What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/9 (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I did go into the store and buy Serendipity + Grosse Pointe Blank - used my $10 coupon from usual suspects to get GPB for free, basically.

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I picked up spygame and mulholland drive, didnt feel bad about the twenty buck price of md since I had two gift cards from bd and us :b

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I made the weekly trek to Best Buy and picked up Spy Game (had always planned to) and Shackleton (impulse, based on subject, reviews, Kenneth Branagh, and low price for a 3-disc set).

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I saw the Shackleton disc last week when picking up The Usual Suspects. I though it was odd that I hadn't heard of it. Then on a day later I see an ad on A&E for the show stating it would be shown on 4/7. That's odd the DVD is out before it's being aired? I'm not sure if that's right, but I thought about buying it. Is it worth the $28?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So...did ANYone buy ANYthing?
I did, but not a DVD... :D
Tell y'all about it tomorrow night.
I just got one of these from Sears:
[c]
05742590000-dv.jpg

Panasonic 16:9 HDTV Monitor CT-34WX50[/c]
List price: $3499.99
I went to this page at BestBuy.com and printed it out their page for this TV set, showing their current everyday $2299.50 price (it's a closeout item; a new model is coming later this year). But BestBuy.com appears to be out of stock on it ("not available for delivery in your area"). So...my local store had one! An "open box" copy with major damage in the venting area in the back! :eek:
So I took the printout to Sears, who have stock on it "on sale" for $2799.99, and handed them the BB.C printout and asked for a pricematch. I informed them that BB had stock on the model (I just didn't mention in what manner).
She asked no questions. She rang it up, no-muss and no-fuss. They have a pricematch policy, and what she was hearing from me was in-bounds for it. So, I charged it to my Master Card Platinum, and I walked out 5 minutes after walking in! My cost: $2299.50 :D
It was delivered today.
Here is a link to a picture of the unit in my living room.
And for those of you who recall the picture of my son watching Superman in widescreen on the old TV set, I've updated that picture tonight! It is here.
Now I have a 16:9 set AND a DTS/DOLBY 5.1 sound system. I am truly a HOME THEATER person now...yay! I plan to enjoy thoroughly....
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Oh, and just to sweeten things up, I stopped someplace to pick up a connector, and what did they already have but The Three Worlds of Gulliver (street date next Tuesday, 4/16). MINE! ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Nice, very nice. I love my Panny PT-47 RPTV, and I saw one of your sets in the store and it's a damned fine set!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nice! Couple questions, though:
1. That's not your receiver wedged between the new baby and the wall, is it? Given how hot mine gets, I would think you need more room for ventilation to avoid overheating and possible damage to the new addition.
2. Isn't it sort of high for prime viewing? Or does everyone sit in recliners? :D
Hmmmm. I'll have to consider this. I never thought I'd have a 16:9 TV until I buy a house with more room because I was thinking more along the lines of 57" rear projection. This may be a nice compromise until the house comes along.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Colors look a lot more saturated on your new set, David. And your kid is growing. :)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I was just thinking the same thing about your receiver. Space looks to be a premium but you could be looking at some nasty heat damage if you don't move it.

Nice new TV BTW.

N

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that's it on it's side. You can't see the air-cooling system (erm, uh, "fan" :) )...it's hidden.
And quiet.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Excuse me Dave while I say... oooo
I need to get me one one those! pretty :D
So, what kind of surround sound system did you get around to buying? Looks pretty nice to me.
Mulholland Drive is the only buy for me this week... that and Super Monkey Ball for $29.99 at Best Buy :D Thanks as always :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave--
Congratulations! Widescreen, High def, 34", etc.
Drool....

I guess me and my 25" Zenith will just have to truck along knowing that you are no longer one of us , but that you have now joined the ranks of them (one of those HTFers with a really cool TV!)!!!
My day will come. The only question is -- will it be some day in the 21st century?!?!?! :laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
Mike, sounds like my wife...until Fellowship of the Rings DVD's were announced!
What won her over in the end was that I took a screen capture of the FotR trailer (available on the InsideDVD disc that came with Total Entertainment #, uh, 5 I think it was OR on the Little Nicky disc), copied it with a paint program, and pasted it onto a large image of the widescreen TV we were looking at.
I must say, a picture's worth a thousand words. It convinced her almost immediately. She's sitting right here while I post this, and she's a tad embarassed about it. But I wasn't trying to manipulate her, just convince her that we'd both enjoy the thing. So I pulled out the biggest gun I had. After all, she'd brought it up as a possible anniversary present just a few weeks prior.
Get your wife and family involved, make it a benefit for everyone. That's my advice. Oh, and being able to afford it. We scrimped and saved for 2 years to pay off old bills, so we could create a big new one. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks