Weekly Roundup 4/20/04 (Still me again)

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by David Lambert, Apr 18, 2004.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Splinter taught them to be ninja team: Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines... (quote from theme song of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

[c][​IMG][/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii. Also note that I cannot include Wal-Mart prices in the standard Roundup: Wal-Mart sets prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is not a way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart location. When it comes to Wal-Mart prices mentioned at all, just remember that "Your Milage May Vary".

[c]
    __________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__Costco_
    20th C.M.'s: .38 Special__$ 7.98__$ 7.99__$ 6.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    20th C.M.'s: ABC__________$ 7.98__$ 7.99__$ 6.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    20th C.M.'s: Asia_________$ 7.98__$ 7.99__$ 6.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    20th C.M.'s: Chely Wright_$ 7.98__$ 7.99__$ 6.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    20th C.M.'s: Cinderella___$ 7.98__$ 7.99__$ 6.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    20th C.M.'s: PattiLaBelle_$ 7.98__$ 7.99__$ 6.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    20th C.M.'s: Scorpions____$ 7.98__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    20th C.M.'s: V. Williams__$ 7.98__$ 7.99__$ 6.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    3 Women (Criterion)_______$27.96__$34.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Give My Regards/Broad St._$12.73__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    The Haunted Mansion (WS)__$20.99__$16.99__$15.99__$19.99__$17.99
    The King of Queens - S2___$27.96__$31.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    A League of Their Own SE__$21.22__$16.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    The Lost World - S2_______$41.99__$69.99__$59.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Mary & Rhoda______________$10.49__$10.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Master & Commander (WS)___$19.49__$15.99__$15.99__$_"LP"__$_N/A_
    Master & Comm 2-Disc (WS)_$25.99__$29.99__$29.99__$_N/A___$25.99
    The Office - S2___________$17.49__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Pirates of Tortuga________$12.73__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Reefer Madness (Restored)_$12.73__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Star!_____________________$10.49__$_N/A___$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    TMNTurtles ('87) - S1_____$12.73__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    The Third Wheel___________$25.49__$24.99__$22.99__$15.99__$_N/A_
    Wild Things (Unrated Ed.)_$13.96__$14.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Wild Things 2_____________$21.22__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Win A Date w/Tad H. (WS)__$18.89__$19.99__$17.99__$_"LP"__$_N/A_
    [/c]

* Mike Frezon is still recuperating from post-operative complications, but he's home and resting and should be returning to the Roundup next week. I'm filling in for him again, and I hope it's not a half-assed job, because there is a lot of cool stuff arriving this week. Enjoy!

* BE CAREFUL! The Haunted Mansion, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, & Win A Date With Tad Hamilton! are all available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* Costco.com is giving away a free pin with purchase of The Haunted Mansion. I have no idea if that offer is good in-stores as well, but if you want to check it out then click here.

* I'm getting conflicting info about which of the 20th Century Masters DVDs are due to be released this week. So if any are impossible-to-find, then it could be that they weren't released after all. I thought this week would be .38 Special, ABC, Cinderella, and The Scorpians. Now The Scorpians are only on 1 retailer's list, Asia (which I thought was 6/8) is moved up to this week, and Patti LaBelle came out of nowhere to appear on several lists. I also see stuff I didn't expect with Chely Wright (don't know her) and Vanessa Williams. Uh...I'll just through it all on the Roundup list and let you guys find what you can find. Okay? [​IMG]

* Best Buy: Master & Commander purchasers will get an exclusive bonus DVD called "Behind The Seas" (I think I read that right), a 20-minute making-of featurette.

* Best Buy: Save $5 when you purchase Haunted Mansion plus any other "Disney" section DVD at the same time.

* Best Buy: Save $10 when you buy both seasons of The Office on the same transaction.

* Best Buy: Get both Wild Things - Unrated and Wild Things 2 on the same purchase as a 2-for$30 deal ($15 each).

* I probably gave up too easily on finding titles at Best Buy's website, like Star! & 20th Century Masters: Scorpions. Sorry, but I have got a lot of stuff to do today for my family, so I can't spend all day searching for them. Perhaps someone will have better luck looking up and posting prices than I did. My apologies!

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
    -------------------------
    None!

2. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Hey it's the 20th! I guess when you have been away so long :)

PS. Master & Commander and Haunted Mansion are both $12.99 after $10 rebate at FYE stores (or at least the one by me...)

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Who is this Dave guy that keeps posting the roundups?!? [​IMG]

$10-14 bucks more for one disc in the M&C set...? Hmmm... I'll have to think about that. O' what the heck! I'm a sucker I'll buy it! :sigh:
    Here's the Best Buy bonus disc discription.

Chris S.

4. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I'm still debating which version of Master&Commander to get....
    TMNT is a given, Reefer Madness is a possibilty as are Office S2, and Wild Things UR.

A couple of Asian films come out this week too that I may pick up, Tube and The Park.

5. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

Dave, as much as I like Mike's roundup, you're filling his shoes mighty well sir. Keep it up...

TMNT is mine. Come Tuesday, it will be spinning out of control in my DVD player as I watch every bit of it.

That having been said, the countdown begins: One week until my bank account takes a hit like no other...

-The Cooler
    -Love, Actually
    -Big Fish
    -E.R. Season Two
    -Saved By The Bell Seasons Three/Four

And that's just the guarantees. That's not counting any "2 for $20's" or the likes. It's gonna be a good week...

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

It was like deja vu all over again! [​IMG]

Not sure what I'll pick up this week. I've been surprisingly reluctant to buy many DVD's lately since I've discovered the wonder of Blockbuster's previously-viewed sales. Go ahead, call me cheap! [​IMG]

I am impressed to see Circuit City competing so well with Best Buy, though. If they would just fix their DVD sections, it would be so much easier to shop there.

7. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

For those who live by a Fred Meyer store, this week's ad contains a coupon for 20% off all box set collector's editions. This includes the new Master and Commander CE, which you can get for $23.99 after the 20% is subtracted from their $29.99 price.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Cheap? I think in Vermont/New England its called "frugal"! [​IMG] Anyway, isn't that why we all congregate here each week?

9. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

X2 - Xmen United is $9.99 at Fry's.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Back to being yours now, Mike! :wink:

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    last week master + commander 2 dvd was showing up as 25.99 at target.com.

i havent checked today yet.

12. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Just King of Queens for me this week.

13. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

I was going to get Master and Commmander, but I forgot about the stupid duo release for the single and double disc version. And because of that, the double disc is expensive and the other version is cheap. Oh well, it Haunted Mansion for me, unless I get attacked by a Hitchhiking Ghost on the way to the store...

Oh yeah, who is this Dave person again? Is he that guy who sells woman shoes at the Mall? [​IMG]

14. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Malcolm, if you're not in a rush to have them on Tues, I would just get the dvds at circuitcity.com with free shipping. I agree CC stores are usually pretty bad in the cd and dvd areas except for the new releases for cds which they tend to have alot of stock.

15. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

That's because target.com is a part of amazon.com.

16. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Nothing I need to buy this week. Whew! Probably going for Big Fish and Saved by the Bell the week after. Come on, April 27th. Get here!

How many episodes are in the original series of TMNT season 1? Man, that one is tempting. I worshipped those guys in third grade.

17. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

From what I understand, thereare nine episodes in the season one TMNT.

It contains the entire first season, which consisted of a five-part miniseries (hence, five episodes), as well as four episodes touted as "never-before-seen" from the tenth season.

18. Robert Wainwright

Robert Wainwright Stunt Coordinator

Just M&C this week. On the fence about which one... oh hell I'm a sucker for 2D.

Get well Mike!

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

Tag, you're "it"....

20. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'll be getting Turtles season 1 this week and King of Queens down the line.

You know, before Mike started doing the roundup there was another guy named David Lambert that did this, I wonder if you guys know each other? Now that guy had some good roundups!

Thanks for it David, and Mike I'm still wishing you a speedy recovery.