What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features
full

– Top Gun – 1986
full

– Onward – 2020
full

– Lonely Are the Brave – 1962
full

– Emma – 2020
full

– Alice in Wonderland – 1933
full

– Flashdance – 1983
full

– Sunday in New York – 1963...

Continue reading...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is another week in which I think it'll be difficult for many people to tell me this is a "week off."

Just too many high-profile interesting titles...along with a number of upgrades of crowd-pleasers to 4k/UHD.

Have fun RoundUppers! :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This is the week I've been waiting, and bracing, for. I think this might be the most expensive single week for me ever when talking exclusively in terms of entertainment purchases. I really appreciate your work on the Roundup, Mike. Thank you for your commitment to doing this.

Most importantly, The Good Place complete series was an instant pre-order for me as soon as it was announced on the night the finale aired back in January. This is one of my all-time favorite series, and they really stuck the landing. I think the whole thing is as close to perfect as you can get, and I look forward to revisiting the series frequently.

Amazon still says my package will be arriving on Tuesday, which is what it said pre-coronavirus when release date delivery was guaranteed, and the date has never changed. We'll see if that happens. I would certainly enjoy getting it Tuesday, but if it's delayed a few days nothing bad will happen.

After the first three seasons were released on DVD only in the U.S., I very much appreciate that Shout Factory is going with Blu-ray for the complete series set, and at a very reasonable price point, too. The $49.99 price point at Amazon works out to around $1 per episode after figuring in taxes here. I held off on the DVD releases of previous seasons not because they were DVD necessarily, but I just never got around to them. But in this case the wait is paying off.

$49.99 is a big price tag for a blind buy, but if anyone is interested in the series and hasn't seen it, the show has my highest recommendation. The first three seasons are streaming on Netflix right now, and the fourth should make it there sometime this summer, so if you don't want to pay that much to check it out, Netflix is an option right now. Because I love it so much, I'm happy to pay to permanently own it.

There is also a standalone DVD release of just the final season this week. I highly doubt anyone here would choose to pick that up over the complete Blu-ray, but people who have bought the previous seasons on DVD will be able to complete their collections. They are not doing a complete series DVD box set.

I was lucky enough to see Onward twice in theaters before things with the virus got too crazy. I found it delightful and emotional and all of the things. It is another masterpiece for Pixar and I am thrilled to add it to my Blu-ray collection even though it is already streaming on Disney+. I've had the steelbook pre-ordered with Best Buy since the day of the movie's release when they put it up for order.

We'll be trying out their new curbside pickup on Tuesday. I'm not sure how that's going to work, as it is unclear how you're supposed to alert them when you get to the store. But we'll see. Has anybody used curbside pickup with Best Buy since they introduced it? The last time I had a store pickup item with Best Buy was before the virus situation got bad, and they were still doing traditional in-store pickup. I'd love to hear how this works if anyone knows.

The arrival of Onward on disc is of course very welcome, but also seems kind of weird to me. It is the last movie I saw in theaters before the shutdown happened. I completely understand why this is the case. However, I don't think I have ever been away from the movie theater long enough to have the last movie I saw there come to home video before I go see something else. So that's bizarre. I get it and I support it, because I don't think movie theaters should be open under current circumstances, but this still feels weird.

For whatever reason, I have never upgraded Top Gun from the really old non-anamorphic DVD release, so I'm correcting that omission with the new Blu-ray, which is on the way from Amazon. Because my family is not 4K equipped and I don't need that format right now, that saves me a little bit of money by going with the regular Blu-ray edition. Of course, Onward will have a 4K disc in it, but I'm okay with that because I really love that movie and want the steelbook. For Top Gun, I'll be just fine with a keepcase. The steelbook version of Top Gun Mike mentioned has been delayed and will now be released on December 8, presumably due to a manufacturing issue with the case.

I'll also be picking up The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, the new Hunger Games novel, in both hardcover and audiobook. Here's the link in case anyone else is interested:

The audiobook is narrated by Santino Fontana, who you may know as the voice of Hans from Frozen or from his various Broadway roles. I'm a big fan of him, which is the primary reason I want the audiobook as well as the print version. Fortunately, I got the audiobook pre-order for free with an Audible trial, so that's one less thing I actually have to pay for. The hardcover will be on the way from Amazon too. Top Gun and Hunger Games are currently separate orders which both say they'll arrive next Thursday. It would not surprise me at all if Amazon combines the two of them and The Good Place into one package. So we'll see what happens.

There is also a making-of retrospective book about Modern Family coming out this week, which I would probably buy right away under normal circumstances. But with so much else coming out, something had to drop off, and this is the one I won't mind waiting on. Its $29.99 price tag is a lot, too, so hopefully by the time I'm ready to get it, it will have dropped somewhat. If anyone else wants it, here's the link:

And that's it. After all of this, I'm very glad that next week will be a week off.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up The Good Place (everything Jake said about it is correct) and Onward this week. I've already got War Of The Worlds 4K ordered from a Target Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale.

We'll be trying out their new curbside pickup on Tuesday. I'm ot sure how that's going to work, as it is unclear how you're supposed to alert them when you get to the store. But we'll see. Has anybody used curbside pickup with Best Buy since they introduced it? The last time I had a store pickup item with Best Buy was before the virus situation got bad, and they were still doing traditional in-store pickup. I'd love to hear how this works if anyone knows.
I picked up the Star Wars box set back at the end of March and I confirmed that I was coming via the link in the email (I don't think I got that until the day it was available). Then I just pulled up in front where a BB employee was sitting outside under a tent. I told him my name and what the item was, he went back inside for a few seconds and then brought it out to me. I'm sure he was supposed to look at my ID or my phone to see the e-mail or bar code but they didn't bother.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My iTunes copy of War of the Worlds upgraded to 4K, so I don't need that one.

I'll probably pick up Emma when the digital drops below $10. Not a movie I need to pay the physical media premium for.

I loved "The Good Place" but I can't see myself rewatching it, so that's a no-go for me.

Why pay for Onward when I can just watch it on Disney+ as part of my subscription?

So nothing for me! :DBut thanks as always, Mike!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why pay for Onward when I can just watch it on Disney+ as part of my subscription?

I'm really excited to dig into the extras on that one, which (at least as of the last time I watched it) are not yet on Disney+. Of course, I also just really love the movie and would want to own it regardless, but I do plan on going through everything on there. So that's part of the appeal for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike.

You're right. There are lots of prime pickings up for sale this week. Will have to pick and choose carefully.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have no idea where to post this since there doesn't seem to be an ARROW VIDEO general thread, a specific thread for Django/Texas Adios and it;s not a release this week, but with the bizarre history of this item I figured it might be useful since no telling how long this listing might last -- could be a week, could be until July. Likely more people will see it hear than if a separate deal thread was started

ARROW VIDEO was going to release a 2 Film DJANGO/TEXAS ADIOS as a standard release in chipboard slipcase and as a Steelbook in Nov/Dec 2018. A few retailers got advance copies and sent them to some of the customers who preordered (a few from Amazon, several from Bullmoose and DiabolikDVD, and a scattered number of sets elsewhere including a few B&M FYE). At the very last instant something happened legally with disputes over who owned US distribution rights and all the items were pulled back, orders cancelled, some orders in transit were even reversed and sent back to the retailer. This item has been one of those Ebay Vulture Specialty items selling for several hundred dollars to those willing to fork out the dough.

APPARENTLY, something has changed and Amazon has placed a new Pre-order with release date of June 30, 2020. Nobody else has this listed included a couple of US companies that specialize in Arrow and nothing I can find from ARROW on the subject so could be real, could be Memorex, could be an Amazon triple fake (they have put these on order in error a couple times in the last year, but never shipped any)

Prices are currently at MSRP of $49.95, but hopefully if this is real and they are finally going to be able to sell out those Stored Copies it may drop prior to release

Django + Texas Adios (Double Feature) [Blu-ray] (2-Disc Limited Edition)

Django + Texas Adios (Western Double Feature) [Blu-ray] 2-Disc Limited Edition SteelBook

Clay_E

Second Unit
Tried to go to the link to the Best Buy "Deals on TV Shows and Movies" in the OP and got this message "The link you clicked on is malformed. Contact the editor of the originating page."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
HERE'S the correct link, Clay. They must be moving things around.

EDIT: Or, I just figured out...it's because I was trying out a new browser to post the RoundUp and ran into some issues with the links transferring from my template in MS Word.

The Target link ws missing, too.

All fixed! :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the prices, Mike. I will eventually pick up the UHD's of The Blues Brothers and Top Gun, after the inevitable price drops. I have not seen Onward yet, but can watch that on Disney+ when I get around to it, so have no plans on purchasing that title.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Amazon Prime free 1 or 2 day shipping seems to have resumed. I order a disc today and delivery is tomorrow by 9 pm. It was just one item, one order but it was a surprise and hopefully a good sign.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Most of the Disney steelbooks have been on sale so much lately that I already have what I want. That they are continuing to slash the prices seems to indicate that they still are't selling that many and are trying to get rid of too many originally pressed.

Last edited:

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I had the Arrow “Django” preordered thru Target in December 2018 and it has remained on my “orders” for a year and a half. Curious if it will finally be shipped or if I need to place a new order.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon Prime free 1 or 2 day shipping seems to have resumed.

I think it depends on what the title is. Under normal circumstances, all of my pre-orders this week would be guaranteed release date delivery. Instead, one of them still says it's arriving Tuesday and the other two say they're arriving Thursday, though none have shipped yet. If it takes a few days extra, that's fine; I want to be clear that I'm not bashing them about the delivery dates on entertainment items during the pandemic. I'm just saying that it appears to vary from its to item.

Also, the book I had pre-ordered for last week, which was released Tuesday and supposed to arrive Thursday, has not been delivered correctly due to what appears to be a carrier issue with UPS, which has listed it as "out for delivery" since Friday. If it is not delivered tomorrow, I'll probably ask Amazon to replace it. So everything is not totally back to the way it used to be on my end yet. But I think they've still done a pretty good job considering the bizarre present circumstances.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
War of the Worlds and Top Gun are on the way...Top Gun has apparently shipped and will be here Wednesday. War of the Worlds on Sunday.

Onward and Justice League Dark will be purchases down the road.

Thanks Mike!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I said earlier that I suspected Amazon might combine The Good Place, Top Gun and The Hunger Games into a single shipment even thoughI ordered them separately. Initially, the latter two were expected to arrive Thursday, while The Good Place has always shown a delivery date of tomorrow since I ordered it in January pre-pandemic.

I got shipping notice on all three today, but it didn't go exactly as I expected. Top Gun and The Hunger Games are combined into one shipment and now arriving tomorrow via Amazon's own delivery service. The Good Place is also shown as arriving tomorrow, but it is in its own individual shipment sent via UPS.

The other, different book I was to have delivered last week also shipped on time on Amazon's end and went out via UPS and I haven't gotten that yet, so I'm kind of nervous about that, but we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks