What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/20/04 (Still me again) (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Two notable omissions from this week's round-up are the WB/HBO releases of Prime Suspect 4 and 5. Both are priced the same at the listed retailers:

Amazon: $20.99
Best Buy: $24.99
Circuit City: $24.99

Others N/A

I feel like I stumped the TV on DVD professor. :) Thanks for returning for a couple of weeks, David.

Regards,

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator

Hmm... That's weird. In the Fred Meyer add I have, right above the 20% off coupon itself, is a box with large bold text "SAVE 20% Entire Stock DVD Gift Sets 24.99 and Up (From Regular Prices - With Coupon)." That box has pictures and prices for Band of Brothers, LOTR: TTT EE, Indiana Jones, CSI: Season 3, Alient Quadrilogy, and Master and Commander. I think that makes it abundantly clear that the coupon is valid on M&C. (To be fair, it does say "Collector's Edition" under the picture, but that sure fits my definition of a "gift set.")

Dang, I sure hope it works for me. I don't have a Costco membership and was planning on getting it at Fred Meyer. Anyone found a better deal (online or B&M) for M&C?

Dave C.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Well, I made a blind buy of M & C today at Best Buy today. I purchased the deluxe set based on all the good things I had heard about the supplements. The art work and inserts are top notch, I noted to myself, as I opened it in the parking lot.

Off to Wally World to pick up some other mundane stuff, and I see the deluxe set for $20 there!:angry:

Of course, I can't price match it at BB, since they have no flyer, and I already opened it, so I can't return it. I guess it's a $10 lesson!

John

Alex S

Second Unit
My Costco didn't have any Master & Commander CE's only the single disk. So I had to get it at Best Buy for $29.99.
They didn't have too many of the CE's. I have a feeling they are going to be hard to find pretty soon.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Buy a copy at Wal-Mart for $20, then take that unopened copy to Best Buy and get your $30 back.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Yep, my Costco seemed to only have the single disc of Master & Commander but it was in special packaging and included a novel.

Where did this $25.99 price come from?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

Also you can buy it at Wally world and return it. Then take the reciet to best buy and do the price match + 10% for an extra dollr off. Wally world near me had the 2 disc for 28 and some odd change.

Did tou get the best buy bonus disc also? They may give you a little trouble with that on the PM.

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
Very few copies of the CE of M&C showed up to our local Best Buy stores. Went in during lunch to pick it up and found a small hole in what looked like a wall of the single discs versions. Over at the in-aisle display thing that holds about a hundred DVDs, only single disc versions were there. A small gap on the table with new media releases where the CE version should have been mocked me from between three stacks of single disc versions. Based on the holes, I'd say they wound up getting less than two dozen copies of the CE.

ScottNJ

Auditioning

It was the same here at Best Buy. I walked in about 10:15 this morning and they had only four Master and Commander CE's left!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was lucky enough:

1.) to convince my wife to let me stop by at Best Buy while we were out on doctor's visits.

2.) to grab a CE of M&C with the Bonus Disc.

Like many are reporting, there were only a handful (maybe a half-dozen) of the CEs versus hundreds of 1-disc versions (mostly widescreen). For those who don't know, the BB bonus disc is packaged inside the regular packaging.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Frigging Fry's sold out of the single-disk WS M&C. All they had left was tons of copies of the single-disk P&S M&C plus quite a few of the two-disk SE M&C. Being cheap I was going to get the single-disk WS. I'll drop by Costco tonight.....

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
If anyone's interested, my local Sam's Club has the Master and Commander Collector's Edition for $24.87.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator

You got ripped off, Jeff. The cashier at my Fred Meyer tried that too, but I showed her the ad, where M&C was right next to all the other box sets and she honored it. They also gave me the free give-away--a ship in a bottle labeled Master and Commander (tiny, but still cool).

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Best buy definitely underestimated the demand for the 2 disc version of MC. From their inventory screen it looked like they ordered a total of 60 copies between the 2 stores in the lansing area. The guy in front of me picked up the last copy in the one store, so I had one of the employees call the other store, where it turned out they had 1 copy left, which they held for me. Thankfully the BB employees at the stores near me are generally fairly nice people, even if they are somewhat clueless.

(From that inventory screen I saw, just about every BB that the computer listed as close (and some of those were in ohio) was out of the 2 disc version. Some of the detroit area stores still had a few, but they'd also ordered more to start with from what I could see. Walmart here was only a buck cheaper, and for a buck I figured I'd get the bonus disc.

John Swarce

Second Unit

Randy:

I did get the BB bonus disc (it was inside the package). I'm not going to bother with the price match (too much driving). Maybe the bonus disc is worth $10! :D

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I did not bother with a PM on this iether. I figure the bonus disc is worth a littl extra, and I did not feel like standing in line at costco. Later, Randy B A

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator

Had no problems with it today at the first Fred Meyer I stopped at. No questions or hassles at all. Got the free little ship in the bottle (mine looks more like the Acheron than Aubrey's ship, but haven't looked at it closely). Also got a free two-liter of Coke with my purchase. (Plus I used the coupon to get the Alien Quadrilogy for $59.99.)

Dave C.

Thanks Dave & Mike and everyone else who posts deal and sale info in these roundups!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks