What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-14-2015 (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
"We need an actress who can pass herself off as a boy. I know, let's cast the single most feminine babe ever to grace the silver screen! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

sullivan_zeca.jpg

Nice try.

Great movie, though. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
"We need an actress who can pass herself off as a boy. I know, let's cast the single most feminine babe ever to grace the silver screen! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Nice try.

Great movie, though. :)

I think the missing image would go a long way towards explaining the content of that post...

:laugh:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hm, dunno why that didn't work. Check again!

(Then again, do you really need an excuse to google Veronica Lake? ;) )

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dennis Nicholls said:
Didn't they name the "Lakers" NBA team after her?
Not sure if you're kidding. The Lakers are originally from Minneapolis and are named for the "Lakes" as the nickname is the land of 10 thousand lakes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On the current Lakers wiki page:

The Los Angeles Lakers are an American professional basketball team based in Los Angeles, California. They play in the Pacific Division of the Western Conference in the National Basketball Association (NBA). The Lakers play their home games at Staples Center, an arena shared with the Los Angeles Clippers of the NBA, the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA, and the Los Angeles Kings of the NHL.[3] The Lakers are one of the most successful teams in the history of the NBA, and have won 16 NBA championships, their last being in 2010. As of 2015, the Lakers are the most valuable franchise in the NBA according to Forbes, having an estimated value of $2.6 billion.[4]

The franchise began with the 1947 purchase of a disbanded team, the Detroit Gems of the NBL. The new team began playing in Minneapolis, Minnesota, calling themselves the Minneapolis Lakers in honor of the state's nickname, "Land of 10,000 Lakes".[5] Initially a member of the National Basketball League, the Lakers won the 1948 NBL championship before joining the rival Basketball Association of America and winning five of the next six BAA and NBA championships in Minneapolis after the NBA formed in 1949. The team was propelled by center George Mikan, who is described by the NBA's official website as the league's "first superstar".[6] After struggling financially in the late 1950s following Mikan's retirement, they relocated to Los Angeles before the 1960–61 season.

Anyone want to offer the following change to the highlighted section above?:

The new team began playing in Minneapolis, Minnesota, calling themselves the Minneapolis Lakers in honor of the single most feminine babe ever to grace the silver screen, Veronica Lake.

:biggrin:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Batman vs. Robin was sitting in my mailbox when I got home last night. Naturally, I didn't have time to even open the case...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Can anybody confirm that either Sony or FX made a mistake running the "available now" commercial for "Justified: The Final Season" during the finale last night? Surely it can't be out already.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Adam Lenhardt said:
Can anybody confirm that either Sony or FX made a mistake running the "available now" commercial for "Justified: The Final Season" during the finale last night? Surely it can't be out already.

It's available for pre-order, which wasn't that case after previous seasons finished airing. The BD wouldn't come out until shortly before the new season. So it makes sense they would advertise for ordering this now while the prospects are hot and the show is done. Hey, they killed the hat. You can't go on after that.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Clint Eastwood fans. The region-free UK version of the Clint Eastwood collection that includes 9 Clint Eastwood films (including never before BDs of Play Misty for Me and The Beguiled) is only $36 U.S. on Amazon UK. That's $4 per film. The listed price on the site is 25 pounds, but when I placed the order, it reduced to 20 pounds, hence the $36. I was gobsmacked. Link below:

The American version of this comes out May 5 and doesn't include his directorial film Breezy with William Holden, and that box set sells for $71.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clint-Eastwood-Blu-ray-Collection-Region/dp/B00KQHWAR8/

Move fast if interested. I don't know how long that price is good for. Just a couple days ago it was 47 pounds, or more around $72 U.S.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
It's available for pre-order, which wasn't that case after previous seasons finished airing. The BD wouldn't come out until shortly before the new season. So it makes sense they would advertise for ordering this now while the prospects are hot and the show is done. Hey, they killed the hat. You can't go on after that.
What confused me is that the commercial advertised that the Final Season was "available now". My guess is that they had that commercial ready to go but meant to air a preorder commercial and got the two mixed up. Amazon is showing a release date of June 2 for the final season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks