What's new

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm even more surprised that Amazon is digging in their heels so much in regards to whatever this dispute concerns that they are willing to miss out on sales for the #1 grossing film of last year and what will surely be one of the biggest disc titles of this year. Wonder how much longer this will drag on.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been under a rock again. I didn't buy Dr. Strange or Moana. But I did buy The Force Awakens from Amazon. So as far as I can find out, Disney favors certain retailers and Amazon doesn't agree to pricing stipulations from Disney? I has no idea again there is this rift going on.

I guess I have to decide between Best Buy and Target. They both carry a set with 2D and 3D blu ray and DVD and digital copies. Best Buy has a steel case and I don't usually care about those exclusives.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Likely Rogue One later in the week...and depending on the Disney "starting at" price for Moana, Moana.

So...in what is becoming a tradition...I will be picking up the new SW movie (Rogue One) on our anniversary. We're going to recreate our first date (Starbucks and Qdoba...how romantic, right?) and then we'll stop off at BB for Rogue One and Moana.

The Force Awakens came out on April 5 last year and Rogue One is April 4 this year. I'm liking this tradition. :)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been under a rock again. I didn't buy Dr. Strange or Moana. But I did buy The Force Awakens from Amazon. So as far as I can find out, Disney favors certain retailers and Amazon doesn't agree to pricing stipulations from Disney? I has no idea again there is this rift going on.

I guess I have to decide between Best Buy and Target. They both carry a set with 2D and 3D blu ray and DVD and digital copies. Best Buy has a steel case and I don't usually care about those exclusives.

I think it more Amazon wants to be get special favors (kickbacks) not available to other stores and Disney says they have to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been under a rock again.

30247098.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Force Awakens came out on April 5 last year and Rogue One is April 4 this year. I'm liking this tradition. :)

I think we can reasonably expect The Last Jedi to continue this trend next year given that it has the same theatrical window as Rogue One and Force Awakens have employed over the past two years. However, in 2018, for right now at least, the Star Wars movie is the Han Solo spinoff and it is scheduled for May, so that would disrupt this pattern. As longs as Disney keeps the film in May, this will disrupt your tradition since they're not about to keep the Han Solo film away from disc for 11 months.

Now that Avatar 2 has vacated the December 2018 perch that was seen as reserved for it, though, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney elected to move Star Wars there -- but then they would also likely have to move Mary Poppins Returns, which they've slotted for Christmas Day 2018, so it would become a series of dominos falling with regard to their release schedule.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Norman, thanks for that reply. So it's about FairPlay. I like that.

Thanks for that quote Mike. :)

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think we can reasonably expect The Last Jedi to continue this trend next year given that it has the same theatrical window as Rogue One and Force Awakens have employed over the past two years. However, in 2018, for right now at least, the Star Wars movie is the Han Solo spinoff and it is scheduled for May, so that would disrupt this pattern. As longs as Disney keeps the film in May, this will disrupt your tradition since they're not about to keep the Han Solo film away from disc for 11 months.

Now that Avatar 2 has vacated the December 2018 perch that was seen as reserved for it, though, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney elected to move Star Wars there -- but then they would also likely have to move Mary Poppins Returns, which they've slotted for Christmas Day 2018, so it would become a series of dominos falling with regard to their release schedule.

Totally understood and accepted. There's no way the next SW gets held and I get it.

Unless I call Iger and see what he can do for me. :lol:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unless I call Iger and see what he can do for me.

:rolling-smiley:

Well, you could always hold off buying it until April 2019.... ;)

In all seriousness, though, I'm surprised that they haven't already moved Han Solo to December 2018. The last couple years have demonstrated how ridiculously successful the holiday corridor can be for Star Wars, and Mary Poppins could probably easily be moved to another date.

Plus, the last couple of years they have demonstrated a clear desire to allow the current film to complete its theatrical run and disc launch prior to starting marketing for the next one. They won't be able to do that if they keep Han Solo in May following a December release for Last Jedi, so it will be interesting to see whether Lucasfilm wants to have two films on top of each other or not and what impact, if any, the (relative) proximity to Last Jedi will have on Han Solo's grosses. Right now, Star Wars has been made into an annual event; the impact of that changes somewhat if Han is 5 months away from Last Jedi.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ended up having to go across the river to East Greenbush to do some errands, so that pushed me into getting the Target exclusive of Rogue One. For a single movie release, it certainly is a hefty package:
View attachment 37432

I was at the EG Target tonight, too, Adam (maybe they'll put up a banner declaring itself the "Official Store of Video Sales to Members of the HTF!" But I missed you as I was there later in the evening.

Funny thing is, I decided that I just wanted the simple Blu release of the film. I'm not a 3-D guy. But I was also turned off by the size of the bigger package. The slimmer the case, for me, the better. :thumbsup:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Funny thing is, I decided that I just wanted the simple Blu release of the film. I'm not a 3-D guy. But I was also turned off by the size of the bigger package. The slimmer the case, for me, the better. :thumbsup:
Yeah, if I'd had to go Guilderland for something instead, I would have been perfectly happy with the $19.99 regular release at Best Buy.

But such is the perverse psychology of my thought process that I couldn't bear to pay $3 more at Target for the same item. So instead, I paid $8 more for a 3D Blu-Ray that I'll never watch and 10 minutes of exclusive bonus features that I'll probably only watch once. Go figure!:D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I went with Best Buy. I downloaded and used the Best Buy app to buy the blu ray 3D, 2D, DVD edition of Rogue One. It was nice to use Apple Pay ahead of time, walk into the store to the pick-up area and walk out a minute later. It was the fastest easiest transaction I had there. I've not been to this Best Buy in a while. It was almost nostalgic. :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ended up having to go across the river to East Greenbush to do some errands, so that pushed me into getting the Target exclusive of Rogue One. For a single movie release, it certainly is a hefty package:
View attachment 37432
There ARE five physical discs in the package ...
udaCmQU.jpg

(including two DVDs one for the fillum and one for the bonus content)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I got mine from Best Buy but I have been at the East Greenbush Target in the past 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks