What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-20-2010 (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I'm making this the image for my iPad's lock screen, thanks!
I believe that's already Steve Jobs' avatar. And Apple is contemplating rebranding and using that as their logo.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What has happened over those last eight years in your life?!? For me, my oldest child graduated high school, graduated Cornell, got married and is celebrating her third anniversary! And that's just one example!

Look at the list of names who contributed to that thread. Where are they now? Dave Lambert, Rob Lutter, Scott_J (one of the few HTFers I've met in person and doesn't stop by anymore...), Jeff Peterson (another former HTFer that was local to me), and on & on. It's a veritable "Who's Who" of formerly active members.

And, of course, there are some still-active folks (like you & me)...including Sam Posten, TonyD, Qui-Gon John, Malcolm R, Aaron Silverman. And I notice in one post Patrick Sun is hoping to score a 120Gb HD with a BB coupon!

Memories....may be beautiful and yet...

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Has it really been 8 years? Wow.

Some of the highlights...

Bought a house... fortunately at the begiining of the 8 years, so we're not in trouble
Birth of my two daughters
Celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary with lunch at the Eiffel Tower and dinner on a boat cruise on the Seine River (a la Charade... in fact that was the inspiration as my wife loves Audrey Hepburn) followed by a week on Greek islands.
My brother and sister both got married and both had boys

Glad you found that thread. I'm going to read through it when I get some free time for the nostalgia.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by nolesrule

Has it really been 8 years? Wow.

Some of the highlights...

Bought a house... fortunately at the begiining of the 8 years, so we're not in trouble
Birth of my two daughters
Celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary with lunch at the Eiffel Tower and dinner on a boat cruise on the Seine River (a la Charade... in fact that was the inspiration as my wife loves Audrey Hepburn) followed by a week on Greek islands.
My brother and sister both got married and both had boys
Very cool. The Eiffel Tower and the Seine. Wow. I cannot imagine what that would be like. One of these days I'm going to have to do something incredible like that.

Glad you found that thread. I'm going to read through it when I get some free time for the nostalgia.
Enjoy it. A real "blast from the past..."

In the old software, we use d to have a "Favorite Threads" feature on our home page (just below the "Subscribed Threads" list). I keep pushing for it's return...but I'm doubtful. It was a great way to keep track of particular threads that you like to reference on a regular basis...or direct people to.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Mike, it was an incredible trip. We took that trip to Paris and then the Greek islands with another couple we are close with who got married 6 days after we did. The most interesting thing about the trip? The other husband and I planned the whole thing. No input from the ladies. My wife didn't even know where our first destination was till we got to our international gate in Philadelphia (following a morning flight to Philly and a day trip into the city). We didn't tell the ladies about the Greek island destinations until we were about to travel to each one of them. It was a fun trip.

The running gag that we told the wives was we were going to Antarctica, which in July is winter.

I'm pretty sure I posted a link here once, but if you want to see the pictures, let me know and I'll send you the gallery link.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you find the link, post it here. I'll live vicariously through you.

It's a big deal for my wife and I to get to the mall on the weekend!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/299869/weekly-roundup-4-20-2010/30#post_3683809
Mike, I know what you mean. We have two small kids, so going anywhere is a minor miracle.

Here's the link to our anniversary trip...
http://www.kauffmanfamily.com/gallery/v/europe2008/

The sad thing about that gallery is I haven't added anything new since before rugrat #2 was born.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We're practically empty nesters. Our youngest is a sophomore in college. So, except for summers...my wife and I are on our own.

But the cost of college makes traveling (and other big-ticket stuff--like high end HT gear

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Picked up Avatar @ Target last night. I haven't seen that many copies of a single movie in a retail store at one time in quite a long time. Wow. A huge free-standing display near the front registers along with an entire end-cap in the media section. $16.99 for the Blu-ray with the purchase of another selected BD title ($14.99).

I had Kingdom of Heaven in my hand as the second title...but then got my wife involved and ended up with Australia. I know Australia got middlin' reviews...but I also figured I'd have more of a chance to watch it than I might ever really get a chance to wade through Kingdom of Heaven. I had all the other 'select' titles I might have been interested in.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would've sprung for Avatar too, except I'm rather reluctant about the double-dip situation w/ it. I get the feeling I'm gonna really want the bigger, deluxe edition release expected later this year, so I'm probably better off just renting this one for now unless the price drops big time. Don't get me wrong. I do not begrudge Paramount (nor Cameron) about their plans for this film since they made things fairly well known to us ahead of time -- and the wait is not all that long (for the next edition anyway). I also don't care too much about owning the 3D version anytime soon (if ever) either, which is partly why I'd rather wait a little to own an edition that will completely satisfy.

Just wish though that I had remembered to put Avatar on my Blockbuster queue w/ a chance to receive it right now instead of significantly later (w/ the "long wait"). Maybe I'll just try the neighborhood mom-and-pop rental store for once w/ this one, if the wait looks to take too long.

RE: Kingdom of Heaven, yeah, I bought that a long while back (maybe 2 years? ago) at a bargain price, but still haven't gotten around to watching it yet since it's such a loooong film (especially w/ this director's cut). The wife actually does want to watch it, but we just haven't found time to watch it in one sitting (as I hate splitting it up unless it's something I've watched several times already).

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt ">[/url]

The random integer gods favored me over that the HTF Avatar contest, so I lucked out on that front.
[/QUOTE]Kool! And congrats! Now, can you rub some of that on me for this week's contest?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Picked up Avatar @ Target last night. I haven't seen that many copies of a single movie in a retail store at one time in quite a long time. Wow. A huge free-standing display near the front registers along with an entire end-cap in the media section. $16.99 for the Blu-ray with the purchase of another selected BD title ($14.99).
I was certainly shocked at the number of copies of Avatar (DVD and Blu) I saw tonight at my closest Target -- this store probably had 30+ copies of the Blu on display at the 2 racks and twice that number of DVD. 1 in the usual new release Movie section of the store and a whole rack in the front of the store where I've never seen any new releases of DVD and never seen Blu-ray of any kind..

This isn't in the area of town that I expect to see a lot of Bluray selling. While I was buying my copy I saw at least 5 other people check out with Blu-ray and half dozen other customers carrying DVD's around the store at aroun 6:30pm. In the last 6 months I bet I haven't seen 6 other people buying Blu-rays total at this store.

One lady was looking at Avatar and picked up 4 or 5 copies of the DVD, looked at them, and put it back. She looked at me holding the Blu-ray and asked if all of them were widescreen and if I knew if there was a Full Screen version since she didn't have a widescreen TV. I told her there weren't any and it was only released in widescreen. She looked somewhat disappointed and put here DVD back and walked away.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I lucked out at my local Target as they only had a couple of copies of BR left Thursday's afternoon, I couldn't find "Kingdom of Heaven" DC in any rack and the associate was clueless. I paid 19.99 for Avatar but I 'm going to try tomorrow again. Hopefully they'll issue the credit using the old receipt ....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I got a bit o' that ol' Random Integer Generator Magic too. :) Good luck, Man!

Looks like the massive shipments paid off -- I heard on the news that initial sales of Avatar on Blu were by far the most ever at 1.5 million or so copies. The previous record was The Dark Knight at ~600,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks