What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/22 (1 Viewer)

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
"Gunfight at the OK Corral","Nevada Smith" and "Shane" are available for 11.99 at Costco, "Shane" is in Full Frame, I don't know if it was originally filmed on WS. Anyone?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Near as I can tell, the $5 rebate still applies to the Best Buy combo of Standing in the Shadows of Motown, plus The Temptations (which rings up as free). You just have to send in the receipt and the proofs of purchase. Speaking of which...what constitutes the POP on the Temptations package? The UPC code?

- Steve

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Shane is OAR

At Costco I picked up *4* titles for $11.99 each: one old release (Shane) and 3 new releases: Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Nevada Smith, and Copper Canyon.

Other than those and the too-high-priced-for-release-week Darkness Fall, it was pitiful pickings at Costco this week. No other new releases at all: no Warner musical or superhero releases, no Transformers as mentioned above. Not even the Mad About You set mentioned on their website. :frowning:

So I went to Target and got Darkness Falls for $15.99 and Mad About You S2 for $29.99 ($1 more than Costco's price, no biggie).

Then I hit Best Buy and got pretty much everything else (didn't want to hassle with prices matches anywhere else). I snagged Transformers (last copy of only 6 they got in!), Speed Racer, the Warner superheros, and The Carpetbaggers (was shocked this wasn't in the Costco $11.99 selection). Best Buy had the individual Warner musicals, but not the box set I was looking for (neither did anyone else, it seems)

Later I went back to Best Buy and returned Transformers. Why, you may ask. Suncoast has Transformers S2 Pt. 2 on sale for $39.99!! Now through Saturday! For a $10 difference, you bet I made the switch. There were quite a few copies left at Suncoast, too.

AndreaW tells us that "At my Best Buy, while I was picking up Speed Racer, I was handed a brochure looking thing...in the back, there is a $5 off 3 DVD coupon. It expires 8/30/03. There was a stack of these brochure thingies at the Netflix table by the New Release section at my Best Buy (San Antonio, San Pedro store)." Darnit, there was no such thing at MY local Best Buy. :frowning:

I visited several other stores, and along the way snagged a week-early copy of Xena Season 1, and if I hadn't spent so much money today already I would also have snagged Son Of The Beach a week early as well. But, I am sure I can get that one cheaper and I've got plenty to watch in the meantime. :)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
David, or anyone else, in your travels this week have you seen RETURN TO SNOWY RIVER anywhere? Still looking for positive confirmation that it is not OAR.

You can't always trust the Disney website and I'm just wishfully hoping that Disney didn't do another P&S of a 2.35:1 movie, like Natty Gann last year. If they did I imagine the transfer is pretty bad too. The fact that the MSRP isn't their usual high $29.99 doesn't bode well.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Andrea, thanks for the cover. I'll keep a lookout for it.

Glenn:
David, or anyone else, in your travels this week have you seen RETURN TO SNOWY RIVER anywhere? Still looking for positive confirmation that it is not OAR.

You can't always trust the Disney website and I'm just wishfully hoping that Disney didn't do another P&S of a 2.35:1 movie, like Natty Gann last year. If they did I imagine the transfer is pretty bad too. The fact that the MSRP isn't their usual high $29.99 doesn't bode well.
I've seen your thread in Software about this. I have no response other than what I said before: I'm fairly certain based on the fact that 100% of the internet mentions of this that I've seen have stated that this is non-OAR, so I did not include it in the Roundup. Even if there are fewer mentions of it than normal, I still wouldn't hold out hope that everyone who says anything about this are all wrong.

The Disney press sites that I have access to thanks to my position at TVShowsOnDVD have no word either way on the ratio used. Nor do they have back-of-box art. My experience is that this usually means that it's non-widescreen, and they are trying to minimize negative feedback on the issue.

I have not looked for this title in stores, because even in OAR this title wouldn't be something on my to-get list...I've never seen it nor has the missus or the boy, and we've already bought over a dozen items this week so don't need a blind buy on top of it all.

Sorry I'm not telling you what you want. Good luck on your quest. In your shoes, if I wanted to know badly enough, I'd call enough stores (even if it was a Borders store in New York, New York) just to track down an in-stock copy at a place where I could get a human being to walk over to the shelf and read the back of the box to me. At least your OAR question would be answered, and then you could order it from the e-tailer of your choice.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up Glengarry Glen Ross for $12.99 at Best Buy (retiring another laserdisc). I loved Speed Racer as a kid, but I just don't see myself watching them now. I'm looking forward to Little Big Man next week.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks Dave. Though my posts make it seem so, I'm really not on a "quest" for this or I'd be out there actively looking myself. I'm just looking for actual confirmation and thought maybe somebody had seen it with their own eyes. My curiosity is piqued.

I recently bought the original and if the sequel were OAR I wouldn't mind having it too, but it's actually not a priority as I have lots of others ahead of it on the "want" list.

I know that 100% of internet mentions are that it's MAR, but I suspect those may all lead back to the same source. I also agree with your theories about Disney keeping the information shrouded -- that usually means it's non-OAR and they're not especially proud of it, especially for a 2.35:1 film. We'll see.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Nothing for me this week, except Standing in the Shadows of Motown, which I had preordered from DDD for $12.22. I am not interested in any of the extra stuff being offered with this title by BB and CC (and who needs more clutter?) and this was too good a price to pass up.

After having declared that I was only going to buy Spirited Away last week, I ended up with this plus Kiki (as a gift for my older daughter), and (thanks to the wonderfully diverse people who read and post to the Roundup), I also ordered The Singing Detective. Then I ordered Eve's Bayou for good measure, a film I have always wanted to own. So, last week turned out to be pretty expensive for me after all!

Next week I have to buy Xena Season 1 (also as a gift for my older daughter) and I am hoping that my local Best Buy will be well stocked. I want to use a $5.00 Zoner coupon for this title and I also want the purchase to go on my Zoner card, so here's hoping ...

Deborah

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, shoot. Thanks for the info that Songbook wasn't included.

Honestly, two of the 5 films were marginal. Maybe I'll just skip the box and get the 4 DVDs I know for a fact I want.

Oh, well...things either changed or he didn't know what he was talking about in the first place. Had my hopes up all this time for nothin'! :frowning:

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'm disappointed that Songbook won't be included too, even though I ordered the set not knowing anything about it. Would have been a terrific extra, but not one I want to pay that much for.

I notice from the transcript that Mr. Feltenstein was one of the WB reps at the HTF chat last night. Too bad we didn't get to ask him about this.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll enjoy the set anyway.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Sam's Club B&M has 2-packs of Fox dvds for approx. $10 (9.87 at mine, heard 10.27 at others). I picked Quills and Cousin Bette. Also saw Working Girl, The Towering Inferno, Tigerland, among others.

They've also got assorted Thomas & Friends dvds, that each come with a wooden train car that goes with the Thomas wooden train sets, for 12.86.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks