What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features

full

– Star Wars: The Last Jedi – 2017

full

– Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood – 1968-2001

full

– Joan of Arc – 1948

full

– Mr. Robot: Season 3 – 2017

full

– The King of Jazz – 1930

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey RoundUppers!

This is just like the "old days"...me posting up the RoundUp at Midnight Sunday morning. It's just the way things worked out for me today as I had a ton of other things to deal with.

Anyway, it's a big week--rather obviously--with a Star Wars release...but also a number of interesting catalog titles.

I have pre-ordered for this week Joan of Arc (1948) and Mister Roger's Neighborhood: It's a Beautiful Day.

I don't know if everyone saw my post last week...but as I was researching this week's RoundUp, Amazon's sales figures seem to indicate that the DVD release of various Mister Roger's Neighborhood shows brings it in as the 2nd most popular new release title of the week (according to Amazon sales). To me that is an amazing--and rather positive--thing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks as always, Mike! Definitely a big week.

I've had the Best Buy exclusive steelbook for The Last Jedi 4K release preordered for in-store pickup since mid-February.

The first season of "Legion" coming out on Blu-Ray is nearly miraculous, given Fox's antipathy toward TV on Blu-Ray. I'm definitely buying it day one, both because it's a great show that should benefit from Blu-Ray quality, and to support more TV on Blu-Ray releases from Fox. If Best Buy's stocking it in stores, I'll grab it Tuesday when I'm there to pick up Star Wars. Otherwise, I'll order it from Amazon.

If I do end up getting "Legion" from Amazon, and Amazon price matches Target's sale price for Wonder on Blu-Ray, I'll probably pick that up as well. But $13 is quite low enough to merit a special trip to Target.

...but also a number of interesting catalog titles.
I saw the Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero Blu when I was perusing the Warner Archive site for the current 4 for $11 each sale, and was fascinated by it. Unlike Mask of the Phantasm, this was a direct-to-video title so I figured all of the elements would have been SD. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they're using it as a test run for the upcoming "Batman: The Animated Series" HD remastering.

I don't know if everyone saw my post last week...but as I was researching this week's RoundUp, Amazon's sales figures seem to indicate that the DVD release of various Mister Roger's Neighborhood shows brings it in as the 2nd most popular new release title of the week (according to Amazon sales). To me that is an amazing--and rather positive--thing.
As a kid, we had PBS in our house before we had Nickelodeon and long before we had the Disney Channel. "Mr. Rogers's Neighborhood" was always my favorite as a small child, because he'd venture out into the real world and do things like show us how factories work. And the repetitive nature of his routine inside his (TV) home provided stability and structure that I found very comforting as a small child.

Seeing interviews with him on YouTube and elsewhere, I'm struck again by the essential kindness and decency of this man, who was ordained as a Presbyterian minister and charged with creating wholesome children’s television programming. He certainly did that, that until very nearly his death.

There was a four and a half interview he did with Karen Herman four years before his death for the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. In the ninth part and final part, Herman wraps up the interview by listing off names that alternate between real people that worked on the show and characters within the show. Some of the real people had prominent roles in the production, and some had what seemed to be very minor roles in the production. But without fail, Fred Rogers spoke about them in depth and with very personal detail. He took the time to get to know his staff as human beings, the way only the best leaders do.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm so excited about Criterion's King of Jazz and Women in Love, neither of which I ever thought I'd live to see on Blu-ray.

Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike!

I cancelled all of my pre-orders with Amazon, as I continue to find better prices elsewhere. This week Deep Discount beat them with pricing, and that was before I took off 10% of the entire order with their Shark Madness Sale. I also needed to divert some of my monies to Warner Archive with their 9th Birthday Anniversary Sale.
I know I've said this before, but I feel it again needs to be stated that all these sales are costing me money!

Purchased from Kino:
  • The Outer Limits (Season One)
Purchased from Deep Discount:
  • Assault on Precinct 13 (Blu-ray Steelbook)
  • Prince of Darkness (Blu-ray Steelbook)
  • Peyton Place – Part 3 (along with Parts 1 & 2)
Holding off for better pricing:
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood: It’s a Beautiful Day
  • The King of Jazz (waiting for B&N Criterion Sale)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I had SubZero preordered, but cancelled. I’ll pick it up at some point in the future. Last Jedi will be part of a Disney Movie Club at some point.

I might bite on the BB 3/$45 UHD combo. I’ll have to see.

Thank you Mike!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I had SubZero preordered, but cancelled. I’ll pick it up at some point in the future. Last Jedi will be part of a Disney Movie Club at some point.

Thank you Mike!
I believe it already is

Mike_Nepo

Grip
Funny how Amazon shows there's a 3D version of Last Jedi. Is that a typo, or is it something that's probably only a non-US release?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Strange how Amazon isn't pricing The Last Jedi.

Not strange in the least. Same as virtually every Disney in hte last 16 months

Funny how Amazon shows there's a 3D version of Last Jedi. Is that a typo, or is it something that's probably only a non-US release?

3rd Party and showing the UK logos and only twice the direct price.
The 3rd Party is nearly $20 higher than my 3D Steelbook from Zavvi

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I guess i’m picking up my “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” disc at Target on Tuesday. *sigh*

I really miss the “good old days” when I could just preorder everything I wanted months in advance from Amazon knowing that A) I was getting the best release day price available, and B) The discs would be delivered promptly on the first day they were available.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Does anyone have a comparison of what's in the Target version of Star Wars: The Last Jedi versus the Best Buy exclusive version? No flyers from BB so who's to know?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Does anyone have a comparison of what's in the Target version of Star Wars: The Last Jedi versus the Best Buy exclusive version? No flyers from BB so who's to know?

Best Buy Steelbook...

6169016_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

Target...

53211599_Alt01

"40-page booklet includes an inside, behind-the-scenes look at the making of Star Wars: The Last Jedi with exclusive images, facts and personal insights from writer/director Rian Johnson. PLUS receive the exclusive featurette “Meet the Porgs” about the making of the lovable characters."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks