Weekly Roundup 4/23

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Apr 21, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[c][​IMG][/c]
    Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
    [c]
    __________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub_Borders
    Angels in the Outfield____$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    Batman/Superman Movie_____$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$16.99
    Batman: SubZero___________$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$16.99
    Batman:TAS - Lgnd Begins__$14.99__$_N/A___$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$16.99
    BB: Rtn/Joker - Uncut WS__$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$16.99
    Behind Enemy Lines SE_____$20.99__$15.99__$16.99__$17.49__$18.49__$23.99
    Blair Witch/BW2:BoS 2-Pk__$14.99__$19.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    Butterflies Are Free______$14.96__$19.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    Cactus Flower_____________$14.96__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    Directed by Alan Smithee__$18.74__$19.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
    Homeward Bound 2: LiSF____$14.99__$19.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    Iron Eagle II_____________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.98
    Iron Will_________________$14.99__$_N/A___$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    JayJay/Jet Plane #2_______$14.96__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    JayJay/Jet Plane #3_______$14.96__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    Justice League____________$14.99__$14.99__$11.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$16.99
    Metropolis (2001 Anime)___$20.96__$24.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$26.99
    My First Mister___________$22.49__$22.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$26.99
    Novocaine SE______________$18.74__$15.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
    Rambling Rose SE__________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$12.99
    The Survivors_____________$14.96__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    Transformers: Season 1____$44.96__$49.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$53.99
    Transformers: S1, #1______$14.96__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$17.99
    Transformers: S1, #2______$14.96__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$17.99
    Transformers: S1, #3______$14.96__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$17.99
    White Fang________________$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    White Fang 2: Myth of WW__$14.99__$_N/A___$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
    [/c]
    * I have no idea if the 4 Disney titles released this week are OAR or not. Will someone please let me know so I can decide if I will pick these up! Thank you.
    * Best Buy will give you $5 more off of Behind Enemy Lines if purchased at the same time as one of these: Tora! Tora! Tora!, Men of Honer, Patton, or The Thin Red Line.
    * Metropolis is the one with the regular DVD as Disc 1 and the 3" "Pocket DVD" as Disc 2. If such a concept interests you!
    * The Transformers Season 1 Box Set comes with 2 art cells enclosed within. Limited Edition, natch.
    * Artisan has released a number of 2-packs besides the Blair Witch Project/Blair Witch Project 2: Book of Shadows 2-pack I mentioned in the Roundup. I won't go into all of them here. Just be on the lookout for them at your stores.
    * Best Buy is advertising SACD players in their weekly ad, if you're interested.
    * Target shows $14.99 each on Batman: TAS - Legend Begins, Justice League, SubZero, & Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. Note that the BB:RotJ depicted in the ad is the OLD, edited version. No idea if this is a mistake, or if they are truly advertising the old one over the new one. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Target refused to carry the new, unedited version. Oh, they also have Behind Enemy Lines at "Low Price".
    * K-Mart shows Batman: TAS - Legend Begins and Justice League for $14.95 each. Novocaine is $17.95 and Behind Enemy Lines is $19.95
    The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
    -------------------------
    • Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker (Edited Special Edition) $24.98 $19.98
    Other Price Reductions not listed at VideoTropics:
    --------------------------------------------------
    All Quiet on the Western Front $24.98 $14.98
    The Allnighter $24.98 $14.98
    Repo Man $29.98 $19.98

2. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

As usual, Great Job David.

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Regarding this week's Disney releases, I was interested in them as well. I'd been trying to get information on them for several days, and think it's odd that none of the websites had any early reviews of these DVDs.
    Anyway, here is what I think is the case:
    Angels in the Outfield: widescreen (1.85), but non-anamorphic
    White Fang: open-matte (MAR)
    White Fang 2: anamorphic widescreen
    Iron Will: anamorphic widescreen
    I got the info from this thread at
    DVDTalkForum (search on "White Fang" on that page) where somebody obtained some of these early. It also seems that these cheaper Disney "family" titles may just be ported transfers from the LD releases, not up to the usual quality we would expect from the Mouse. If true, this is nearly as discouraging as their new P&S-only initiative. We should not have to be putting up with LD transfers anymore. *Sigh*

4. David Lambert

Well, I verified (thanks to DVDPlanet) that Iron Will is anamorphic widescreen and Angels in the Outfield is at least widescreen, and anamorphic is not mentioned:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No back graphics there for the White Fang films, but if anyone finds them anywhere else please post them. AitO was the one I was primarily concerned about...I hope it turns out to be anamorphic despite not being marked, but I won't count my chickens. [​IMG]

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Here's the back cover of White Fang, confirming "Fullscreen 1.33:1" (what a shame).
    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...0&tab=5&back=1
    and here's the back of White Fang 2: Myth of the White Wolf, confirming it's anamorphic widescreen.
    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...2&tab=5&back=1
    I don't understand this inconsistent policy. If White Fang was considered a "family" title and thus Disney decided to MAR it, then how is White Fang 2 any different?
    The ironic thing is that they likely lost two sales from me on this, even though White Fang 2 is OAR. I would have probably bought both, but will pass on WF2 since I won't buy the original.
    Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco is also anamorphic widescreen:
    http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...9&tab=5&back=1
    (of course, the original released a long time ago is MAR)
    I'm still interested to know the overall quality of the video on these suspected LD transfer re-hashes. No reviews out there that I'm aware of yet.

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Hmm I was going to Pass on Behind Enemy Lines but I've been Eying Patton which Best Buy has for 14.99 and to get BBehind Enemy Lines for $10.99. If I really hate it I can probably make my money back on it...

7. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

I will pass on those disney DVDs also. if I can't get the whole series in OAR and enhanced for 16:9 then what is the point?
    They were on my list of DVDs to buy. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. David Lambert

A funny thing as I read over this thread: In my first post I said "4 Disney titles", and I was thinking of Angels, Homeward, and the 2 White Fang's. I'd forgotten Iron Will.
    Then Glenn posts about 4 titles, including IW but leaving out HB2, and so I forgot about HB2 myself! [​IMG]
    Actually, it was 5 titles all along. D'oh!
    Lesse, it was my wife who would want the 3 wolf movies, but we're blowing loads of cash on Transformers and Batman this week, so she'll wait on those. Angel's isn't anamorphic, but I'll take it anyway (probably make a cool double-feature with Rookie of the Year). Homeward Bound 2 *is* widescreen and anamorphic, but the original film is MAR so there's not much chance of a double feature around here.
    Huh. Metropolis is looking really good at $16.99! [​IMG]
    Shoot, I'm running all over the place this week: Target for the Batmans, CC for Justice League and Metropolis, Best Buy for Transformers, and Borders for the two Goldie Hawn films plus any of those Disneys that we might decide to pick up. Sheesh!

9. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

So will Circuit City be carrying the Transformers box set at all?

10. David Lambert

I dunno if CC will have that, actually.

I can't find it on their website. They were the first to have the 'Heros' and 'Villains' discs, and always have T:TM in stock, too. But they're seeming to move farther and farther away from box sets, so I would NOT be surprised to find that they don't get the S1 box in their stores. OTOH, I see no reason they wouldn't carry the individual disc packages instead. But I couldn't locate info on those, either.

Keep in mind that inventory in stores and inventory at the websites are two different animals. Take it all with a grain of salt until you get into the store and see for yourself. Okay?

Thanks,

11. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Thanks again Dave. I'll definitely be picking up Batman TAS (though I wish it were a season 1 box) and Justice League will depend on whether a widescreen presentation is included. It annoys me that it's FF according to announcements.

Return of the Joker is a maybe.

12. David Lambert

RotJ - Unedited says it's FF ("standard") on the back of the snapper, yet it comes up in non-anamorphic letterbox (I know; I already have a copy of it!). Only the end credits are full screen; the rest is in widescreen. Weird, but true.

I hope someone can post one way or the other about JL before I buy it, but I'm betting that it will be the same way.

Anyway, me and the missus put little Steve to bed on Saturday night and watched the uncut RotJ, and enjoyed the heck out of it. Perfecto. Highly recommended, and WB is to be commended for their good job on this one. If you're on the fence about that one, my advice is to reward them by buying it. WB should get the message that doing right by us fanatics is profitable.

13. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Justice League was already reviewed two week ago at DVDfile.com and answers the question...

Daniel L

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Definitely picking up Metropolis (sight unseen) and Rambling Rose. It's interesting that I've found two listings at many online websites for this one. Most of them have nothing on the specs, and the two differ in price a great deal. Is everyone pretty sure that the ones listed in the circulars are for the SE and not some kind of bare bones version (if that is even a possibility)?
    Otherwise, thanks again David.

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Son of a....Rambling Rose has all the indications that it is a MAR'd SE release. Anyone able to confirm if this is true?
    Link to site with back cover image
    Rambling Rose = Family Film!?! Or is this just the product of laziness?
    [​IMG]

16. David Lambert

17. David Lambert

Alex, that looks rather unmistakable if you ask me! [​IMG]

18. Michael St. Clair

David,

1) There is not a single OAR, it was composed for two OARs. Which is a sad thing to do, even if the composition is biased towards one of those ratios.

2) Would you also zoom it if it were non-anamorphic letterboxed 'OAR'? If so, this should look basically the same zoomed as such a ficticious release would.

19. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Well, you should probably update your chart to remove SE from Rambling Rose. This doesn't appear to be an SE release either.
    I'm bummed. [​IMG]

20. David Lambert

Hmmm. Here's the front and back from the new Artisan release coming tomorrow:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And here's the front and back from the now-discontinued Pioneer release, from March '99, apparently done under lisense from Artisan:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Apparently, according to the back, the old version is the better version. It's specifically marked on the front top as a "Pioneer Special Edition", and is widescreen with "commentary by director Martha Coolidge; interview with the director; deleted footage; trailer; alternate ending; cast and crew information". It SRP's for $29.98.
    The new one only SRP's for $14.98, and per the back of the box doesn't have ANY of those things. It's fullframe, 2.0 stereo, and, uh, has scene indexes and menus! YEAH! [​IMG]
    It's strange that Artisan simply wouldn't re-use the old disc, like we've seen happen many a time when lisences expire and rights change hands.
    Hard feelings between the two companies, perhaps?
    If I wanted to own this title, I would be searching eBay and the second-hand stores for copies of the old disc right about now. Except I just jumped over to ebay, and the only copy they have up for bidding right now is the new one. Shucks, guys. Sorry!