What's new

Weekly Roundup 5/27 (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I might check out The Pianist and The Recruit. It's sad to say that on Tuesday the Good Burger DVD jokes will be laid to rest, as it is finally being released.

Circuit City has a pretty good deal on Bad Boys. If you buy the special edition DVD for $12.99, you get a free movie ticket to Bad Boys 2. So when you figure it out, you'll paying about $5 for the DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The back of the box for The Recruit states:

Next item down specifically mentions that it's 16x9 Widescreen. Here's the box back to judge for yourself:

I saw the thread about this that was mentioned. I can't claim to have read it, but obviously I researched it myself. This release, in my opinion, falls into a "Kubrick" situation. It's not the original theatrical version, but it's how the director intended us to see it.

The studio was also VERY careful to lay things out for us on the back of the box to understand things perfectly before going in.

I decided I would not boycott the release if I were interested in the film (which I may be someday when I have caught up more on my backlog of unwatched DVDs...right now I won't add to it with this one).

In any case, no boycott = include on the Roundup. So there you go.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Nice of them to lay this out so specifically. I blind purchased this via Columbia House as one of my fulfillments. Should ship soon. Since my big gripe with P&S is losing content, I don't really mind more in the frame and besides, in this case it's the directors intent.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Thanks a lot Dave. This was actually a very anticipated week for me because of Charlie's Angels season 1. I'm also picking up The Pianist solely based upon all the rave reviews out there.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Since my big gripe with P&S is losing content, I don't really mind more in the frame
So they can start releasing all DVD's in open-matte fullscreen and we'll be happy? Everything you saw in the theater...and more!

I just wish there was a way to truly be sure of the Director's "intent" beyond a blurb on the DVD case mixed in with all the other marketing hyperbole. Perhaps when someone gets their copy, the insert talks more about what happened (if there is an insert)?

Seems to me like the beginning of films being shot with 16:9 TV's as their primary intended viewing platform. Sure, we released it in theaters, but it was meant to be viewed at home on television.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sorry Malcolm. My beef with P&S has always been the loss of picture, cropping off of the sides. I guess I'm not as much a stickler as others here, if the modification is not the atrocity of P&S. I guess I just fall into the 'more is better' type of personality, be it more of the picture or additional footage like extended editions.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I think it's just the Led Zepplin set for me this week. Nice to not have a spending splurge for a change. :) I liked The Pianist, but as is the case with Schindler's List, I'm not sure I ever will want to see it again.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Is "Homicide, LotS" worth a blind purchase? I like Law and Order, The Shield, and NYPD Blue, so would it be in line with my tastes?

-Lyle J.P.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
Lame DVD release week? I think not! George Carlin - you are all diseased comes out today which makes this one of the best weeks of the year for me!

Jodee

Screenwriter
Just returned from Costco:

The Pianist is $17.39 plus a $4.00 mail-in rebate! Which makes the final total for this an amazing $13.39!

I believe the rebate is only valid on purchases the first week of release, so if you want this title hurry to Costco.

Costco has done these extra rebates a lot lately, but this is the first time I can remember that the pre-rebate cost was already the lowest around. The extra $$ back is the icing on the cake.

Steve_Ri

Auditioning
Circuit was sold out of the Led Zeppelin DVD. They would not even give out a raincheck for the product. Oh well, will go to B.B. with my flyer to price match...

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
The Pianist is $17.39 plus a $4.00 mail-in rebate! Which makes the final total for this an amazing $13.39!
Just notices after returning from Costco that they gave me the $4 rebate receipt. What a wonderful surprise!! Thanks for the 'heads up' Jodee :D .

Joel

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My Circut City was sold out of the Zeppelin DVD, although they had the CD. I didn't bother trying to get a raincheck, just grabbed their flyer and went across the street to best buy. Best Buy had three left that I could find (there could be more elsewhere, who knows), and pricematched the deal without a problem. One interesting thing to note; the Zeppelin DVD sounds like it has a loose DVD in it, but when I opened mine, everything was secure. Just the case type, I guess.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Picked up the Led Zep 2-DVD & 3 CD set. Watched the DVD last night. Excellent sound & picture. CD sounds excellent also.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
'Yes' to Lyle that Homicide:LOTS would be very likely to be something you'll like a lot...

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
On BestBuy.com the DS9: Season 3 shows $109.99 but when you add it to your cart it takes $10 off for $99.99. If I had known that I would have ordered it a week ago. What are they thinking?

Just an FYI.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Just Zep for me this week...
btw, this was a tough find -- everyone's out of it!!
i might have to start ordering dvd's on-line if these increasingly lame b&m stores keep on dropping the ball!
Whole Lotta Zep to watch this weekend:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks