider 30th Anniversary Edition $14.44 (I know Best Buy has theirs on sale this week for $12.99, but in case BB's inconvenient nonexistant / out of stock, this is a good second option especially if you can price match)

Chinatown 25th Anniversary $14.44

Mad Max Special Edition $14.44

They were also putting out their copies of I Am Sam which currently scan for $19.99 but I understand are going on sale on Sunday/Tuesday for $17.99

SusanO

Agent
PS I'm a Borders whiner - sometimes they really really have good deals on newer culty titles that WalMart et al don't carry (especially when the 15% or 20% coupons show up)!
Please keep including Borders David if it's not royally inconvenient - there are deals to be had there if you know where to look especially on older culty and/or out of print titles - see the Chaplin Image box set thread for what I mean ;)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Good thing I didn't pick up Buffy at Wal-Mart last night. I picked it up at Best Buy for $37.99! It's labelled $69.99 on the shelf but has a sales tag in front of it stating it's on sale for $39.99. I got to the counter, it rang up as $37.99. Weird. Cool, but weird.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks