Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So this is a little bit unusual.

Normally, if I have a movie pre-ordered with Amazon for Tuesday delivery, by the time I wake up on Monday morning, I find that it had shipped overnight. This is almost always the case, including each of the last two weeks in a row that I've had new titles coming. Surprisingly, though, that was not the case this morning with The Shape of Water, which is still supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Not only has it still not been shipped, but the order page says "To be delivered tomorrow by 11pm," which is weird, because usually they guarantee delivery by 8pm.

8pm vs. 11pm doesn't matter to me, really, but I noticed he change and thought it was odd. Typically, Amazon uses the post office to deliver to us and things just come in the mail, which of course is here before 11pm on any given day.

For others who have ordered The Shape of Water from Amazon: has your copy shipped yet? And which version did you order? My affected copy is the standard Blu-ray+DVD combo pack (as opposed to UHD, which I would love but don't have a use for.) I suspect that Amazon probably has a ton of pre-orders to fulfill on this title, but I still thought it was worth bringing up here. I wonder if the increased demand for this title is responsible for the delay in shipping it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was in BB this morning and they had an endcap sale on some UHD titles. 3/$50...all the DC titles (Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Batman v. Superman, Watchmen), Kong, both versions of Blade Runner, Inception, Kong, Fantastic Beasts and a few others. If I could have found a third title, I might have picked some up.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to check out the local Best Buys.

Mike Frezon

Premium

Normally, if I have a movie pre-ordered with Amazon for Tuesday delivery, by the time I wake up on Monday morning, I find that it had shipped overnight. This is almost always the case, including each of the last two weeks in a row that I've had new titles coming. Surprisingly, though, that was not the case this morning with The Shape of Water, which is still supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Not only has it still not been shipped, but the order page says "To be delivered tomorrow by 11pm," which is weird, because usually they guarantee delivery by 8pm.

8pm vs. 11pm doesn't matter to me, really, but I noticed he change and thought it was odd. Typically, Amazon uses the post office to deliver to us and things just come in the mail, which of course is here before 11pm on any given day.

For others who have ordered The Shape of Water from Amazon: has your copy shipped yet? And which version did you order? My affected copy is the standard Blu-ray+DVD combo pack (as opposed to UHD, which I would love but don't have a use for.) I suspect that Amazon probably has a ton of pre-orders to fulfill on this title, but I still thought it was worth bringing up here. I wonder if the increased demand for this title is responsible for the delay in shipping it.
I haven't received any e-mails or texts yet telling me that my Amazon package with The Shape of Water (and The Good Fight: S1) has shipped yet. Which is strange.

But...in the "Orders" section of my Amazon account, it says that both will be arriving tomorrow by 8pm.

But...then when I click on the "Track this package" link there is NO tracking number AND it lists the 11pm time.

That IS odd.

Without the notifications that it has shipped, I am doubtful these will be on time, Jake.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've got a book coming from Amazon tomorrow via the USPS and even that says 11 PM as well. I'm guessing this is the new standard time that Amazon will list on all deliveries to cover the general lateness of their Amazon delivery service. Most of my shipments that get delivered by Amazon don't leave the warehouse until after 2 PM so 6 or 7 PM delivery is the norm. I'd guess that they're probably using the 11 PM time to stop people from complaining to customer service when their stuff doesn't arrive by 8 PM.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

My UHD copy says the same thing, but I do have a tracking number. Unfortunately, it has been in the "Label Created - Package has left seller facility and is in transit to carrier" status since Saturday. This means it *may* have fallen off the truck, which seems to happen all too frequently with Amazon.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Just got the texts on the shipping notices for both items (which makes me think they're not in the same package?)...and they say I'll get them tomorrow.

Late notice. But, we'll see.

Mine's a UHD The Shape of Water, too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last week, I had The Breadwinner and Lady Bird coming, which I ordered at different times, but they were packaged together. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Amazon did the same thing for you with Shape of Water and Good Fight. Glad to hear you got the shipping notice. Mine has yet to be marked as such and it's almost 2pm here.

I expect it should probably be coming from their big distribution center in Phoenix, as most of my deliveries do, which isn't too far away, but still, that's odd.

I don't need it tomorrow night necessarily, but it's just the principle of the thing. I suppose if they miss it I can get them to extend Prime again, which wouldn't be a bad outcome.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Last week, I had The Breadwinner and Lady Bird coming, which I ordered at different times, but they were packaged together. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Amazon did the same thing for you with Shape of Water and Good Fight.
I would fully expect these two long-time pre-orders to be packaged together. That is what usually happens.

But the shipping notice, in that case, would usually say something like "The Shape of Water and one other item has been shipped and will be delivered by..."

In this case, I got two separate shipping texts and e-mails.

None of this really matters. That's just what usually happens.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
All that matters is that it actually arrives sometime in the next two weeks, as it is a gift my wife purchased for my birthday, and she will not let me open it until then.

I've had many packages get stuck in this status, miss their "guaranteed" delivery date, and eventually get lost in transit, yet Amazon will make you wait almost a week before eventually just having you order it again, usually at a higher price point, after crediting your account at the originally ordered price.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, my Shape of Water shipped, finally, but with UPS instead of the post office for whatever reason. It is being packaged with a knife my dad ordered the other day, even though my order has been standing since February and his was much more recent.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I picked up Three Billboards, Shape of Water, and Justice League in UHD from Best Buy and got The Last Jedi from iTunes.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
UPS arrived with my copy of Shape of Water and Dad's pizza knife about 4:30. So, all's well that ends well.

Reactions: dpippel

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What kind of pizza is planned?!? Yumm!
That's a question for Dad. It's just a knife to cut pizza, so far as I understand it,but it was his order, not mine, so I don't really know. Typically we do take-out pizza about once a month or so from a local deep-dish Chicago style place, but I'm not sure what prompted him to order the knife now, since we just had pizza this month and won't be needing the knife for a while. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
I HATE when pizza places don't cut the pizza all the way through! (I should save that for the "Things that annoy me" thread!) :D

I also hate it when a sandwich isn't cut all the way through and you have to break it apart...inevitably making a mess.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
[sidebar]

To be totally fair, the deep dish place we use does cut it, but there's so much stuff loaded on there that it sometimes just needs a bit more work. Also, since there is so much stuff on each piece, sometimes you don't always need a whole piece. I've eaten like two and a half before and felt full. So, the use for the pizza cutter may not reflect on them not doing their jobs.

Or my dad could be planning to make pizza, I don't know. I like the deep dish place so much I rarely want anything other than it when it comes to pizza. I also really didn't take the time to ask him about it when it came because I was so eager to get my hands on The Shape of Water that that was my main focus.

[/sidebar]

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled Weekly Roundup thread already in progress.

So, Mike: which on are you going to watch first? The Shape of Water or The Good Fight? Since I only got one thing this week, I don't rally have to make a choice like that this time.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Target this week has EXCLUSIVE LENTICULAR PACKAGING AND A 60-PAGE DIGIBOOK with its Blu-ray copies of Justice League. I’m not sure if there’s a premium price for this exclusive edition since they only show a price of $27.99 for it. That price seems high…but there’s no other Blu price listed. So that MIGHT be their everyday Justice League Blu price.
Both online and in the Target B&M there is currently a $3.00 premium as the non-exclusive Blu-ray of JL(part1) is $24.99

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16