What's new

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks as always, Mike!

I cancelled my pre-order of The Dark Crystal from Amazon yesterday. I'm finding that I'm no longer getting a better deal from the pre-orders, so why should The River get my ducats? Both Walmart and Best Buy have it for the same price.
I am also debating on whether to get the blu-ray digibook or the BB SteelBook Exclusive. I'm going to go out on Tuesday to decide. I hope I don't feel the need to purchase both.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks as always, Mike!

I cancelled my pre-order of The Dark Crystal from Amazon yesterday. I'm finding that I'm no longer getting a better deal from the pre-orders, so why should The River get my ducats? Both Walmart and Best Buy have it for the same price.
I am also debating on whether to get the blu-ray digibook or the BB SteelBook Exclusive. I'm going to go out on Tuesday to decide. I hope I don't feel the need to purchase both.
If you are a My Best Buy rewards member, you get a $5 rewards certificate if you purchase the 4K Steelbook of Dark Crystal. It's a Sony release and a catalog title, so you shouldn't have to fight for a copy.

I'm hoping to have my 4K reviews of Thor up tomorrow and Dark Crystal by Tuesday.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'll be getting the BB steelbook release of Thor, but otherwise that's it for me.
I hope you pre-ordered it, otherwise you may want to camp out at the local BB store. Each store typically only gets 4-5 steelbooks (if that) per format on Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm titles. I should know, since I used to work for BB and we used to get yelled at a lot by customers when they would sell out in the first few minutes (and, no, they did not get sold to employees, at least at the store I worked at, as our managers were very strict about putting these out just as the door opened).

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
No Amazon, no discounts, no collector’s eds
Best Buy:
$27.99 for standard 4K (save $2)
$34.99 for steelbook 4K (exclusive, no savings, no additional extras)
$24.99 for standard Blu-ray (save $2)
$27.99 for steelbook Blu-ray (save$2)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think that’s why I was confused by Sam’s comment.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Carlo:

full

Thanks Mike. I was afraid of that. At least I can buy it anywhere.

J. Carr

Auditioning
Real Name
John Carr
Thanks Mike. Nothing for me this week; I guess I'm getting pickier as my shelves are now full and overflowing.... These days I'm buying very few new films, even those I see at the theater. Most are not good enough for re-watching, in my opinion.

My big complaint is that many of the TV series I want to buy -- like "Bosh" -- are not available from Amazon as Blue-rays or DVDS.... Is this the coming thing? Stream, or else--fuggetaboutit!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Best Buy:
$27.99 for standard 4K (save $2)
$34.99 for steelbook 4K (exclusive, no savings, no additional extras)
$24.99 for standard Blu-ray (save $2)
$27.99 for steelbook Blu-ray (save$2)

Those were not in the WRU when I last looked. (Edit: still not) Still, $2 off MSRP? Nah.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I'm holding off on Thor UHD also.

I pre ordered Dark Crystal UHD for $19.99, and I'm sure Thor will outsell it by a mile. So I'm not sure why the steep price.

I'd gladly pay the $34.99 for the UHD steelbook if it had the IMAX shifting ratio 3d disc included, like Kong and GotG2. But as is, I can wait.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Something strange going on with the Target-exclusive Blu for Thor 3. It's not available on Target.com and it's showing as out of stock at all Target stores within 100 miles of me. Been checking periodically since it moved out of pre-order status this morning.

Never ceases to amaze me when retailers have rollout problems with their own exclusives.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm not shocked, honestly. The Target app doesn't show any within 50 miles of me...then again, it said the same about Coco 4k last year and the store I randomly stopped at had at least 7 on the shelf...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Never ceases to amaze me when retailers have rollout problems with their own exclusives.

This is why I've lately sworn off exclusive editions. I used to go all out for them, but in the last year or so especially, it's just not been worth the hassle to me. If they're going to make it difficult to get their exclusives, then I don't need them.

My all-time favorite example was when Django Unchained came out and Target had the steelbook. My Target in Indiana didn't have any in stock at all. I ended up getting one because a friend in Nebraska bought one for me at his Target and mailed it to me. But that he would have to do that was completely ridiculous

then again, it said the same about Coco 4k last year and the store I randomly stopped at had at least 7 on the shelf...

Your Target had Coco last year? Man, that is some early exclusive. ;) :laugh:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ended up going to Target in person because I had store credit I wanted to use up, and I figured worst came to worst I'd just buy the regular Blu-Ray.

When I got to the back of the store I was shocked at how much their movie/tv/music section had dwindled. They had one new release stand for CDs, and that's it. The DVDs and Blu-Rays are down to about 2 and a half short aisles. There were three copies of the UHD release and one copy of the DVD, but no Blu-Rays (Target exclusive or regular). I asked one the people at the electronics desk if there were any more copies and he was clueless, but flagged down a co-worker who directed me to a large cardboard display by the checkout lines. I nabbed the last copy of the Target exclusive Blu-Ray. The cashier was very jealous.:)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks