What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-7-2015 (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
Thanks for the list. Just INVADERS FROM MARS for me. Another Scream Factory title that I will watch the extras on and then throw on eBay.

How DARE you, sir! I'll have you know that 1988, HBO watching Tony demands satisfaction! According to him, that movie was AWESOME! Mind you, 2015 Tony has no idea if he is correct, not having seen it in two decades - but still, it shall be pistols at dawn for you and him!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Carlo Medina said:
Definitely getting Singles. But I'm hoping it's just a precursor to getting Linklater's other unreleased-on-BD films like Before Sunrise/Sunset. Doesn't make sense to me that they'd release Before Midnight without the other two movies in the trilogy...
Before Midnight is from a different studio than its precursors. There is a rumor (don't know if it's true) that Warner might license Before Sunrise and Before Sunset to Criterion.

And by the way, Linklater had nothing to do with Singles, it was all Cameron Crowe.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep, my bad Mark - I knew in the back of my mind it was Crowe but something glitched between the brain and keyboard. I think I just conflate all of those movies around that time period when I was in college...

I would love it if Warner licensed those films to Criterion...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
You know, I don't recall anyone ever saying you couldn't have Easter every week. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
They're okay.
From what I remember it's mostly just them walking around talking and doing things together.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Mike Frezon said:
I have never seen any of the "Before" films. I probably should. Right?

Yes you should.

They are absolutely dialogue-driven character pieces, but I find them riveting.

On a related note, Before Sunrise, and all versions of the 2-pack with Sunset, is showing as out-of-print at Amazon, so that might lend some weight to the theory that WB may let Criterion have them. I would love that.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Tony J Case said:
How DARE you, sir! I'll have you know that 1988, HBO watching Tony demands satisfaction! According to him, that movie was AWESOME! Mind you, 2015 Tony has no idea if he is correct, not having seen it in two decades - but still, it shall be pistols at dawn for you and him!

Haha. The disc arrived today so fans are going to be really happy with the V/A. I haven't checked out the extras yet but I'm dying to hear Hooper's thoughts since this was pretty much the final nail in his coffin. I always felt bad for him.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Aaron Silverman said:
I haven't seen any of those (I haven't been much of a fan of his films that weren't written by someone else, to be honest), but the story behind them is kind of interesting, if a little sad.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/05/30/before_sunrise_inspiration_before_midnight_is_dedicated_to_amy_lehrhaupt.html
Thanks for sharing this story. Linklater turned what one might consider a trivial incident into a work of art consisting of 3 films. This trilogy will grow in stature as the years go by.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just thought I should report here my story about ordering a Blu-ray from Amazon in Japan on Monday afternoon (April 6th) and having it delivered to my door THIS afternoon, April 8th!

The original post is HERE. But I'll just copy/paste it here:

==============

OMG.

1.) Ordered from amazon.jp on Monday afternoon, April 6th.

2.) Get a text message Tuesday night from DHL that my "shipment" (I had no idea what shipment) was scheduled for delivery on Wednesday--and that if I couldn't be there to sign...to leave a signed note with the tracking number. This turned out to be quite helpful as we were at a doctor's appointment when the truck arrived.

3.) On Wednesday afternoon, April 8th...my golden retriever Ike safely received the package! He assured me he would have signed for the package himself, if it weren't for that darned opposable thumb thing:

gallery_286742_34_177018.jpg

gallery_286742_34_483148.jpg

gallery_286742_34_502137.jpg

I don't have all the time references correct because of the different time zones involved...but the DHL tracking says the package left Amazon's warehouse in Fukuoka, Japan on April 7th...was shipped to Tokyo...and arrived at Customs in Cincinnati...all on the same day.

Then today (April 8th), the package arrived at the DHL facility in Cincinnati, was processed, and later arrived at Latham, NY (another suburb of Albany--as is Rensselaer) and was on a truck to me at 10:30 this morning! It arrived at my door at 4:10pm.

THAT is crazy.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Mike,

Please let us know what you think of the Blu Ray of "The Straight Story" - it's my favorite David Lynch movie and would love to own a great presentation of it. Maybe Criterion at some point ? But I'll take what I can now :)

Regards,

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The Straight Story is an unheralded classic with terrific performances all around. The DVD drive me nuts due to lack of chapter stops (per Lynch request).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Steve...O said:
The Straight Story is an unheralded classic with terrific performances all around. The DVD drive me nuts due to lack of chapter stops (per Lynch request).
Sadly, even Lynch fans have slightly forgotten it since it doesn't really fit in with the rest of his work. I saw a 35mm print of it back in the fall and it's a beautiful looking movie (like all Lynch movies) and really moving.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Carlo Medina said:
Definitely getting Singles. But I'm hoping it's just a precursor to getting Linklater's other unreleased-on-BD films like Before Sunrise/Sunset. Doesn't make sense to me that they'd release Before Midnight without the other two movies in the trilogy...

If digital is your thing, I just noticed Vudu has Sunrise and Sunset on sale this month for $7.88 each in 1080p HDX. I usually don't buy digital, as I prefer physical copies, but it's worth considering as an alternative to get these in HD quality right now.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Steve...O said:

Yeah, he didn't seem to appreciate the difference between disc and tape.

The lack of chapter stops in Mulholland Drive is a crime against red-blooded American men!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SAhmed said:
Mike,

Please let us know what you think of the Blu Ray of "The Straight Story" - it's my favorite David Lynch movie and would love to own a great presentation of it. Maybe Criterion at some point ? But I'll take what I can now :)

Regards,

Steve...O said:

TravisR said:
Sadly, even Lynch fans have slightly forgotten it since it doesn't really fit in with the rest of his work. I saw a 35mm print of it back in the fall and it's a beautiful looking movie (like all Lynch movies) and really moving.

Well...this is embarassing.

Amazon/japan gets me this disc in record time and I don't actually watch it until four months later.

But let me tell anyone who might be interested that this was one of the most "film like" transfers I've ever seen. The resoilution was crystal clear...and there were even occasional white and black specks which weren't scrubbed clean during the transfer. Just a beautiful film beautifully reproduced. And the audio was incredible. The beautiful score was the highlight of the disc...and there was even impressive LFE throughout...during lightning and engine sequences.

As far as it being a Japanese release, when I put the disc in the player...it just started to play the film. It defaulted to Japanese subtitles, however. A quick call-up of the menu (in English! :thumbsup: ) and the subtitles were gone.

Oh. And even though David Lynch is known not to like them...the disc had chapter stops!

This such a special film and an absolutely gorgeous representation of it. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks