Weekly Roundup 3/19

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Mar 17, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[c][​IMG][/c]
    Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
    [c]
    _________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub
    18 Again!_______________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Crimes of Passion SE____$14.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Donnie Darko SE_________$22.49__$19.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Hunchback/Notre Dame____$22.49__$17.99__$19.99__$17.49__$_N/A_
    Hunchback/Notre Dame 2__$19.99__$17.99__$19.99__$17.49__$18.99
    Oz - Complete 1st Ssn___$49.99__$49.99__$39.99__$_N/A___$44.98
    Riding in Cars w/Boys___$20.97__$19.99__$19.99__$17.49__$18.49
    Seems Like Old Times____$18.71__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Soul Man SE_____________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
    Strictly Ballroom SE____$19.99__$22.99__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A_
    Training Day SE_________$19.99__$14.99__$15.99__$16.99__$17.99
    [/c]
    * [rant]Buy both Hunchback of Notre Dame and HoND 2 at Best Buy, and in addition to the very good sale prices they will give you a $5 gift card, good to use to save money on your next purchase! Cool! [/rant] Someone tell me if the sequel is any good...I might take them up on this very nice deal.
    * Last week it was commented that Circuity City seems to be making an effort to beat Best Buy on the loss leaders. BB apparently strikes back this week, with not only the 2-Hunchbacks deal, but a super-low price on Training Day that noone else can touch! Except for Oz, it looks like BB is mostly back on top. Hmmm.
    * Target's can't beat BB's price on Training Day, either...they clock in at $16.99. They also advertise "Low Price" on Riding in Cars with Boys, Hunchback, and Hunchback 2 (you get free microwavable popcorn with Hunchback 2!).
    * K-Mart is sitting on $19.95 prices for TD and RiCwB. Also, you save $4 instantly if you buy HoND2 and any one of the following: HoND, Atlantis (1-Disc), Peter Pan SE, or Cinderella 2. All 5 Disney discs named are $19.95 each.
    * Suncoast's in-store flyer right now doesn't exactly feature any bargains, but it DOES have a nifty list of the back of popular Easter Eggs, and how to access them. It might be fun to nab if happen to be in the mall!
    The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
    -------------------------
    •• 2010: The Year We Make Contact $24.98 $14.98
    •• Blade $24.98 $19.98
    •• Creepshow $19.98 $14.98
    •• Father Ted: Complete Series Vol. 1 $34.98 $24.98
    •• Full Force DVD Giftset $89.98 $74.92
    •• Grumpier Old Men $19.98 $14.98
    •• House on Haunted Hill, The (1999) $19.98 $14.98
    •• Island of Dr. Moreau, The (1996) $19.98 $14.98
    •• Lawnmower Man, The (New Line Platinum Series) $19.98 $14.98
    •• Lost Souls $24.98 $19.98
    •• Mars Attacks! $19.98 $14.98
    •• Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil $19.98 $14.98
    •• My Fellow Americans $19.98 $14.98
    •• Passenger 57 $19.98 $14.98
    •• Point of No Return $19.98 $14.98
    Other Price Reductions not listed at VideoTropics:
    --------------------------------------------------
    None!

2. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Ballin' Outta Control is $8.99 and $9.99 at Circuit City and Best Buy respectively, if you're into that sort of thing. [​IMG]
    (It's a Shaq DVD, by the way.)
    Also, if you're still having difficulty locating Romeo + Juliet: SE, try Wal-Mart. I spotted it in the "cheap DVD" rack they stick in the middle of the aisle for $14.44 yesterday.

3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Oz is only $29.99 at outpost.com/fry's. My order is "backordered" at the moment though. Perhaps they don't ship until release date.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm going to get Soul Man just for that priceless moment when they are playing basketball in the gym. [​IMG]

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Speaking of Blade, this week it's $12.99 at Best Buy. Looks like I'll be buying Oz for $38.99 from Best Buy, since they do 110% of the difference of a lower price for 30 days [​IMG]

6. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Joseph - Thanks for the tip on Oz at Outpost. Total price with second-day air is only $35.94. Not too shabby and I've always had good luck with Outpost. (Sure miss that free overnight shipping, though!)

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Good night! $14.99 for Training Day? I was on the fence for this one (loved it, but skeptical on the rewatch factor), but I think I can chuck $15 at it. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Finaly, a break for my wallet, as it's a weak week for new releases.

I enjoyed Training Day, but don't think I'll be adding the DVD to my collection.

9. Mark Richter

Mark Richter Stunt Coordinator

Easy week for me this week. Nothing I really want. Next week is another story. Star Trek Next Generation One and All in the Family Season One. Need to take mortgage on my home theater [​IMG]

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Best Buy never gives me 110%. Circuit City does though. I guess I need to take that up with my local Best Buy.

Trying to decide on Oz.

Trying to responsibly not buy either Hunchback films. I never thought the first one was amongst the best (it couldn't decide if it wanted to be for adults or for kids) but why would Haley Joel Osment agree to be in the SEQUEL???

11. Kyle McKnight

John, do take that up with them. It's company policy. Read all the print by the customer service desk where they have all of their return information posted.

12. Kyle McKnight

David, how do you know Best Buy will have a $14.99 price on Training Day? My local ad has a "Hot Price" tag on it, but right next to it is the $14.99 tag for Heat. They don't have a price listed for TD in this one. There is a red tag that says "Save $5 instantly with the purchase of TD & Heat."

13. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Kyle,

This has been gone over a thousand times. But, for your benefit, the price is derived from the bestbuy.com price which is 99.99% accurate to the in-store price on Tuesday.

-Chad

14. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

2 questions.

Does this 110% apply to everything (DVD players) or just DVDs?

Is this an instore thing or can this apply to web page purchases?

thanks

Marc

15. Kyle McKnight

Marc_E...I only know that's in store prices. They will refund 110% of the difference if you find a lower advertised price on any exact item within 30 days.

Thanks Chad. Please feel free to slap me next time.

16. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Kyle, I'l keep that in mind. [​IMG]
    I was just trying to save David from explaining it again. It seems that once a week someone asks that question. Maybe he should add it as a disclaimer, just to avoid the inevitable "Hot Price" question.
    -Chad

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Chad, I may just do that...thank you for the assist!
    For those of you thinking of next week's All In The Family release, catch my review of that set over at TVShowsOnDVD.com.
    I hesitated to mention that this week, but since Mark mentioned the title already... [​IMG]

18. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Dave,

Great review of All in the Family 1st season set. I will certainly be looking to pick this up soon. I remember watching some of the later seasons with my dad and grandfather. They loved that show. I look foward to seeing the first season, which I had never seen before, or have maybe seen snippets of from syndication...

Eric.

19. Pat Ford

Pat Ford Stunt Coordinator

I bought Hunchback and Strictly Ballroom at Best Buy today, and when the woman rung me up, she said I get $5 off of Hunchback, plus she gave me an additional $5 Best Buy gift card. Hunchback total came to $7.99. Not sure if this is a real promotion or if she was just confused...hey, I'm not complaining.

20. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Seconding the "great review" comment. This is (perhaps) my all-time favorite tv show and I'm really hoping my pre-order gets here early. I just wish Fox owned it instead of Columbia. I hate the Larry Sanders package, and this looks even less exciting (same graphics on front and inside panel) but it's what's on the discs that counts. Anyone who doesn't remember/hasn't seen the first season is in for a treat. As they don't seem to be spending a whole lot of time on the extras (could you smell the sarcasm?) I'm hoping we get at least 3 seasons a tear,