What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/8 (and 4/11 for Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets!) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten a few e-mails saying that the Fry's price is $13.88, not $13.99...what's the confusion with this sucker? :confused:

On the Borders front, I got this bit of info:

Well, I got the $26.99 price by going to BorderStores.com and looking up this title in the "store inventory" function. Now, that website is careful to point out that the prices listed are the everyday prices, and do not include in-store markdowns (read: sale prices). So if Borders has this on sale for $18.99, and then will give "10% off your entire purchase" with the coupon (IF they honor both "sales"), then the price comes to $17.09. Still high-ish, but at least in the ballpark.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know if you all have one in your area but Media Play has Harry Potter for $15.99 and are offering the Gremlins SE with it for an additional $4.99 when purchased together. Not a bad deal for both...

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Wow, what a poor week for me. I just did a first pass on using dvdprofiler (thanks to a friend of a friend for the bar code scanner!!!) ~700 dvd... won't be growing too much this week.

Outpost always over prices the fry's retail stores. They had a 200GB hd two weeks ago only to see the retail ad for $30 less the following week. And too boot there's not price matching. Seems stupid to me, but I'm viewing from the eyes of a consumer.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
David, sorry my Sunday paper is at home. However judging by past Frys experience they are known to price things at $xx.88 rather than the standard $xx.99 practice. Don't know why, and it's not always consistent. But I mean, it's $0.11 so either way, $13.99 or $13.88 it's a hell of a deal!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...two of the 3 people who told me that the price was x.88 replied and said they were mistaken; it was x.99; so perhaps the thing was that they are used to seeing x.88 and their minds played a trick on them? Who knows....

I consider the matter dropped. As you say, 11¢ won't make or break this price. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Amazing how quiet this thread is on a Tuesday!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who thinks Life with Mikey is a pretty funny little flick? :D Seriously! I like it!

Thanks for the roundup, Dave. You deserve a light week every once in a while.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wound up getting "West Side Story" and "Fiddler On The Roof" at Costco (using the $5 discount with the combined purchase). That broke a streak of 3 weeks without a DVD purchase!

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Anybody know if the Harry Potter $12.99 Toys R Us deal is still going on? If so, I'll swing by today to pre-order (Widescreen of course).

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Tommy, I think that TRU deal on Harry Potter was a one-week-only deal, over now. Let us know if you find out otherwise!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I read on another web site forum, DVD Talk I think it was, that someone went to TRU yesterday and they let them pre-order @ 12.99 still. Worth a shot but YMMV.

Looks like Saturday NIght will be a Harry Potter double-feature for me. Got too much going on Friday night, may just see one new release rental then.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's down to the wire here and I still haven't gotten definative word on CompUSA's price on HP2. The website says $19.99, and that would be my guess.

Calling and talking to people at various locations (not just the ones in my city) I'm getting price points of $9.99 and $14.99 and $15.99...as "guesses". Even the employees seem to be prevented from knowing the real price until Friday, so they are either guessing a price competitive with other stores, or guessing the same price as last year's HP1.

Either that or they are good actors.

Or they are doing this on a competitive basis and the sale price will vary by location.

Any way you cut it, I think you'll have to walk into a CompUSA store bright and early in order to find out what price this will run you.

Personally, I'm gonna risk a couple of bucks and head to my 24-hour Wal-Mart on the way into work tomorrow.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just under an hour ago I grabbed HP2 from Wal-Mart at the $14.24 price that I guesstimated it would be. YMMV.

The "Target for $14.99 plus a free 2 liter Coke" deal is frankly better, but carbonated drinks are off the list at my house due to doctor's orders.

The "Best Buy for $15.99 plus pay just $7.99 for either The Goonies or Wizard Of Oz or Willie Wonka" deal is also frankly better, but we already have the other three at our house.

CompUSA's "Hot Price" might turn out to be a bit cheaper, but they won't tell you the price unless you walk in the door, they usually have a very short supply of these deals, and they rarely stock Widescreen copies for this sort of thing.

So $14.24 at Wal-Mart it was for me!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Looks like I'm gonna pick up my $12.99 pre-order when TRU opens at 9:30 EST. Doesn't seem to be much else cheaper, except a slight possibility that CompUSA will have all 3 copies of the WS version on sale for $9.99. :rolleyes

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
Well I stopped by my Wal-Mart Supercenter this morning, and they are selling it for $19.56! I double-checked with the cashier and that is the selling price. I told her I thought I had seen it advertised for cheaper and she said no.

I guess I'll go by Best Buy later today.

Tommy G

Screenwriter

:confused:

Well now that's very confusing. Is Walmart's prices localized to a certain region? I guess I'll go over to the website to see what it lists for there. Dave, out of curiosity, did you present an ad from another store to get that price?

EDIT Update: I went over to walmart.com and they have it listed at $15.98 but only advertise Full Screen :angry: . So, yet another price thown into the mix.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Every individual Wal-Mart store has the discretion to adjust their prices according to local market competition.

My local W-M has no competition, so they always charge the higher price (usually around $19 for a new release). If I drive 40 miles to a W-M that's off the same exit with a Best Buy and Circuit City, I can get the cheap price.

Brian D P

Auditioning
Just in from Borders

April 11-17th only

Harry Potter and the COS for 12.99

Anyone have that link for the Borders coupon? The one from the LA Times in a previous post isn't working.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.