What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Huh. I just realized (I was in a rush this morning) that the cover for the EXCLUSIVE version uses a different image for the cover shot.

And some of the slips have the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy wording at the top on the typical medium blue banner while others have the wording sitting on the dark night sky background of the image.

All so confusing.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Your difficulty finding the exclusive in-store make me glad I pre-ordered it online, even if have to wait a couple extra days for delivery.

Is that a keepcase or a digipack? Hard to tell from the picture. And is there an actual disc holder for the third disc, or is it just in a sleeve? Thanks, Mike!

A keepcase with a dedicated disc holder, Jake:

full

That's the BONUS DVD on the left (with the unique artwork) and the Bluray sitting in the middle sleeve with the film DVD on the bottom right. It's nice they used real artwork for the bonus disc. The only other thing in the box was the paper containing the code for the digital copy.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's odd with the LaLa Land exclusive . I've read several reports of people only finding 1-2 in their store, my store at 2pm easily had over a dozen and this isn't a Metro High traffic or even upscale neighborhood store. I opted for the 4K release anyway with the Target Cartwheel 20% plus 4K Arrival while I was there.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
the cover for the EXCLUSIVE version uses a different image for the cover shot.

I assume the change in cover artwork is deliberate to distinguish the exclusive copies from the non-exclusive ones, although since they are not charging a premium for the exclusive, why they would even get the regular one is a bit of a mystery. Why would anyone go to Target and pay the same amount of money for the same thing, only with less content? I mean, I would understand if you were opting for the 4K edition, but picking up the regular edition at Target for the same amount of money as their exclusive seems like a strange decision to make for a film you like enough to own.

The change in color of slipcover text, I can't explain.

Again, I repeat a question that I have asked before: I assume that the stores probably pay money to the studios for the right to have an exclusive something, whether it be a bonus dis or steelbook or whatever, as a means of getting customers to buy it from their store as opposed to a computer. This makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense is why the stores stock it so poorly and make it difficult to find an exclusive item if they paid for the right to cary that item exclusively. Just saying.

Also: have you actually played the bonus disc yet? I was wondering if, despite what the case says, it would actually be Moonlight. Lionsgate does have the Blu-ray distribution rights to that film.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Best Buy's deals this week:

Underworld: Blood Wars 4k/UHD Steelbook $27.99
Underworld: Blood Wars 4k/UHD $27.99
Underworld: Blood Wars Blu-ray $19.99
Underworld Blu-ray steelbooks (films 1-4) $9.99 each
La La Land 4k/UHD $24.99
La La Land BD Steelbook $19.99
La La Land BD $19.99
The Girl with all the Gifts BD $16.99
Animal Kingdom: Complete S1 BD $29.99
Hacksaw Ridge BD $12.99
Planet Earth II 4K/UHD $39.99
Fast & Furious movies 1-7 BD $7.99 each, DVD $5.99 each
Various 3D Blu-rays $9.99 each (Exodus, Jumper, Predator, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Life of Pi, etc.)
Select UHD titles $14.99 (pictured are Chappie, Concussion, and Now You See Me 1)
2 for $10 Blu-rays (pictured are I Am Legend, Point Break (original), Swordfish, Dumb & Dumber)
2 for $20 Blu-rays (pictured are San Andreas, Sex & the City 2, Mars Attacks, Tammy)
Free $5 BB Gift Card with select Sony TV and movie titles (pictured are Sausage Party 4K, Magnificent Seven 4k, Magnificent Seven BD, Ghostbusters: Answer the Call 4k, When the Bough Breaks BD, Better Call Saul S2, Inferno BD, Don't Breathe BD)
Batman Complete Series BD $39.99
Miami Vice Complete Series BD $49.99

There WILL be an ad next week in most markets......

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This eBay listing is additional confirmation of Malcom's post above. There *is* a Wal-Mart exclusive La La Land.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-La-Land-...6622ea61c:g:t9gAAOSwHptY~v-c&autorefresh=true

I'm not going to buy it, but this irritates me because buying the film twice is the only way to get all the extras produced for it. At least choosing between extra content and a steelbook doesn't involve picking content over content, but to split up bonus features among multiple retailers (Wal-Mart, Target) is a shortsighted and improper way to treat fans. Paramount has already gotten away with this on Star Trek, so I'm not sue why I'm surprised, but it's still annoying.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Huh. I just realized (I was in a rush this morning) that the cover for the EXCLUSIVE version uses a different image for the cover shot.

And some of the slips have the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy wording at the top on the typical medium blue banner while others have the wording sitting on the dark night sky background of the image.

All so confusing.
Just when you thought is was safe to dance on the freeway again ... there's another Retailer Exclusive ... Wal*Mart has a different slipcover
LLL-WM.jpg
and 30 minutes of extras on DVD (Q&A with Damien Chazelle). The regular version also on sale is currently the same price as the exclusive ($19.96) but that pricing probably goes to regular pricing on Friday night

I was able to find more copies of the Target exclusive in a cardboard display near the check out stands but I think I ended up with the last copy of the CD of the soundtrack ...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
[Rant]

I HATE retailer exclusives...altogether.

Ya know, I just find these things maddening. I "get" the idea from the retailer's point of view--anything to make their product seem more attractive than their competition's. But I completely fail to see where this is healthy for the manufacturer of the product--and fans.

I have had a thread in the Music Forum (for 12 years now!) in which I bemoan the practice of deals between labels and retailers to create "EXCLUSIVE" versions of albums by adding an extra track or two or three or four. Whatever happened to artist's integrity that they were creating a work of art which was designed to stand alone--but from which singles might also be launched for airplay, etc.?

And from where I sit, it's not much different for studios releasing their films for home video release. Why shortchange some of your customers by not giving them features which they could (should) have access to if they just purchased the same product at a different retailer? And, what about a situation like this one created by La La Land's release which finds multiple retailer exclusives which would require multiple purchases to get all the information that's out there.

It's just wrong.

[/Rant]

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
In case anyone is interested...I just got a Target Cartwheel coupon for 20% off all DVDs and BDs. It is valid through April 29 (Saturday) and does not list any exclusions (ie. sale prices). It is valid in store only.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd imagine the studios don't particularly care about retailer exclusives. At the end of the day, regardless of where you buy it, or how many times you buy it, the studio gets the sale(s). They don't care what version you buy or who you buy it from, and probably hope that the exclusives WILL lead to duplicate sales by fans and collectors.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
[QUOTE="Mike Frezon, post: 4482667, member: 286742"I completely fail to see where this is healthy for the manufacturer of the product [/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you.

However, it's healthy for the manufacturer in the short term because, obviously, money is exchanged between the store and the studio in order for the store to have the right to sell something exclusively.

The bottom line is the studio doesn't care about the fans, or reprinting the film the best way it can with the best possible Blu-ray package. I think that is an incredibly shortsighted mindset to have; especially in this era where so much is being written in the Hollywood trades about the decline of physical media sales and the advent of streaming services like Netflix, it seems to me that the way to entice people to buy your product is to make the best, most extensive special edition possible and offer it at a price so reasonable that fans of the film can't help but want to buy it. Splitting up the extras among different retailers and requiring die-hard fans to make multiple purchases just to get everything is the exact opposite of that.

But, again, Lionsgate got a payout from both Target and Wal-Mart for rights to separate bonus discs (not to mention Best Buy for the steelbook, which is slightly less objectionable because it is just fancy packaging, but still.) So, what do they care about us?

If they cared about us, they would at least have made the Target exclusive content available with the 4K edition as well, so that you didn't have to make two purchases of the same film on the same day. But, nope.

One exclusive for one store doesn't bother me, much. I still think it's the wrong way to go about doing business for all the reasons you stated, but at least if that's what happens you can go to one place and make one purchase and get everything. Two is just annoying. But in neither case are they demonstrating concern for the fans, or for their long-term reputation from pulling such a stunt.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
[QUOTE="Mike Frezon, post: 4482667, member: 286742"I completely fail to see where this is healthy for the manufacturer of the product
I completely agree with you.

However, it's healthy for the manufacturer in the short term because, obviously, money is exchanged between the store and the studio in order for the store to have the right to sell something exclusively.

The bottom line is the studio doesn't care about the fans, or reprinting the film the best way it can with the best possible Blu-ray package. I think that is an incredibly shortsighted mindset to have; especially in this era where so much is being written in the Hollywood trades about the decline of physical media sales and the advent of streaming services like Netflix, it seems to me that the way to entice people to buy your product is to make the best, most extensive special edition possible and offer it at a price so reasonable that fans of the film can't help but want to buy it. Splitting up the extras among different retailers and requiring die-hard fans to make multiple purchases just to get everything is the exact opposite of that.

But, again, Lionsgate got a payout from both Target and Wal-Mart for rights to separate bonus discs (not to mention Best Buy for the steelbook, which is slightly less objectionable because it is just fancy packaging, but still.) So, what do they care about us?

If they cared about us, they would at least have made the Target exclusive content available with the 4K edition as well, so that you didn't have to make two purchases of the same film on the same day. But, nope.

One exclusive for one store doesn't bother me, much. I still think it's the wrong way to go about doing business for all the reasons you stated, but at least if that's what happens you can go to one place and make one purchase and get everything. Two is just annoying. But in neither case are they demonstrating concern for the fans, or for their long-term reputation from pulling such a stunt.
One advantage for bargain hunter can be when the store (eg Wal*Mart) hasn't sold of enough of the chotzkey laden exclusives. After a few months the put them on sale at lower that the cost of the regular disc (eg the Disney classics) and you can save some money ...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's the principle of the thing, Aaron. Whether they end up on YouTube or not is irrelevant Studios should be making the best edition possible for all their movies, especially (almost) Best Picture winners, and making them available to the widest audience possible instead of disregarding quality in the name of a kickback from a store.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
In a perfect world, I agree with you 100%. I just have to pick my battles due to the limited amount of personal agita available to distribute to irritations. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks